Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Sunshine really impacts on your Zwift intentions, woke this morning to a gorgeous blue skies & once Mrs S. had departed for work and the Fledglings were off to school I decided to take a ride out.
Rode along the railway track path to Bath & then on thru the Two Tunnels to Midford, I then noticed that the cycle track continued south and carried onto to Wellow along a lovely stretch of gravelled path, gently climbing but nothing strenuous.

View attachment 547647

View attachment 547648

View attachment 547649
Nice mate :hugs: Didn't realise you lived near Bath. Some nice lumps out that way, at least on the routes I drive from Mere into Bath.

The sunshine (and a carer!) coaxed me to venture out again today too. 81kms with almost 1000 metres of climbing. Found some nice local hills to tryout - one has switchbacks and per Strava shows as a top100 climb so quite chuffed I went that way today.

Certainly helps to clear the mind getting out in the real world :okay:

kipster

Guru
Nice mate :hugs: Didn't realise you lived near Bath. Some nice lumps out that way, at least on the routes I drive from Mere into Bath.

The sunshine (and a carer!) coaxed me to venture out again today too. 81kms with almost 1000 metres of climbing. Found some nice local hills to tryout - one has switchbacks and per Strava shows as a top100 climb so quite chuffed I went that way today.

Certainly helps to clear the mind getting out in the real world :okay:
I’ve done that one a couple of times, but the route I’ve done hits it a little later in the ride and after I’ve come up hill which you went down after you turned left at the cross roads.

Whorty

I’ve done that one a couple of times, but the route I’ve done hits it a little later in the ride and after I’ve come up hill which you went down after you turned left at the cross roads.
It was windy up at the top today, blowing across from Shaftesbury. I was tempted to turn around on that descend and climb back up as it looked like a really nice hill, but I didn't know how long it was going to take me to get back home so gave it a miss. in hindsight I would have had time and will definitely head that way again.

I don't know when you last did the switchback climb but they relaid the surface not so long ago and it a beautiful surface now. I'd even consider coming down it now whereas with the old broken surface I didn't even like driving down it :laugh:

We are lucky in this neck of the woods, some nice rolling roads so long as I don't get lost :wacko:

kipster

Guru
It was windy up at the top today, blowing across from Shaftesbury. I was tempted to turn around on that descend and climb back up as it looked like a really nice hill, but I didn't know how long it was going to take me to get back home so gave it a miss. in hindsight I would have had time and will definitely head that way again.

I don't know when you last did the switchback climb but they relaid the surface not so long ago and it a beautiful surface now. I'd even consider coming down it now whereas with the old broken surface I didn't even like driving down it :laugh:

We are lucky in this neck of the woods, some nice rolling roads so long as I don't get lost :wacko:
It certainly wasn't smooth when I last did it, it was a very rough surface.

Whorty

On your Strava profile there were some very steep hills. @kipster I thought you run a low rear cassette. I wouldn't want try those hills with anything less than a 34/32
My Roubaix has 50/34 & 11/34 so plenty gears for me now. On most hills I never go past 28 on the back up to 12% and only when it's close to 20% do I need the 34. The hours on BRVR have taught me to keep pushing on the hills ^_^ It's really interesting but a couple of years ago I was struggling on the hills outside but now I never feel like I need to bail :wahhey:

I'm still crap on the descents though :rofl: Can't see Zwift or BRVR helping me there :surrender:

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
I wonder if Ritchie Porte wished he was on rim brakes yesterday 😄

bobinski

Legendary Member

<Tommy>

Yeah why aren’t all the pros riding steel bikes with rim brakes and wearing wool jerseys hey?!:whistle:

They ride carbon because it’s lighter than steel. They wear Lycra because it’s much more practical than wool. And they use discs because that’s what their sponsors tell them to do. Even if it means they can’t get them down to the allowed weight limit ;)

kipster

Guru
They ride carbon because it’s lighter than steel. They wear Lycra because it’s much more practical than wool. And they use discs because that’s what their sponsors tell them to do. Even if it means they can’t get them down to the allowed weight limit ;)
Unless your Jumbo Visma, when you tell Bianchi that you're riding rims as the disc version is too heavy but also use nano tech black paint for the mountain stages as it saves 80g, but we'll have Celeste gloss bikes for the flat stages.

<Tommy>

Unless your Jumbo Visma, when you tell Bianchi that you're riding rims as the disc version is too heavy but also use nano tech black paint for the mountain stages as it saves 80g, but we'll have Celeste gloss bikes for the flat stages.

Same with team ineos kip. Although to be fair the dogma is a tank. The tide has turned though unfortunately mate. It seems when they gave the pro teams the choice they all chose rim brakes. So now they’ve just taken away the choice!

Ketty

Über Member
Same with team ineos kip. Although to be fair the dogma is a tank. The tide has turned though unfortunately mate. It seems when they gave the pro teams the choice they all chose rim brakes. So now they’ve just taken away the choice!
This is very frustrating when you’re in the market for a new bike with rim brakes (disc just look too ugly) - there is hardly any choice now!!

Top Bottom