Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
I don’t think it’ll be the chain itself. Did he replace the rear cassette? Did he replace the gear cables?
He replaced the chain, BB and front deraileur. The old chain was very stretched but indexed fine so I assumed as it's a new chain and 'tighter' (is that right?) that this would knock the indexing out slightly.

It jumps on the middle gears of the rear cassette - it seems fine on the outer gears top and bottom. And it seems to be mostly an issue when I'm in the large ring on the front. It also seems worse when I'm not pushing too hard, but jumps less when I'm putting on more pressure.

It's not a major hassle and I'm sure I'll get it right at some stage, but does mean I'm sometimes missing a gear when I'm about to attack and that's why I getted dropped (how's that for an excuse :laugh: )

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
If its still slipping, then its most likely the cass. When a chain and cassette wear together they can be fine, but a new chain can expose a worn cassette. Back to the bike shop for an 11-23 cassette:whistle:
:biggrin:

Whorty

If its still slipping, then its most likely the cass. When a chain and cassette wear together they can be fine, but a new chain can expose a worn cassette. Back to the bike shop for an 11-23 cassette:whistle:
:biggrin:
:eek:

I could switch over the one from the wheel to the trainer and see if that works better (if I knew how to do that :wacko: ). Or just live with the slipping :whistle::tongue:

Del C

Veteran
He replaced the chain, BB and front deraileur. The old chain was very stretched but indexed fine so I assumed as it's a new chain and 'tighter' (is that right?) that this would knock the indexing out slightly.

It jumps on the middle gears of the rear cassette - it seems fine on the outer gears top and bottom. And it seems to be mostly an issue when I'm in the large ring on the front. It also seems worse when I'm not pushing too hard, but jumps less when I'm putting on more pressure.

It's not a major hassle and I'm sure I'll get it right at some stage, but does mean I'm sometimes missing a gear when I'm about to attack and that's why I getted dropped (how's that for an excuse :laugh: )
Andy’s absolutely right on the cassette. If your chain stretches, it will accelerate wear on the cassette and can round off some of the teeth, so that when you fit a new chain it can end up slipping under load. Your description sounds like that’s what’s happening and a new cassette is the only way out. Obviously Andy’s suggestion of an 11-23 is the only way to go! It’s a fantastic option for those climbs like the radio tower! :laugh:

But more importantly, what happened to all the matted hair stuck on your front derailleur?xx(

Whorty

Andy’s absolutely right on the cassette. If your chain stretches, it will accelerate wear on the cassette and can round off some of the teeth, so that when you fit a new chain it can end up slipping under load. Your description sounds like that’s what’s happening and a new cassette is the only way out. Obviously Andy’s suggestion of an 11-23 is the only way to go! It’s a fantastic option for those climbs like the radio tower! :laugh:

But more importantly, what happened to all the matted hair stuck on your front derailleur?xx(
You two are bad men :tongue: You know if I have an 11/23 I'd need a 52/36 on the front :laugh:

Looks like I'm going to need to get the tools to remove a cassette :okay:

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
Ride the Ventoux without any hacks...works on ios and with no config file messing about.

View: https://youtu.be/r7CJ71rHwZY

I don’t know when I’ll get to ride the french world. I’m taking a couple of days off the bike...back tomorrow night don’t fear! Plus I’ve the next week off work and the weather forecast is good (for NI) so I’ll put in some outdoor miles.

The legs haven’t felt great this last few days on the bike - so much so that on our club hill climb TT on Thursday evening I was about to be overtaken by my minute man, so to save some embarrassment on the next corner I spotted an open field gate so I juked in and hid to let my man pass - he didn’t have a clue where I’d gone 😀

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Whorty it’s definitely worth having the tools to do bits and pieces on the bike yourself. Even just getting a chain checking took will tell you in the future when the chain is stretched too far and save you money on buying cassette too often. If you don’t fancy doing the work yourself that will tell you when it’s time to take it to the mechanic. With the cassette you’ll need to do that yourself unless you want to lug the neo to your bike shop. It’s not hard to be honest. I’d recommend not scrimping on the chain whip. I had the chain part snap on me as I was putting pressure on it to loosen the locking but in the cassette. I ended ramming my fist into the cassette. It hurt quite a bit 😄

Whorty

Whorty it’s definitely worth having the tools to do bits and pieces on the bike yourself. Even just getting a chain checking took will tell you in the future when the chain is stretched too far and save you money on buying cassette too often. If you don’t fancy doing the work yourself that will tell you when it’s time to take it to the mechanic. With the cassette you’ll need to do that yourself unless you want to lug the neo to your bike shop. It’s not hard to be honest. I’d recommend not scrimping on the chain whip. I had the chain part snap on me as I was putting pressure on it to loosen the locking but in the cassette. I ended ramming my fist into the cassette. It hurt quite a bit 😄
I picked up the chain checking tool when I picked the bike up recently :okay:

Agree I should get some tools I'm just useless at anything mechanical so I'd be sacred to do more damage. When I had this cassette put on I did it at Halfords :laugh:

@CXRAndy - cheers for the strava link
Following your chum - lives near by 👍
I don’t think going with a local’s advice would be nearly as good a a guy who rode through there once. Here is the important Information. At the top of the hill on the old railway trail go with the Shortbread with caramel and a flat white... just before the spot where you have to walk up the steep part go with the scones with raspberry jam and clotted cream

Attachments

• 750BAB36-043C-49CB-9A8C-752946ADCD3E.png
    750BAB36-043C-49CB-9A8C-752946ADCD3E.png
    40.1 KB · Views: 4
  • E363E4C0-B9C7-4D53-AF2C-71972317AF3A.png
    E363E4C0-B9C7-4D53-AF2C-71972317AF3A.png
    164.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 6ABA87F2-0004-4A73-8B83-F1A7D0641192.png
    6ABA87F2-0004-4A73-8B83-F1A7D0641192.png
    140.9 KB · Views: 4
  • B49C21B1-B6FF-42D4-9A5D-F13B9630EE6C.png
    B49C21B1-B6FF-42D4-9A5D-F13B9630EE6C.png
    213.6 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
I don’t think going with a local’s advice would be nearly as good a a guy who rode through there once. Here is the important Information. At the top of the hill on the old railway trail go with the Shortbread with caramel and a flat white... just before the spot where you have to walk up the steep part go with the scones with raspberry jam and clotted cream

Some cracking rides there Randy. :okay:

Im hoping to do something if time allows later this summer/autumn

Top Bottom