Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JLaw

Veteran
Thanks for the replies on individual or group starts.

It's fairly close, with maybe a slight vote in favour of individual starts, but on balance I think I'm going to say we should go with a group start for the first event. Here's the reasons why I think this will be better for the first event, where we are trying to set handicaps for future events.

1. There's a 2.5km lead in to the start of the Strava segment we would use. I should have remembered this as its the same start point we used for my road club's TT.

The spawn point is on the road just before the desert race pens and the segment starts at the rock arch start/finish line just after the cliffside village. What this means is that the first 2.5kms is a free ride warm up and the race proper starts at the rock arch. This means we'll probably reach the arch in a random order (this happened every week on my road club TT). On that basis, going in groups probably helps to stop people screwing up their departure time.

2. I looked to see if we could piggy back on a road race. There's nothing on Friday and only 2 events on Wednesday on this course, and those are at 17.10 (too early) and 20.15 (probably too late, especially for Steen as its 21.15 for him). Although this is an interesting idea, it doesn't look like its an easy option where we choose a route and then look for a race.

So, in summary I'm saying:

1. Let's start in groups with a 2 minute gap.

2. Everyone in a group rides a 2.5km lead in to the rock arch at their own pace to the start of the Strava segment, and then the race is on.

3. Ride 2 laps with the race finishing at the rock arch. It will be the 3rd time we cross the start/finish line at the arch. I'll set the meet up finish line after the rock arch.

4. Everyone posts up their times by adding together the 2 lap times for the Strava segment and we then use these to set handicap times for the next event.

5. I'll post up the finishing times as an overall list and as groups so everyone has an added incentive to ride!

6. Once we have the handicaps, we'll have to think again about how we start a hare and hounds event. I think it will work ok to race from the spawn point on subsequent events.
So just a note, if we're racing Wednesday, then I'm unfortunately out this week. Plan accordingly ;-)

jeff

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
It’s maybe a little late for some as michael said. But the fact the series is mapped out already is ideal. I’m assuming we could use normal bikes to if we wanted to some of the events.

@peterob has messaged me to say he’s happy to do a spreadsheet. Can everyone say if they’re happy with this? Then I’ll start setting handicaps if everyone’s ok with me doing that? Then people can say if they feel an adjustment is in order.
Def too late for me so ... as they say on that crap tv show .... "I'm out" :okay:

JLaw

Veteran
Crazy! That is way too scary just watching the video. And the next video from Tommy makes me think back to the scare tactic films they showed us in drivers ed in high school that made you drive like an old lady for a day or two.
That video is from the Tour of Utah a few years back. They're descending from Guardsman pass down to Big Cottonwood. The rider (Matt Brammeier) was hurt, but did recover.

bobinski

Legendary Member
I was hoping by now Zwift would have sorted out the absence of finishing times for Meet Ups. It was trailed as about to happen and then didn't. I saw a quote Zwift had found that another software module required updating for this to work, and that's why it hadn't happened. They didn't offer any date when this would be fixed.

So, it does make the admin work to get round this more time consuming than I'd thought, especially trying to find a Strava segment, finding out how far the start of the segment is from the spawn point and then realising that people's historic times are all over the place, because those times come all sorts of different rides. For example, my PB is better than your on Tick Tock, but that's not going to be happen in any race that we're in. The TTT event just added an extra layer of complexity, which I didn't mind as its a great little event, but it takes a lot of time.

Yesterday I just thought I can't keep this going. I like to get things right, so I'm never going to set out to do half a job and I do actually read everyone's replies to try and make sure I've taken everyone's views or questions on board. The problem I've got at the moment is that my Dad is back in hospital and I've got more to do to help out Mum. I also sort out the weekly club runs and TTs for my road club (which also use Meet Ups) and its just taking too much of my time.

So, I'd rather step back for a while and just ride.

Del,
I hope things improve for your dad. At least not sorting us lot out is one thing less to worry about:hugs:

Last edited:

Whorty

I think the consensus is that this league is too late for most. I also prefer to get my cycling done early...earlier the better for me as I usually don’t eat until after wards.
Same here, I eat afterwards and usually feed Rach afterwards too. Eating before riding is a definite xx(

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
So....just a couple of suggestions really

Firstly I think we should allow a time window that everyone agrees, rather than a specific time eg, 18:00-19:00 or 6:30-19:30. That way we can pick from a choice of events

secondly make this thing once a week, or once every two weeks etc at the same day and time window. That way we reduce admin and don’t have to do a straw poll every time we want to have a race to see what suits whom.

Thirdly we split the admin roles. I can’t do this I’m afraid. I’m just too busy to do it all and also I’ve seen what it’s done to poor Del! If I lose anymore hair it’ll have to be the eyebrows as that’s all that’s left!
@peterob has kindly offered to do the spreadsheets. For this all we need is handicap times before the race, and results after the race
I am happy to set the handicap times. I’ll try to set them based on course length, course gradient etc. As well as taking people’s opinions on where they think they stand into account.
Can someone else organise the race time and course selection, and confirm attendance etc? I just don’t have time to do this at the moment I’m afraid. But if someone else thinks they can then we can lee the show on the road.

<Tommy>

Def too late for me so ... as they say on that crap tv show .... "I'm out" :okay:

Are you still racing on zwift?

Whorty

Are you still racing on zwift?
I'm paid up until 21st July so if times suit I may still jump in a race but I'm always a 'maybe' just because of circumstances. I'd have tried to join Friday to make up the numbers. Tuesdays and Wednesdays are always a real struggle for me.

Giving FulGaz a go at the moment on a 30 day free trial. After that will give SF a go on their free trial. I'll then sign up to one of these for 12 months and have a break from Zwift racing for a few months to get my mojo back.

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
I think we had landed on Friday July 10th for the next event. I’m happy to help out but I won’t be chasing grown men. 😂 If we agree a date and time then I’ll post up the event sign on details and hopefully everyone will take notice and show up. Happy to issue a general reminder 3,2,&1 day out.

<Tommy>

I think we had landed on Friday July 10th for the next event. I’m happy to help out but I won’t be chasing grown men. 😂 If we agree a date and time then I’ll post up the event sign on details and hopefully everyone will take notice and show up. Happy to issue a general reminder 3,2,&1 day out.

I think it’s the agreeing of the time and the date that looks like the biggest ball ache to be honest. That’s why I thought maybe sticking to the same time and day of the week every race would avoid the grown man chasing aspect of things a bit. Anyways... welcome on board Chairman Campbell! 👍👍

I’m joining the race tonight mate. So message me if you want me to attack the front at some point. And I’ll do my best to pretend I didn’t see the message :music:👍

Last edited:

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
Tuesday through Thursday are best days for me for racing. As for times it can be difficult to get back from the stables much before 6:30, so prefer a 7:00 start, much later than that then I can get into trouble as I'm chef de cuisine on weds and Fri, and the table get antsy if I start cooking much later than 8:10

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
I think it’s the agreeing of the time and the date that looks like the biggest ball ache to be honest. That’s why I thought maybe sticking to the same time and day of the week every race would avoid the grown man chasing aspect of things a bit. Anyways... welcome on board Chairman Campbell! 👍👍

I’m joining the race tonight mate. So message me if you want me to attack the front at some point. And I’ll do my best to pretend I didn’t see the message :music:👍
I’m happy to allow a cyclechat / ZSUNR breakaway to get up the road So you, MJD, Bridgy, attack early and often 😁

Top Bottom