Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norry1

Legendary Member
I am in the very fortunate position that I am in the market for a few new cycling items. My good lady bunged a load of cash at me and told me to buy them :okay::smooch: Looking for any advice, alternative suggestions etc.

1. Helmet. Mine is getting old. Probably gonna invest in a HEXR. Anyone any experience of them?

2. Skinsuit. Hopefully get a NoPinz - planning to drive down (Barnstaple) and get custom measured for it. Best take a few pounds off first and get back to my racing weight :smile:

3. New Head Unit. I like my Garmin 820 but the battery life is poor. E.g. I'll have to brink a power pack to recharge it this Saturday. There is now loads of choice including the new HammerHeads units. Any strong views from people?

berty bassett

Legendary Member
I am in the very fortunate position that I am in the market for a few new cycling items. My good lady bunged a load of cash at me and told me to buy them :okay::smooch: Looking for any advice, alternative suggestions etc.

1. Helmet. Mine is getting old. Probably gonna invest in a HEXR. Anyone any experience of them?

2. Skinsuit. Hopefully get a NoPinz - planning to drive down (Barnstaple) and get custom measured for it. Best take a few pounds off first and get back to my racing weight :smile:

3. New Head Unit. I like my Garmin 820 but the battery life is poor. E.g. I'll have to brink a power pack to recharge it this Saturday. There is now loads of choice including the new HammerHeads units. Any strong views from people?
Yes !
where do I find a wife likes yours

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
I can't speak for NoPInz skinsuits and head units (my last bike computer was a Cateye Astrale!), but that HEXR helmet...:wacko:
It looks... well, "terrible" isn't quite strong enough. The ventilation looks poorer than average, and it's heavy. Even if it looked and felt great, I'm not sure I could justify 350 notes on a helmet... I'd probably ride more carefully as a result of having £350 worth of helmet on my bonce, though!
(I ride a Planet X Carnac Podium helmet which I think set me back £20).

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum

I looked at the HEXR helmet because I liked the idea of getting a helmet the perfect shape for my head. But I think it’s overpriced for what it is really. And I agree with Legs that the ventilation doesn’t look very good at all. Also if you’re thinking about using it with a skin suit wouldn’t you be better off getting a helmet that has more aero properties? I’ve seen the HEXR out in the wild and it’s pretty beefy. If you wait a couple of weeks lots of the brands will be bringing out new gear in time for the pros to show them off in the tdf. So you can get a new snazzy one. Or get one of the ones available now at a bigger discount.

Regarding bike computers I think your best bet is a comparison site like dcrainmaker. Decide what functions you need and then compare across brands and ranges to see who ticks the most of your boxes. Sorry it’s a boring answer… but it’s really handy just comparing them side by side like that.

Spartak