Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
The plan was to build a new bike for commuting duties. But now I’ve built it with Chris King headset, sram chainset and hand built wheels I’m thinking I need to get another bike for commuting because this one is bit too nickable...

View attachment 425941

View attachment 425942

Whorty at the moment it is 48 / 17 but I think I’m going to stick an 18 on to spin a bit more. What did you settle on bud I can’t remember?
flipping eck thats nice !

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
no need to dig - just rummage under your mattress ^_^:laugh:

I couldn’t do my missus out of her favourite hobby ^_^

flipping eck thats nice !

I’m quite smitten with it to be honest mate. Looks very nice for such a big frame I think. Horizontal top tube. Steel. One of those that looks better in the flesh too. I think it’s a bike for life.

<Tommy>

Definitely “stealable”

Edit: if you convince your wife you need another bike you will be right up there with @kipster on the wife handeling skills.

I think Berty doesn’t bother just sneaks them in when shes not home.

I honestly don’t know how many more I can get away with Randy. Kipster and Berty have all my respect. But it’s turning into a game of ‘buckeroo’ for me. How many bikes can I sneak into the house before the missus turns round and gives me a donkey kick!

bobinski

Legendary Member
Didn't know there was a segment there when I raced. Just tried to keep off some other riders. It looks like a good place to set a 20 min best, so watch out Bob :evil:

Lars, I had your time in mind when I went up:smile: and then Lee’s but it was not to be. I will save that for my return from holiday:smile:

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
The plan was to build a new bike for commuting duties. But now I’ve built it with Chris King headset, sram chainset and hand built wheels I’m thinking I need to get another bike for commuting because this one is bit too nickable...

View attachment 425941

View attachment 425942

Whorty at the moment it is 48 / 17 but I think I’m going to stick an 18 on to spin a bit more. What did you settle on bud I can’t remember?
I'm 42/16 (69 gear inches)

Your 48/17 is 74 gear inches. 48/18 would be 70 gear inches

I would have thought what you have now should be good for you, and going larger at the back might be a bit too spiny for you. I can get up 7-8% inclines on 69 gear inches. Not many hills in London you should have any problems with.

Current gearing, on a flat road and cadence of 85 rpm will see me travel at 17.5 mph and you at 18.75 mph. If you drop to 48/18 your speed would drop to 17.75 mph

<Tommy>

I'm 42/16 (69 gear inches)

Your 48/17 is 74 gear inches. 48/18 would be 70 gear inches

I would have thought what you have now should be good for you, and going larger at the back might be a bit too spiny for you. I can get up 7-8% inclines on 69 gear inches. Not many hills in London you should have any problems with.

Current gearing, on a flat road and cadence of 85 rpm will see me travel at 17.5 mph and you at 18.75 mph. If you drop to 48/18 your speed would drop to 17.75 mph

Thanks for the info mate. Is there an easy to read table you’re getting that info from?

I know what you’re saying about ratios. But the way I see it I won’t average 18.75moh in London. But I would like to average around 85rpm. See what I mean? I don’t need to go too fast but I would like to spin. You may be right once I’ve tried it I may well go back. God knows what ratio I was on last time I had a fixed gear but it would probably make my knees weep!

kipster

Guru
Thanks for the info mate. Is there an easy to read table you’re getting that info from?

I know what you’re saying about ratios. But the way I see it I won’t average 18.75moh in London. But I would like to average around 85rpm. See what I mean? I don’t need to go too fast but I would like to spin. You may be right once I’ve tried it I may well go back. God knows what ratio I was on last time I had a fixed gear but it would probably make my knees weep!
Try this http://www.bikecalc.com/fixed

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)

I use the site Kipster linked.

You're right in London. By the time you hit 18 mph you be breaking again for another set of lights lol

Top Bottom