Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Actually efforts from Yesterday are very promising, 25min effort @300(297) so good marker to build for TT season. Ive not started Vo2 Max training yet. :smile:

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
TDZ 8 Boxhill

How many times?!!

2 times up Box plus half lap :ohmy:
Easy peasy ... what could possibly go wrong :tongue:

I've done a 2 lap race (so twice up Box) finishing on Lower Thames and that took me 59:23 (30km and 411 m ascent). Stage 8 adds an extra 10km half lap of flat (?) so a target time of 1hr 20 mins seems reasonable for me. The faster guys should closer to an hour. My Box climb time are about 12 mins, so twice up that is still 5 mins less climbing than once up the Innsbruck climb yesterday. Short, sharp punch :biggrin:

bobinski

Legendary Member
I always struggle up Box- not sure why but I am faster in real life than I am in Zwift.
Let’s again see if as many as possible can ride at the same time.

JuhaL

Guru
Easy peasy ... what could possibly go wrong :tongue:

I've done a 2 lap race (so twice up Box) finishing on Lower Thames and that took me 59:23 (30km and 411 m ascent). Stage 8 adds an extra 10km half lap of flat (?) so a target time of 1hr 20 mins seems reasonable for me. The faster guys should closer to an hour. My Box climb time are about 12 mins, so twice up that is still 5 mins less climbing than once up the Innsbruck climb yesterday. Short, sharp punch :biggrin:
So only couple push-ups and that's it, sounds piece of cake :biggrin:

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
One of the things I've noticed since returning to cycling that certain 'local' hills gain legendary status, for myself, its Harris End Fell, Jubilee Tower, 'Steep' Side of the Trough, and yet when you ride them you think ... "What were they all on about??" Yes, it was hard, yes it had some really steep bits, but it's no Zoncolan, Stelvio or Ventoux! I'm sure Box Hill falls into that category for those in the London and Surrey environs ;) ... I'll probably eat my words, and toss my breakfast after Stage 8 :rofl:

JuhaL

Guru
I always struggle up Box- not sure why but I am faster in real life than I am in Zwift.
Let’s again see if as many as possible can ride at the same time.
Have you a powermeter in your bike?. Can you tell can you produce more power in real life than in Zwift when you climb that Box-hill?.

Del C

Veteran
One of the things I've noticed since returning to cycling that certain 'local' hills gain legendary status, for myself, its Harris End Fell, Jubilee Tower, 'Steep' Side of the Trough, and yet when you ride them you think ... "What were they all on about??" Yes, it was hard, yes it had some really steep bits, but it's no Zoncolan, Stelvio or Ventoux! I'm sure Box Hill falls into that category for those in the London and Surrey environs ;) ... I'll probably eat my words, and toss my breakfast after Stage 8 :rofl:

Box Hill is one of my local climbs. It’s not steep just a long ramp of 1.5 miles. The main difficulties are the length and the fact that the steepest part is at the start, so everyone attacks early, that takes a bit more out of them than they expect and then the first hairpin kicks enough to take a bit more before the rest of the climb.

It’s real status comes from the fact it was part of the Olympic Road Race and now is the turning point of the London Surrey 100. However, it is a nice climb, has great views across towards the Weald and South Downs and has a good cafe at the top.

There are lots of local hills that are much tougher than Box Hill: notably Barhatch Lane/Winterfold, Pitch Hill, Coombe Bottom, White Down and Ranmore in Surrey; Toys Hill, Ide Hill, Hubbards Hill, White Lane and Yorks Hill in Kent.

They’d all make a great CycleChat day out!

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
As it's a box hill finish I wonder if it's 3x box hill......
I don't think so. My 2 lap race was 411 m ascending and stg 8 is not much more. The extra 1/2 I read as the distance from the Lower Thames finish line and the finish line on the Mall

Edit: ignore this, I was wrong. It is thrice up Box Hill with the finish at the top of the hill :okay:

Last edited:
Top Bottom