Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Helmets are mainly about function. A good fit, especially the strap, for no chafing, no pressure points on the head.

Cooling is important too. I like my aero Kask helmet with slide to open up more ventilation when really hot. Its about 5 years old now

Kask infinity
Screenshot_20210619-101320_Chrome.jpg

Lastly looks

JuhaL

Guru
I have start to consider new helmet. Something what is ventilated well enough but doesn't give "warpaint" to my scull.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Last time I bought a helmet I went to my LBS and ignored the labels and pricing, just tried on every helmet they had and then bought the most comfortable.

I was lucky that it turned out to be a Specialized and was very reasonable compared to bigger brands like Kask etc. The difference between them was significant, and for me I’d never order a helmet online, I will always want to feel the fit. I suppose this is the benefit of the custom made lid, it should fit like a glove? Attractive if you struggle to find a helmet that fits, but I suspect almost everyone could find a perfectly comfortable helmet much cheaper.

Have you considered foot beds @Norry1 if you don’t already have them? Custom foot beds are very popular for ski boots and seem to be creeping into cycling footwear. In ski boots they really help with comfort, control, and injury prevention.

Sound advice

for what it’s worth custom foot beds have been around in cycling for a while too. As well as bolt vapours shoes which you can heat mold to the shape of your foot.

A cheaper option is buying replacement footbeds. Specialized do a range. The ones their shoes come with as standard are relatively flat.

https://www.bikeradar.com/features/5-arch-supports-and-why-your-cycling-feet-need-them/

I agree about crash helmets. Although another option to going into a shop is buying a few on the premise of free returns and trying them out at home. Make sure your shades don’t interfere with them and vice versa etc. Sometimes shops don’t have much choice or limited sizes.

Normally the different brands stick to the same head profile shape across their range so it’s a good way to start the search. E.g kask, giro, poc are good for the round heads. Specialized are more sympathetic to the oval head generally.

This summer I’ve been using an s works prevail most of the time. It’s very nice and airy. Only trouble is it seems to work as a bit of a bug net

BurningLegs

Veteran
Have entered two teams life races now - a 10 mile TT in August and a crit in the first week of September. The crit is quite expensive but it’s on closed roads in the city centre of Southampton, my home city, so quite keen to do it even if only to support the event!

No idea how I will go in either, my numbers are still well down but hoping it will all come good at the right time. Doing a 12 week plan and the first event is at week 8 which is where the plan peaks, with the subsequent weeks being maintenance. Fingers crossed! 🤞

No idea what it will mean for my performances in ZRL in September but I think I’m going to be heavier. Haven’t been on the scales for a few weeks now but don’t feel like I’m shifting any weight, putting more on if anything!

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
Don't you find you get increased bee stings with the Valegro? I had to revert to the Protone as I was getting 3 times the bee stings cos of the lovely air vents!!
Bees round here are pretty chilled out to be fair. The only wasp sting I have had while riding since 2016 was last year ... and the psychotic bastard flew into my mouth and stung me on the tongue!! I just chewed and spat the beggar out while continuing the ride!

bobinski

Legendary Member
I used sidi moldable footbeds in my last shoes and they were a revelation. I do have odd feet, flat, no arch. They pronate too and then there’s my bunions. So, as long as I can wiggle my toes I just need to have the rest of the foot supported and held. Quite fun standing on the contraption that takes a mold of your foot and then shapes the footbed to suit. Not much more than the G8 insoles available from sigma.

Norry1

Legendary Member
Have entered two teams life races now - a 10 mile TT in August and a crit in the first week of September. The crit is quite expensive but it’s on closed roads in the city centre of Southampton, my home city, so quite keen to do it even if only to support the event!

No idea how I will go in either, my numbers are still well down but hoping it will all come good at the right time. Doing a 12 week plan and the first event is at week 8 which is where the plan peaks, with the subsequent weeks being maintenance. Fingers crossed! 🤞

No idea what it will mean for my performances in ZRL in September but I think I’m going to be heavier. Haven’t been on the scales for a few weeks now but don’t feel like I’m shifting any weight, putting more on if anything!

Will be interested to follow your prep and races. Keep on posting up.

Spartak