Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JuhaL

Guru
Indoor trainer taught you use little bit different pedaling technique anyway because bike doesn't react exactly same way as in irl. Bike is more like zigzag or should i say slither when you ride out of a saddle irl. Rocker can't fully replicate that but it's more realistic that way.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Anyone doing tol?

Norry1

Legendary Member
3 of us booked on it so far (you, Micheal, me). Come on @Del C , @CXRAndy , @berty bassett , @bert1971 , @Norry1 , @Breedon , @Brusgaard , @Aleman ' @theboxers et al, get on this nice flat 32 mile race around London. given how many are signed up already, could be upwards of 1000 riding tonight. Should be great for setting PBs with all that drafting :hyper:

Been off the bike for a week or so. Mixture of a bit of a motivation blip, lurking cold and stressful work. My average power has been dropping slowly as well, so maybe a week off was a good idea.

Hopefully back on it later today :smile:

Gary E

Veteran
After placing my Ant+ dongle about 10cm from my trainer I now get very few drop outs but they've not been eradicated completely! It seems pointless trailing a lead all the way across the room to my trainer and then rely on wireless for the last few inches.
Surely, at some point, one of the manufacturers is going to cotton onto this and just build in a port so we can have a wired connection?

Brusgaard

Über Guru
After placing my Ant+ dongle about 10cm from my trainer I now get very few drop outs but they've not been eradicated completely! It seems pointless trailing a lead all the way across the room to my trainer and then rely on wireless for the last few inches.
Surely, at some point, one of the manufacturers is going to cotton onto this and just build in a port so we can have a wired connection?

Or you could invest in a ANT+ USB with better reception/transmission capabilities. This one should be up to 3 times better that the standard one supplied by Bkool / Garmin etc. You can probably find it on Amazon etc. as well.

https://www.cykelpartner.dk/hline-a...t-plus-signal-til-bkool-og-garmin_H85425.html

Gary E

Veteran
Yes, but you'd still be relying on a wireless protocol where a simple socket would remove all issues with interference etc. 3 times better would still mean the occasional drop out or lag (admittedly rarely). The fix seems so simple, why not offer a trainer with both?
I realise these are first world problems and that some people need a wireless setup but, for those of us that don't, why not just add a damn port? :wacko:

bobinski

Legendary Member
Yes, but you'd still be relying on a wireless protocol where a simple socket would remove all issues with interference etc. 3 times better would still mean the occasional drop out or lag (admittedly rarely). The fix seems so simple, why not offer a trainer with both?
I realise these are first world problems and that some people need a wireless setup but, for those of us that don't, why not just add a damn port? :wacko:

That would be great going forward but people have to make do with what can be done now.
FWIW,
I run zwift set up on 3 laptops, each of which i connect the Ant+ via a medium price range extender cable from Amazon. 2 are rock solid. The oldest laptop, running Win7 can be a bit flakey connection wise but it struggles to power the USB sockets consistently. If that happened then intermittent loss of connection.
Most modernish laptops and pc's don't have this power problem but there is a setting in Win10 that affects power draw on USB. I cannot find it now but will do so over next day or so.

bridgy

Legendary Member
May have gained a bit but mr bridgeman hasn’t gone yet and he smells fear
Unfortunately I wasn't able to get on the bike on Saturday so missed stage 2 completely. Football-Dad duties tonight and Wednesday so really going to struggle to do stages 3 and 4 too unless I manage to do them at 9pm which I don't really fancy! And I'd still have missed stage 2 anyway so looks like I definitely won't be able to finish this one unfortunately.

Great ride on stage 2 though Lee - top 30 which is really impressive. I'm sure that would have smashed my time on that course!

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
That would be great going forward but people have to make do with what can be done now.
FWIW,
I run zwift set up on 3 laptops, each of which i connect the Ant+ via a medium price range extender cable from Amazon. 2 are rock solid. The oldest laptop, running Win7 can be a bit flakey connection wise but it struggles to power the USB sockets consistently. If that happened then intermittent loss of connection.
Most modernish laptops and pc's don't have this power problem but there is a setting in Win10 that affects power draw on USB. I cannot find it now but will do so over next day or so.

Its under power options(see below). It control whether USB can go to sleep knocking off power
USB power settings.png

bobinski

Legendary Member
Its under power options(see below). It control whether USB can go to sleep knocking off power
View attachment 442917

Andy, That might be it (certainly cannot hurt to have those settings enabled) but i have a recollection there is something else.

The other factor is some laptop and pc motherboards are simply not efficient at providing stable power over USB. Some have interference problems. Its pretty boring i know :rolleyes::biggrin:

Top Bottom