Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BurningLegs

Veteran
C is a tough group. Stuck with the leaders until KOM where I decided to go for it and managed to get 6th I think over the top which seemed great but only got 5 points :cry:

Caught back up with @WhortyI need to work on stamina to sprint - any tips?

Also do people sprint seated or standing up, for some reason I sprint seated on Zwift (not outside)?!
1. Sweet spot training - Zwift has some built in workouts for it, and it will make the pack riding easier so saving energy for the sprint (which needs VO2 work to improve - VO2 intervals are hideous though, so some crit city races might be more tolerable).
2. I stand for my lowly sprint of about 700W. Don’t take any sprinting tips from me though :laugh:

Ketty

Über Member
1. Sweet spot training - Zwift has some built in workouts for it, and it will make the pack riding easier so saving energy for the sprint (which needs VO2 work to improve - VO2 intervals are hideous though, so some crit city races might be more tolerable).
2. I stand for my lowly sprint of about 700W. Don’t take any sprinting tips from me though :laugh:
Thanks @BurningLegs much appreciated.

steverob

Guru
Yes I noticed Steve's finish - not a bad first race in C :cheers:
Well I achieved my aim at least, so I've got that! My main thing about getting promoted to C was to try and improve myself. While I do like winning races, I'm not going to get much better by turning in 2.497 w/kg performances time and again, so my hope was that by being with better riders, it might make me faster/better/stronger - rather than just turn up, do the bare minimum and 90 days later be back in D again that I've seen happening to others.

Had to put down slightly more power than usual coming out the gates, but not too much more - but then when riding in D, quite often you've got a few Cs leading the group anyway, so that wasn't too much of a shock. What was more difficult was keeping that high tempo for the next 15 minutes! Usually I can get away with slacking back down to Zone 3 for a minute or so for recovery purposes, but here I was always at least Zone 4, with surges to Z5 every time I felt that I was drifting towards the back of the pack - wasn't going to let myself get dropped before the climb. Even had the lead for a few seconds at one point!

When the climb came, I gave it my all to stay in touch and was surprised at how well I did - thought I was going to be distanced immediately like on my ride at the weekend, but I did just about stay in touch and although the group was now strung out like a snake, it was still conceivable that I might be able to stay in the mix. However a gap started to grow about 3-4 places in front of me and that was where the split ended up - all those ahead of it did eventually get back in the main group; those of us behind it had to form our own mini groupetto and we went to the finish like that. Not much that could be done - the guy who got distanced was actually pulling away from me and two others, so it's not like we could have overtaken him and caught up to the rest; we only caught him on the downhill because we were a group of three. Also didn't help that at each banner I got 10XP - no power ups for the entire race!

The twisty bit towards the end was absolute hell for me - I was hanging on at the back of the group of four already, but when we hit that section, I started to lose the draft at every corner and was having to sprint to get back on, only to lose it again round the next bend, putting me further behind. Luckily the worst I fell behind was just 2 seconds and I managed to get back on before we hit the straight bit again. Gave it my all in the sprint and just pipped two of the guys on the line - the other had jumped early and stayed away.

Looked at the final results on ZwiftPower and considering I had been on the limit for large parts of the race, I was hopeful of seeing some really good power numbers. What did I get? Two point four bloody nine seven again! ****!

Anyway, if you want to see me suffering holding on to the pack, only just getting dropped on the climb and a rather good sprint finish, then YouTube is your friend:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYTSN0Z8Y8Q

Last edited:

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
Also do people sprint seated or standing up
I think I tend to stand for first 10 to 15 seconds or so and then back into the seat and just keeping putting out as much power as I can until I fade. My sprint training (which I love to hate) consists of a 10 minute warm up and then 7 or 8 all out 30 second sprints every 7 minutes, with zone 1 recovery in between the sprint. I find these are best done in free ride rather than in ERG Mode. A good course to do these on is London Classique as each lap takes roughly the 7 minutes and you can use the mall sprint as your target effort.

bridgy

Legendary Member
😳😳😳 No sorry, for some reason I was looking at the 2018 race ... Shutting up now ...

... I've been stung by a wasp don't you know😉
Ah, no worries! Glad we sorted that out, we could have been going back and forth on that for ages, both getting equally confused!

JLaw

Veteran
So haven't posted much the last few weeks as work has been brutal.

Let's see, I'm finding that I'm about a 50-50 chance of hanging with the lead C group on the 8/12 lap races in crit city, but I'm totally gassed at the end if the pace is hard. But that's still better than a month ago and I continue to see the 20min improve slightly over time. Weight has stabilized, so probably time to do some more climbing rather than the short crit city races. I've hit PBs a few times over the weeks and even took spots on the podium. I had a 3rd place finish where I finished just a second off the leader, but again, just too damn tired to fight for it and a solid 2nd today where we had a more sedate pace through the race and I was able to long sprint from about 300m out (with a good ramp up before then) and win my group.

I expect I'll race a bit more this week, then spend a couple weeks grinding some climbs. WHo knows, maybe even head out into the real world.

Cheers,

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Forgot to ask last night, has anyone tried to update their companion app yet? I did mine before the race last night and blinkin thing won't work now. Keeps crashing out. On Android.

Forgot to ask last night, has anyone tried to update their companion app yet? I did mine before the race last night and blinkin thing won't work now. Keeps crashing out. On Android.

All good here. But 🍏

Norry1

Legendary Member

Your post prompted me to check my App version and then just forced an update. It seems to have installed ok and is running at the moment. Will shout if things change

Whorty

Good call on the sweet spot training, Zwift has a couple that I go to when I'm not up to doing FTP intervals. They're the kind of session you can sit on for 90+ minutes but get a big workout.

I'm sure others have good views on this, but I've read a few articles recently and YouTube (I think one was the chap Bob mentioned ... Dylan?) that say that in any given session what you want to try to do is spend as much time as possible in the training zone that you aim to hit in that session. Sounds kind of simple ..... picking up on Al's sprint workout he makes an excellent point that once a sprint is complete then go down to pure Z1 recovery - the idea being that you want to spend as much time in that session in Z6+ sprints, so you need to be fully recovered each time you go into a sprint interval.

Like I say, you read this stuff and it's common sense, but putting it into practice isn't always easy! I know I'm probably as guilty as many when I don't fully recover between intervals and hence don't get the full benefit of the next sprint (for example)

Whorty

Your post prompted me to check my App version and then just forced an update. It seems to have installed ok and is running at the moment. Will shout if things change
Ah, ok, i'll try again. Might be a newer version today (or my phone is so old that it doesn't work on this version of Android). Cheers. C

bridgy

Legendary Member
Just update mine on android Carl and no problems (sorry that probably doesn't help at all!)

Whorty

Just update mine on android Carl and no problems (sorry that probably doesn't help at all!)
Tried restarting phone, uninstalling an reinstalling the app ... so at least I know it's my phone and not the app per-se. I have an old phone with old Android OS so probably not compatible :wacko: Cheers

bridgy

Legendary Member
From the update notes - race results from a meetup!!

Top Bottom