Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bridgy

Legendary Member
I'm hopefully going to be OK for the GCN ride on Tuesday at 7pm too - is anyone else on here going to be riding in Cat A??

As the CAT A's are setting off last it could be pretty lonely to get dropped so I'll be doing everything I can to hang on in there! Will be interesting to see if the A's can catch the B's, as very often the fastest B riders finish right up with or ahead of many of the A's in mass start races - just with slightly lower w/kg which keeps them in B Cat. I'm expecting a very fast pace!

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
I'm hopefully going to be OK for the GCN ride on Tuesday at 7pm too - is anyone else on here going to be riding in Cat A??

As the CAT A's are setting off last it could be pretty lonely to get dropped so I'll be doing everything I can to hang on in there! Will be interesting to see if the A's can catch the B's, as very often the fastest B riders finish right up with or ahead of many of the A's in mass start races - just with slightly lower w/kg which keeps them in B Cat. I'm expecting a very fast pace!

I have occasionally joined an A race, but it's the bumps where they just motor away. I'm not in the fitness contemplating staying with them on the flats either, maybe Cat B might be too pacey, we shall see :smile:

si_c

Guru
maybe Cat B might be too pacey, we shall see :smile:

What sort of pace does the B cat normally hold at the start/throughout? I'm probably a B-cat (~3.8w/kg), but experience tells me I have difficulty at the start with these races, and forget it on the hilly bits.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
What sort of pace does the B cat normally hold at the start/throughout? I'm probably a B-cat (~3.8w/kg), but experience tells me I have difficulty at the start with these races, and forget it on the hilly bits.
Assuming the B's stay together as a pack, and work to chase down the C's, I'd guess you need to hold 260-300 watts over the duration of the course (based on people's effort yesterday over an hour on the same course). This I guess would then be a 350+ blast out the blocks and hold for 3-5 mins before pace settles.

On my C yesterday I blasted out at 300 and held on for 1.5 laps at about 250 watts before being dropped from a mixed C/back end of B group then ended up in the next group with fast D's/mid C's and overall average 211 watts. It's a fast course!

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru

It really depends on the riders on the night, sometimes starts are quite a relaxed 3-3.5 or crazy 4.5+W/Kg for a minute and then it settles down. You're either blown away or go so far into the red that after half a lap your cooked

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Looks like a good turnout for Cyclechat members. Don't forget to add Cyclechat to your Zwift name and also in Zwiftpower(ideally have same name) so we can see each other and analyse results :okay:

You can also add team name to Zwiftpower.

Whorty

Yes, that hill is a PITA. We did 4 laps yesterday, thus only passing it 4 times, unless you went for an extra lap?

I did it 4 times more in the evening in a group ride at max 2.5 w/kg, which was much nicer. :smile:
Didn't we go up just after the start gate? Cold have sworn we went up there 5 times. Maybe i imagined it LOL

In my warm up before the race I did go up though, and set a new PB (1 min 6 secs) so that probably took a lot out of my legs before I even started the race :banghead:And I'm still one second behind @rob01792 :surrender:

Whorty

It really depends on the riders on the night, sometimes starts are quite a relaxed 3-3.5 or crazy 4.5+W/Kg for a minute and then it settles down. You're either blown away or go so far into the red that after half a lap your cooked
Or both :B)

Top Bottom