Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Sorry Carl, the only words I remember from that post are “ big butch Andy” :biggrin:
:biggrin::whistle:

kipster

Guru
300w average and just about broke 20mph. Brutal... forgetting to turn the speedo off at the end of the ride prob didn’t help either!

View attachment 410416

That's good work Tommy, id be really happy with that. the guy I work with who does TT did a 25 mile one in Wales at the weekend, averaged 30.5mph. that is just insane and he only just made the top 10. Strava estimated his watts at 457 for 49 minutes.

Screenshot_20180521-142533~2.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
That's good work Tommy, id be happy with that. the guy I work with who does TT did a 25 mile one in Wales at the weekend, averaged 30.5mph. that is just insane and he only just made the top 10. Strava estimated his watts at 457 for 49 minutes.

View attachment 410427

These youngsters (relative) can have crazy FTP

Our 10 course record was taken by a chap called Duggleby. Turns out he's para-olympic gold medallist for sited assistant category.

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/gbcyclingteam/new/bio/Adam_Duggleby

Last edited:

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
It was a mixture of solo and group to be honest. The stats are skewed for a few reasons but the results are very contradictory.

Firstly you have to take the traffic lights into account. There are four sets of lights around the 2.7 mile loop. One set you probably get red at least 60 or 70% of the time. The others not so much. So this obviously effects the average speed. This also lowers the average watts too. But you can argue that the forced rest at the lights also allows you to recover so you can’t take the result as a pure ftp test either. If there were no lights my avg speed would be quite a bit higher but watts a bit lower basically.

Like Andy says in a group ride you’d expect the watts to be lower but it’s all relative to the group you’re in. Every group is different. Sometimes I’m sucking the wheel of cat A racers and hanging on for dear life! Today I spent most of my time either at the front or 2nd wheel or solo. Some of the guys didn’t take turns which is fair enough as it’s like me with the cat A guys generally. It’s all relative to the group your in, and most people around the park are ok with that. I try and put out at much effort as possible no matter solo, fastest in a slow group, or slowest in a fast group. That’s why I much prefer watts as a stat to mph. It’s much better reflection of the ride.

The good news for me is that my legs felt dead even before the ride. So it’s promimisng for when I’m better rested.

<Tommy>

That doesn't sound right. I just did a ride at similar speed and I avg. 225 watts. It was pretty hilly too.

I do hill repeats sometimes Lars and I average less than 225w for the ride even though I’m pushing well over 400w going up hill sometimes.

I know you use golden cheatah like me. And I see from your strava you do excellent concentrated efforts in your training rides so I’m sure you know how to analyse your efforts. I think these stats are much more reliable than average power etc because your in better control of the variables. Things like average power over a varied ride are probably better as a talking point or a rough guide to progress.

I mainly put the picture up because the two stats; avg mph vs avg watts, look crazy unless you know the full story. It sort of highlights how it is possible to make statistics tell you what you want basically.

LBHIFI

Veteran
I do hill repeats sometimes Lars and I average less than 225w for the ride even though I’m pushing well over 400w going up hill sometimes.

I know you use golden cheatah like me. And I see from your strava you do excellent concentrated efforts in your training rides so I’m sure you know how to analyse your efforts. I think these stats are much more reliable than average power etc because your in better control of the variables. Things like average power over a varied ride are probably better as a talking point or a rough guide to progress.

I mainly put the picture up because the two stats; avg mph vs avg watts, look crazy unless you know the full story. It sort of highlights how it is possible to make statistics tell you what you want basically.
300 watts for 1h30min is very impressive. I'm hoping to do that for just 30 minutes.
But I think you seriously need to do something about your bike/clothes/position :smile:. I would expect to average 22-24 mph on my race bike at 300 watts.

On my TT bike those 300 watts would get me moving at about 26 mph.

bobinski

Legendary Member
300 watts for 1h30min is very impressive. I'm hoping to do that for just 30 minutes.
But I think you seriously need to do something about your bike/clothes/position :smile:. I would expect to average 22-24 mph on my race bike at 300 watts.

Tommy was probably on his sit up and beg Colnago...^_^

<Tommy>

651FD365-049D-4B72-BADC-0559702D8D5A.jpeg

Ok ok I’ll admit I don’t need much of an excuse to put up a bike picture ^_^

Saddle to top of bars is 12cm. And I spend quite a lot of time in the drops. I’m nearly 6’4 but I’m pretty low on the bike as you can imagine from the picture.

I think it’s more to do with the stopping and starting Lars to be honest. Both in terms of the high watts and low speed. If you look at the strava segments you can tell straight away the ones where I was getting stopped at lights.

Top Bottom