Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Hello folks,

I've just arrived here at the end of the thread and was wondering if any of you could offer a bit of advice/point me in the right direction.

Mrs Tenkay and I have our first smart trainer arriving on Tuesday. It's an "Elite Novo" from Halfords. Mrs Tenkay is an experienced cyclist and has done LEJOG self supported, I've only been cycling for a couple of years and all of that on a Brompton.

I'm on the very vulnerable list ( over 70, underlying health issues) so not allowed out of the house, Mrs Tenkay is in her 60's with no health issues so she can get her daily exercise OK.

We're both keen to explore the possibilities that the new trainer offers, especially the courses like Yorkshire.

Mrs Tenkay and I were wondering if there is a particular app/platform suitable for a beginner that will allow us to bimble along to the best of our abilities, and then perhaps offer more of a challenge as our fitness improves.

Apologies if this is the wrong forum to ask the question.

Tenkay
Hello Tenkay

Zwift is the obvious social training platform. You can ride socially or competitively in races. Either is possible and neither interfere with your ride. Casual riding is just that, log on start ride and pedal away for as long as you want. Use a decent fan to blow across your body or you will overheat very quickly- especially now weather getting warmer.

mjd1988

Guru
Welcome :hello:

The elite Novo will work with just about any 3rd party app. This thread is zwift (as is the Yorkshire course) and it will definitely be compatible with it.

There are lots of events set for different levels - based on your watts/kg which zwift will work out for you if you go for a spin on it. I'd recommend reading

https://zwiftinsider.com/getting-on-zwift-cycling/

Which will give you some of the basics

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Hi all.

Glad to see everyone still biking away. I’ve been tied up quite a bit building an Irish Zwift Community team so not getting much time on here. :sad:

Despite working from home for 3 weeks now I’m as busy as ever. I have quite a few friends who are self employed in the building trade and the like and it’s been tough on them. Me, the wife and two kids haven’t left the house other than a nip to the shop less than a mile away and a few shortish outdoor rides. I feel like I’m in a bit of a bubble with the news my only outlet for what’s happening in the real world. Hope everyone stays safe! Mind yourselves.

And on a positive note I got my downgrade to Cat B yesterday!!!:whistle:

Bit of a double edged sword Alan. Stoked your in B but... yeah...:B) 😄

As someone who is self employed and in the building trade your friends have my full sympathy.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Was planning a long one today, either Mega or Uber Pretzel on Watopia, but having a bit of an emergency (not covid-19) at the moment and waiting for services to arrive for wife so not sure when I'll start. If I can get on by 11 I'll still try the Uber, else I'll go with Mega . Both going to be 5+ hours I think so, with wifey as she is, probably be 1 hour on, 5 mins off to help her do 'stuff', then back on and repeat. The mini breaks will be welcome I think as the ride goes on ^_^

JuhaL

Guru
I do now my 6-days (at least) break about Zwifting and cycling generally. I live in hope that i have little bit lighter legs after this recovery session.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Was planning a long one today, either Mega or Uber Pretzel on Watopia, but having a bit of an emergency (not covid-19) at the moment and waiting for services to arrive for wife so not sure when I'll start. If I can get on by 11 I'll still try the Uber, else I'll go with Mega . Both going to be 5+ hours I think so, with wifey as she is, probably be 1 hour on, 5 mins off to help her do 'stuff', then back on and repeat. The mini breaks will be welcome I think as the ride goes on ^_^
All the best with mrs Whorty:okay:

Good luck on big rides:wacko:

Im going to potter up the Alpe later:ohmy:

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
All the best with mrs Whorty:okay:

Good luck on big rides:wacko:

Im going to potter up the Alpe later:ohmy:
The Ultra takes me up the Alpe (as does the 4 Houseman) so may see you up there .... still waiting for emergency services with no ETA so not sure when I'll get on the bike just yet.

Enjoy your jaunt up the little hill :tongue:

mjd1988

Guru
Not a bad idea from Zwift with latest update to add a second guest world to Zwift. Little bit more liberty to select where you like to do your ride.

Takes a bit of pressure off the servers maybe as well

Hope all is okay

Tenkaykev

Guru
Hi Tenkay and welcome!

This is the zwift sub forum do most likely you’ll get a lot of people saying try Zwift. There is also a bkool and a bigringvr sub forum here. I’d recommend you try all three and form your own opinion as there are pro’s and cons to all three and it’s really personal preference. I believe all three offer free trials so it’s a nice way of choosing with no commitment to spend money.

On a side note don’t hesitate to ask any technical questions you might have. Good luck!
Many thanks,
The penny has just dropped! Looking at the thread title I misread it and thought that " Zwift, Bkool, and Splitter were all Apps :rolleyes:
What a plonker!

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Many thanks,
The penny has just dropped! Looking at the thread title I misread it and thought that " Zwift, Bkool, and Splitter were all Apps :rolleyes:
What a plonker!

😄

No worries. To be fair it’s a good place to start because lots of the guys here have experience of all three platforms. They might just be a little biased towards zwift.

Do you think you’d prefer computer graphics or video? Graphics if you prefer to see an avatar representing you on screen. Video if you’d prefer to see real life video footage of the area you’re cycling through. Zwift offers graphics, bigringvr offers excellent video (mostly geared around climbing hills to be fair). Bkool is unique I believe in offering the choice between the two. Bit possibly not the best at either. Especially if you are interested in the stats. But I’m not sure that’s you’re main criteria.

Top Bottom