Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Del C

Veteran
Interesting analysis Del but I think you are missing one logic step. Improving your start will come at a cost. For instance, yesterday I averaged 327W for 2 minutes at the start - and was still in 100th place of 344 riders (all cats). I then had to drop into just above threshold to stay with my group. In other words, the harder you go at the start, the less you have for the rest of the race and it becomes a balance.

I'd suggest if you practice harder starts, you add on some hard VO2 followed by some immediate threshold - if you want to simulate racing.

Anyway, great going getting to B - and you'll just get stronger :okay:
Yes good point.

I did watch your video yesterday and was surprised how much power you were having to put out to hold your place. As you say, it's impossible to stay at the level you were riding without having to back off and keep yourself out of the red. I need to find some workouts that follow the pattern you suggest.

Yesterday was really odd. To get blown out the back that early was really frustrating. As I said before, it was then like riding a 34 km time trial. The one thing I was happy with was that I didn't back off and kept riding, so at least that's something to build on.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Today was a bit slow so

to give you a little chuckle, my abysmal race yesterday

View: https://youtu.be/P2tPbEq_ZW8

bobinski

Legendary Member
Interesting analysis Del but I think you are missing one logic step. Improving your start will come at a cost. For instance, yesterday I averaged 327W for 2 minutes at the start - and was still in 100th place of 344 riders (all cats). I then had to drop into just above threshold to stay with my group. In other words, the harder you go at the start, the less you have for the rest of the race and it becomes a balance.

I'd suggest if you practice harder starts, you add on some hard VO2 followed by some immediate threshold - if you want to simulate...
There are some SF vids ( and no doubt TR and Zwift sessions) that try to replicate this and they are nasty but are just the type of effort you budding racers need to work on. Especially you now Del 😁

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Today was a bit slow so

to give you a little chuckle, my abysmal race yesterday

View: https://youtu.be/P2tPbEq_ZW8

Yeah, watching your HR creeping up, I can see you you needed to stop :eek:

I can also see why I'm nowhere in the picture out the pens and the first minute or so .... far too big watts for me to push and then recover to ride on. I didn't get to the front group until we hit that first incline!

LBHIFI

Veteran
After doing 4000 km's of those, I have now developed allergic reactions when I see or hear the Z-word mentioned

They have updated the team standings after last nights race and we are still in Silver potion
And the individual rankings have been updated

F6B0C873-589A-49F0-AA2D-9CEE84946DD0.png

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Just checked the results on ZP and I don’t understand how some of those big watts are still placed there is even a B cat racer placed at 14th ?
Looks like the guy in 14th had never raced before (or at least not whilst being linked to ZP) so he could ride in C as a first race. He's now been promoted to B for the next stage.

What is funny, is the young chap in 12th. He's the guy that destroyed the field in the Richmond race (with similar w/kg as last night) and was DQ'd but because last night he didn't beat the 'favourites' he's been allowed to keep his race position :laugh: Slightly hypocritical of the organisers ... I bet he was DQ'd on Richmond because the lead riders complained about him :laugh:

Top Bottom