Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjd1988

Guru
Keep me posted Michael. Maybe we can grunt and wheez up together if you’re around in the afternoon.
Can maybe make it 11 but no later I'm afraid

Norry1

Legendary Member
Don't give me that Martin, :whistle:You'll float along a 2.2W/kg and set an amazing time, Whilst :sweat::sweat::B)

Porridge is already worried xx(

My plan is to go at or a tiny bit over the top end of the planned range for the Alpe and the bottom end of the range for the rest of the ride - so I'll be doing about 220-225W up the Alpe, so about 3.2w/kg. I also have to do 10 x 8 second 90% efforts, so I'll probably do them on every other hairpin.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
My plan is to go at or a tiny bit over the top end of the planned range for the Alpe and the bottom end of the range for the rest of the ride - so I'll be doing about 220-225W up the Alpe, so about 3.2w/kg. I also have to do 10 x 8 second 90% efforts, so I'll probably do them on every other hairpin.
3.2W/kg is sub 1 hour alpe time :ohmy:

alex_cycles

Veteran
3.2W/kg is sub 1 hour alpe time :ohmy:
That's cheating isn't it? :eek:

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
Well done!
My laptop power cable has been playing up recently and I noticed after 40km that it wasn’t charging, which makes everything jerky and would have meant that the battery would deplete in no time. It took about 10 minutes of fiddling to get it sorted, by which time all the big groups had passed. Then all the lightweights buggered off after 101km, leaving only five of us, spread out all over the road. I rode a bit with one guy who had lapped me, then dropped him and was on target to pull back the 22-minute time gap when he quit.

It’s not a good course for a long event because it’s quite a long lap, and there’s a loop within the lap which means that if you sit up and wait to be lapped, you can join up with another group only for them to diverge from you later on.

I wouldn’t rate the group discipline too highly either -considering that it was supposed to be a 36km/h ride, it was strung out all over the road in the opening kms. There didn’t seem to be much direction from the ride leaders. Nonetheless, I’ve got the No Big Deal badge ticked off, a bit of overreaching under my belt, and a few Christmas calories burnt off (74.5kg this morning).

bobinski

Legendary Member
I did a gel (20g carbs) as I got on the turbo, and a bottle with 50g of carbs in during the ride. I cracked 3 hairpins out and haemorrhaged time but it didn’t feel like a bonk, just lack of fitness.

Perhaps I should do this stage again on one of the catch-up days at the end to see if there’s any improvement. 🤔

How much carbs do folks here take on during a turbo session (if any)? I only bother for very challenging efforts, and go at about 30-50 grams per hour which seems to be pretty low but I struggle to take on more fluid. It’s easier on the road because there are natural pauses to drink e.g when coasting or waiting at lights.

Nick, you are working your way back to mountain taming fitness so difficult to know if you bonked or just reached your fitness level at this point in your journey. You may have a better sense of why. Had you eaten or drunk much in the 2-3 hours up to the ride? Its a question of what works for you given the inensity of your ride but some general principles see to be universally accepted-see below.
I have often made the mistake of underfueling mainly because I have been silly enough to confuse the sometimes competing demands of fitness and wanting to achieve some weight loss and aim for the latter. I am now eating well but crazy amounts at the moment as i work through my TP. I have a 1hr 40 ride plus warm up and cool down at 2pm today so good quality lunch midday, banana during warm up, another if needed, and a caffeine gel and a 900ml bottle of energy drink. Oh and some jelly babies. Works out at about 120gm of carbs for what will be 2 hours 20/30m on the bike.
FWIW I always find the below a useful reminder, cribbed from the Sufferfest site (the advice is little different to other sites) and whilst Big Event specific carries over into 1h 30 plus intense sessions. Remember the carbs from the gel/drink become available 20-30 min after ingested:

General Fueling Guidelines

• Focus on carbohydrates and lean protein. Aim to eat a substantial meal of carbs and lean protein at least two hours before your event.
  • It’s better to over fuel than under fuel, especially for longer endurance events.
  • Avoid eating at least 60 minutes before your event.
  • Avoid dairy.
  • Avoid fats and fiber, both of which take time to be converted into usable fuel.
  • Avoid salty, fried foods. They can slow down your body’s ability to take in carbs.
  • The maximum amount of carbohydrates your body can absorb is 90g per hour. 60g should be in the form of glucose, while 30g should be fructose. Look for “maltodextrin” in the ingredients list.
  • The average 75kg / 165lb male has about 500g of carbohydrates stored and available as fuel. Producing 100w of power for an hour will burn through 360 calories (similarly, producing 200w of power for an hour will burn 720 calories). If you have a power meter, keep an eye on your output, and replace carbs accordingly.
  • It takes around 90 minutes after you eat for the carbs to be available for your muscles to use. Remember the old adage, if you wait until you’re hungry to eat, it’s too late.

alex_cycles

Veteran
No one told me. :cursing:

Bloody finish line wasnt the arch arrrgh:cry:

Oh no. Did you stop too soon? :eek: I think it's about 150-200m further up.

Attachments

• 1642245157821.jpg
    1642245157821.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 3
Top Bottom