Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjd1988

Guru
This is actually my tactic - strange as it may seem, I never try to win a race I just bust a gut to try and stick to the group I'm in. When I pop, I recover until the next group comes along and rinse and repeat. It does mean when I get to the sprint I have nothing left :laugh:

Yeah this is how most races work out for me too!

Surge and survive. Rinse and repeat. Helps to know where a surge is needed on a course, but generally if the road goes uphill or through gravel I'm going to up the power fairly substantially. Otherwise I look to do the least power possible in the group until my HR is down a bit. Gives a good workout although it is more fun when you are near the top of a cat as you can try to attack and counterattack a bit more when you think people are cracking.

bobinski

Legendary Member
That's a superb tool Paul :okay: Thanks for sharing.
There’s an excellent blog on there advising not to train for anaerobic improvements based on ftp.

BurningLegs

Veteran
That is a good resource. Looks like you can export to Garmin or Training Peaks. Shame you can’t download a .zwo - that would be a dream come true for me!

For anyone who does create custom workouts - this is quite a handy resource for creating the .zwo workout files -http://zwofactory.com/

The files have to be put into a specific folder on Mac or PC but will then sync to any device (including Apple TV).

There’s an excellent blog on there advising not to train for anaerobic improvements based on ftp.
I haven’t read that (can’t find it on mobile version kfbut that’s what I took from a Trainer Road video on the topic.

What I remember is that if your workout requires sweet spot, tempo etc then use ERG and stick to the required % of FTP but as soon as you’re up at the top end ditch ERG and do it on feel with the emphasis being to complete the effort (e.g 30secs at anything over 120% rather than hitting a specific effort).

Last edited:

bobinski

Legendary Member
That is a good resource. Looks like you can export to Garmin or Training Peaks. Shame you can’t download a .zwo - that would be a dream come true for me!

For anyone who does create custom workouts - this is quite a handy resource for creating the .zwo workout files -http://zwofactory.com/

The files have to be put into a specific folder on Mac or PC but will then sync to any device (including Apple TV).

I haven’t read that (can’t find it on mobile version kfbut that’s what I took from a Trainer Road video on the topic.

What I remember is that if your workout requires sweet spot, tempo etc then use ERG and stick to the required % of FTP but as soon as you’re up at the top end ditch ERG and do it on feel with the emphasis being to complete the effort (e.g 30secs at anything over 120% rather than hitting a specific effort).
It’s below.
Ignore the talk about W. The article repeats what TR and SF say but the latter’s 4dp test gives an idea aid where a rider’s anaerobic fitness is. Not that I know what I am talking about😁- I am just repeating what I read 👍

https://trainerday.com/ftp-based-training-is-half-wrong/

kipster

Guru

You can download zwo, ive done it and used them on Zwift

Really good night in the WTRL TTT tonight. There was only five of us made the start line tonight, got an early start time which was nice. Quite a long one 2 laps of sand and Sequoias bit straggly through titans grove but Other than that very smooth change overs. 1.03.56 was enough to get us in the premier league next week. Latte.

steverob

Guru
Gave myself a bit of a fright tonight - almost got caught out by the same Crit City issue that others on here have experienced; where you accidentally go so hard that you end up getting promoted! In the end I didn't, but I came quite close and had to wait a good hour until ZwiftPower had fully analysed the power metrics before I was sure whether I was still in D or not.

It was 10 laps of the anti-clockwise Crit course (opposite direction to my effort last week) and I did my usual attempt to attach myself to a reasonably strong C group out of the gate with as much power as I could muster, then cling on to them for dear life for as long as possible. In the end I managed 5 laps - the only reason I lost them was because just as we were about to start the rollers on the 6th lap, the A leaders lapped us and our group just got completely splintered in their wake. I was towards the rear at the time and most of those ahead of me were able to hold the A's draft longer than I could and so were now anywhere between 2 and 5 seconds ahead - too much for me to catch up alone.

It didn't matter too much as according to ZwiftPower, there was only one D ahead of me and he was actually a B really so I ignored his results from then on. Soloed next three laps at an easier pace, then realised that another group of D's were catching up with me and so had to put the power down again to maintain my "lead", which ended up with me riding the last lap with some C's for their draft.

Crossed the line feeling pretty happy with my efforts, only to then see the "Increase in FTP" screen appear - I'd gone up from 237w to 239w! At my current weight, those numbers would have still been within the leeway to keep me in that race's results, but would have pushed my best 3 race average over 2.5 w/kg, meaning I might have been racing C for the next 90 days! However, while I waited for ZP to give the full results, I looked at my stats on VeloViewer and it said 95% of my best 20 minutes for that race was only 235w, so I was hoping that maybe Zwift's calculation was a little off.

As it turned out, once everything was properly calculated, VV was more accurate and I was actually (just) below the limit and given that my previous best race has just dropped off the list as it is 91 days ago now, I am still firmly in D for the meantime, though getting very close to achieving the "nearly C" moniker!

Video? Sure, why not? Not the most riveting watch, but I might as well:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOccEl7TwcA

Last edited:

Del C

Veteran
Really good night in the WTRL TTT tonight. There was only five of us made the start line tonight, got an early start time which was nice. Quite a long one 2 laps of sand and Sequoias bit straggly through titans grove but Other than that very smooth change overs. 1.03.56 was enough to get us in the premier league next week. Latte.
That's a good time.

2 laps around Sand and Sequoias is a tough course!

1.03.15 for us was nowhere near good enough to get into the Frappe Premier League, but it was good enough to get us 80th out of 151 entries, and that's what matters! :tongue:

Spartak