Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JuhaL

Guru
I'm planning to just finish tonight, not aiming for a specific time. With that many riders around it should mean I always have someone to pootle with :okay:
There are 5 other Cyclechatters in a same event. You are doing just fine with good teamwork :thumbsup:

mjd1988

Guru
IMG_20191211_184051066.jpg
Good thing we aren't a competitive lot! 😁Every little helps!

mjd1988

Guru
1:09.38

Pretty happy with that. Average HR 9 lower than the last stage with same perceived effort and definitely feeling it in the legs so thought it might be a bit slower.

Listened to the who, which worked well except when I got to the foot of box hill and "miles and miles" started. Would have been better if it played at the top "miles and miles and miles and miles and miles."

Cheers @Whorty for politely asking for a tow then straight away pulling the whole group I was in for 10k

Last edited:

berty bassett

Legendary Member
1.01.07 for me please stage 2

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
1:09.38

Pretty happy with that. Average HR 9 lower than the last stage with same perceived effort and definitely feeling it in the legs so thought it might be a bit slower.

Listened to the who, which worked well except when I got to the foot of box hill and "miles and miles" started. Would have been better if it played at the top "miles and miles and miles and miles and miles."

Cheers @Whorty for politely asking for a tow then straight away pulling the whole group I was in for 10k
1:08:23 for me ^_^

I rolled the first part of the course, just sitting in a slowish group. Hit Box the first time in 800th, crested it in 540th . Sat in a group again, being a bit idle until the punch up Northumberland. Bridged to the group ahead to find @mjd1988 :hugs:Still had quite a bit of energy left so had an even faster Box time 2nd attempt. Met Del towards the top. Pretty much stuck together on the ascent, although i nearly buggered that up :wacko: Just managed to pull away and latch on to a wheel out of the underground, to bring me home.

Actually enjoyed that and felt so much better than yesterday :okay:

1:08:23 for me ^_^

I rolled the first part of the course, just sitting in a slowish group. Hit Box the first time in 800th, crested it in 540th . Sat in a group again, being a bit idle until the punch up Northumberland. Bridged to the group ahead to find @mjd1988 :hugs:Still had quite a bit of energy left so had an even faster Box time 2nd attempt. Met Del towards the top. Pretty much stuck together on the ascent, although i nearly buggered that up :wacko: Just managed to pull away and latch on to a wheel out of the underground, to bring me home.

Actually enjoyed that and felt so much better than yesterday :okay:
I watched you for the whole race , it tired me out just watching

Get ready for stage 3 ,1 lap incudes both Box and Leith hills 25.4 miles starts Saturday

Last edited:

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
I watched you for the whole race , it tired me out just watching

Get ready for stage 3 ,1 lap incudes both Box and Leith hills 25.4 miles starts Saturday
I think my tactic of allowing the draft to drag me to Box the first time really helped. I don't think I lost too much time, and I was fresh for the climb. Really surprised myself though tonight given how I failed so badly yesterday. Big lesson for me ... don't try to stay with the fast guys out the blocks, I'm not good enough :laugh:

Del C

Veteran
1.08.34 for me @peterob

I had some slightly bad news today, which means I'll either drop out of the league for a couple of months, or stay in but just ride at an easier tempo.

I had a coronary stent fitted in early 2011. I had no symptoms at all but after an annual work health check I had what turned out to be a letterbox narrowing in one artery. This is where you get some plaque on either side of the artery, as opposed to a complete narrowing, and this was probably why I had no symptoms. I agreed to have a stent fitted as a precaution, due to the amount of cycling I did and the fact that most summers I went riding in high mountains. The cardiologists involved said they wouldn't have fitted a stent if I'd been more sedentary. They'd have just monitored me.

Since the stent was fitted, I've been fine and after early retirement in 2014, I've had more time to ride and feel fitter than I did when I was in full time work.

So, today I had my annual check up. Blood pressure normal, in fact as good as someone much younger. However, I have a very slow pulse. I always have. In my 20s when I was playing a good level at Squash, my resting heart rate was around 30. Today, an initial measurement was 38, so the cardiologist decided to do an ECG. After that, and with the nurse asking me if I felt ok (I felt absolutely normal) the ECG produced a resting heart rate of 35.

The cardiologist decided to send me for an urgent Cat Scan. He wants to check whether my stent is failing and causing a slower heart rate, or whether its ok and my low heart rate is 'just me'.

This is a tough situation for me and its given my wife some concern. I have no negative symptoms at all, but I can hardly ignore my cardiologist, who has asked me to stop my 'aggressive cycling' until he has the results of the Cat Scan.

I decided to ride tonight's stage as I'd already signed up. I didn't really want to pull out, especially as I feel fine. But I've got be honest that I held back a bit at times tonight as today's consultation was playing on my mind, although when I got on to Box Hill the competitive side took over, especially when I saw that @Whorty and I were in the same group.

I don't plan to stop riding. The Cardiologist hopes the Cat Scan will be early in the New Year, so I think until then I'll probably cut back to riding in group rides, or just ride the Cyclechat league at an easier pace as long as that's acceptable to you guys. I may also ride a bit more outdoors at an easier pace.

Sorry for the long post, but I suppose it helps a bit to share and after my continued improvement over recent months, I don't want people to think I've just bailed out and don't care anymore.

Last edited:
Top Bottom