Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
There was a thread on FB thus week with a couple of people noting that their kickr was under reporting power compared to their power meters. So much so that with PM would place the rider high in B but with his kickr he was having to race C

If I recall another rider was seeing the same, whilst a third was ok.

There will always be the odd unit not functioning within +/- 2% that the Kickr and other top end smart trainers are designed to. I can and have checked my Kickr against my Stages Power Meter. I had last year where there was about 20Watts difference. I did a spin down calibration and then each reading was with 10W.
The new Kickr firmware has further improved reliability of power reading by disabling the sensitive strain gauge and use magnetic forces to read power from the electronic brake.

It's pretty futile to say the Bkool Pro is a consistent reliable trainer to display accurate power. There are too many examples just within our own small group. Carl, I suggest you seek out the use of recognised power based trainer or separate power meter. Do a back to back ride and see the difference.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
There will always be the odd unit not functioning within +/- 2% that the Kickr and other top end smart trainers are designed to. I can and have checked my Kickr against my Stages Power Meter. I had last year where there was about 20Watts difference. I did a spin down calibration and then each reading was with 10W.
The new Kickr firmware has further improved reliability of power reading by disabling the sensitive strain gauge and use magnetic forces to read power from the electronic brake.

It's pretty futile to say the Bkool Pro is a consistent reliable trainer to display accurate power. There are too many examples just within our own small group. Carl, I suggest you seek out the use of recognised power based trainer or separate power meter. Do a back to back ride and see the difference.
I think the one guy's problem is more than the +-2% error, sounds like it's more serious. He's tried the calibration etc and not fixed it. It used to work fine but now playing up. Probably have to send it back to supplier to fix by the sounds of it.

As for me, I'll wait for real life reviews of the Atom; all well and good reading the likes of DCRainmaker (who actually doesn't report the Pro as over reporting power or speed) but I'm a bit cynical until I see something off say TT or others who are using the trainer for real.

Neo or Kickr probably not suitable for me as not keen on taking wheel off and setting chain etc up. Mechanically I'm a bit of a numpty!!! I'll stay with the Pro until something more practical for me comes along :okay:

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Probably one of cheapest ways to upgrade is to buy a pedal/crank/crank arm, or hub power meter. Then use the Bkool as a resistance unit on Zwift and in a conventional manner on Bkool. You also have the advantage then of taking those power numbers outside and then can achieve the same performance.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
if i can be bothered over the next couple of weeks i will have a go on a flat course on zwift on both the neo and the bkool pro
just to see if it makes any difference to me
this test would be just to see if it makes any difference to me and me alone - i don't want to get into any more rows about the difference
there would be a difference on a hilly course but i dont know if it would show ! if the bkool does over read then the slipping wheel on hills would surely counter act it ? so my own personal test would have to be a flat ish race
thinking about having a couple of days off this week and maybe taking on a mini tour if the wind slows down to see if i feel like things are nearly normal again

Breedon

Legendary Member
if i can be bothered over the next couple of weeks i will have a go on a flat course on zwift on both the neo and the bkool pro
just to see if it makes any difference to me
this test would be just to see if it makes any difference to me and me alone - i don't want to get into any more rows about the difference
there would be a difference on a hilly course but i dont know if it would show ! if the bkool does over read then the slipping wheel on hills would surely counter act it ? so my own personal test would have to be a flat ish race
thinking about having a couple of days off this week and maybe taking on a mini tour if the wind slows down to see if i feel like things are nearly normal again
Greater london flat or the clasqiue course as that is relatively flat or do a run down the mall from the large statue to the end when you take a u turn if you.know where I mean

bobinski

Legendary Member
You can look at Ryans irl rides on Strava and see he is super strong. It is likely his bkool over reports watts but for someone of his power perhaps the difference is not that great. Who knows. I do know Ryan would slaughter me in a ride irl, on bkool and in Zwift^_^
That said, I am not sure a weight reduction of 2kilos really touches the sides. It would barely affect my watts p/k in Zwift. Why should it do so with Ryan or Carl? 2kilos is nothing. 5-10 kilos?

Re Pm accuracy there is a LOT of discussion about how inaccurate Stages are (or rather can be) and how the numbers convinced users for example that Kickrs were underreporting. Kickrs especially with the new firmware are now perceived to be pretty darned accurate and the odd calibration issue or failing unit does not suggest otherwise. It is disingenuous to suggest( if that is what is being suggested) that these “examples “ are somehow on the same level as the over reporting of watts by pro units, even allowing for variance in those pro units. There is no equivalence at all.

Right. Birthday Today. 55y old:angry: proseeco, loads of food, beers and now cake and ice cream to come. I may do the zsun social as penance.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Greater london flat or the clasqiue course as that is relatively flat or do a run down the mall from the large statue to the end when you take a u turn if you.know where I mean
i might treat it as a 10 mile tt
i must say before i had the neo i had been on Zwift a few times and it keeps a record of your highs - i have never came anywhere near the highs that it shows i did on bkool and i think i am doing quite well at the minute for me - the bit i done last night zwift raised the ftp and i can't remember it lowering it so must be a good sign

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Lee you'd be replicating Paul's ride, though it would be more information :okay:
and slower :sad:

Breedon

Legendary Member
i might treat it as a 10 mile tt
i must say before i had the neo i had been on Zwift a few times and it keeps a record of your highs - i have never came anywhere near the highs that it shows i did on bkool and i think i am doing quite well at the minute for me - the bit i done last night zwift raised the ftp and i can't remember it lowering it so must be a good sign
There are 2 TT on wensday on zwift, its Richmond course
And whats your ftp :hyper:(waits with excitement)

Breedon

Legendary Member
You can look at Ryans irl rides on Strava and see he is super strong. It is likely his bkool over reports watts but for someone of his power perhaps the difference is not that great. Who knows. I do know Ryan would slaughter me in a ride irl, on bkool and in Zwift^_^
That said, I am not sure a weight reduction of 2kilos really touches the sides. It would barely affect my watts p/k in Zwift. Why should it do so with Ryan or Carl? 2kilos is nothing. 5-10 kilos?

Re Pm accuracy there is a LOT of discussion about how inaccurate Stages are (or rather can be) and how the numbers convinced users for example that Kickrs were underreporting. Kickrs especially with the new firmware are now perceived to be pretty darned accurate and the odd calibration issue or failing unit does not suggest otherwise. It is disingenuous to suggest( if that is what is being suggested) that these “examples “ are somehow on the same level as the over reporting of watts by pro units, even allowing for variance in those pro units. There is no equivalence at all.

Right. Birthday Today. 55y old:angry: proseeco, loads of food, beers and now cake and ice cream to come. I may do the zsun social as penance.
Happy birthday :cheers::birthday:

Top Bottom