Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tdcadillac

As @theboxers says, yes there are a whole host of workouts and training plans available. It also has the nice feature that you can create your own custom workouts which is something I do. If you're new to cycling there are plenty of build-up plans, but if you're more experienced there are some lung busters available too :okay:
Awesome I am a newbie so I will be looking forward to the already plans available.

BurningLegs

Veteran
Thanks very much. is the right sub forum to post questions regarding Trainers, online training .... I just bought a bike that I want to use in the winter with a trainer and want to more info
Yeah go for it. This thread is mostly about Zwift but we all have experience with trainers and most of us have experience of other training platforms.

What do you want to know? :smile:

tdcadillac

Yeah go for it. This thread is mostly about Zwift but we all have experience with trainers and most of us have experience of other training platforms.

What do you want to know? :smile:
Thanks :smile: I want to know a trainer model that I can track power and speed (to monitor improvement) I don't want to spend a lot that is why I need a feedback on model which is reliable and can do the job but not expensive :smile: . I mostly will go with Zwift as is it the most popular but any other platform suggested is ok. I am more looking to use it to build endurance and increase power while not riding alone as I use to do with spinning bike :smile:

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
The WTRL TTT events ran under the same rules except they were mass start rather than timed start events.

Every one rode TT bikes in those events
Ok that makes sense. So it must just be Bologna and Tick Tok available if you want to have the rolling starts and separate starting times. Guess it takes a bit of software black magic to set this up for different circuits.

mjd1988

Guru
Thanks :smile: I want to know a trainer model that I can track power and speed (to monitor improvement) I don't want to spend a lot that is why I need a feedback on model which is reliable and can do the job but not expensive :smile: . I mostly will go with Zwift as is it the most popular but any other platform suggested is ok. I am more looking to use it to build endurance and increase power while not riding alone as I use to do with spinning bike :smile:

Welcome!

Do you have a rough budget? Do you have a power meter already? There are lots of different options:

"dumb trainers" with ant+ speed sensors. They are usually magnetic turbos and can be picked up very cheaply. They cannot interact fully with 3ed party apps like zwift though and the power estimates will be impossible to trust. Speed sensors are often bought separately for 30 quid or something.

Wheel on smart trainers. I think everyone here would recommend a smart turbo. Many people start off with a dumb trainer but when you've tried a smart one there is no going back. Essentially they are much more accurate in terms of power but can also have their resistance controlled by zwift- this means when you are going uphill the resistance increases etc. It really improved the experience.

Direct drive trainers- you take off the back wheel and connect the cassette to the turbo. Increased accuracy but a bit more expensive

Smart bikes - no road bike at all, like a gym spin bike but with all the features of the direct drive trainers. The most expensive of the lot.

You'll still get a great workout with the most basic trainers but I would recommend a wheel on smart trainer at least if you are looking to track power.

BurningLegs

Veteran
Good summary from @mjd1988 - I’d say you need £250 for a decent experience on Zwift, and that will give you an entry level smart trainer. You used to be able to get just under the £200 mark at the right time of year worth discounts etc but prices are unusually high at the moment

Del C

Veteran
Welcome!

Do you have a rough budget? Do you have a power meter already? There are lots of different options:

"dumb trainers" with ant+ speed sensors. They are usually magnetic turbos and can be picked up very cheaply. They cannot interact fully with 3ed party apps like zwift though and the power estimates will be impossible to trust. Speed sensors are often bought separately for 30 quid or something.

Wheel on smart trainers. I think everyone here would recommend a smart turbo. Many people start off with a dumb trainer but when you've tried a smart one there is no going back. Essentially they are much more accurate in terms of power but can also have their resistance controlled by zwift- this means when you are going uphill the resistance increases etc. It really improved the experience.

Direct drive trainers- you take off the back wheel and connect the cassette to the turbo. Increased accuracy but a bit more expensive

Smart bikes - no road bike at all, like a gym spin bike but with all the features of the direct drive trainers. The most expensive of the lot.

You'll still get a great workout with the most basic trainers but I would recommend a wheel on smart trainer at least if you are looking to track power.
Excellent summary.

This is really all you need to get going!

tdcadillac

Welcome!

No I don't have a sensor and my budget is 300 pounds. my spinning bike was broken and I replace it with a road bike . I like the description for each option. If I eliminate the smart bikes as I will cycling outside and the wheel off as they are expensive I will choose the smart turbo over the dumb trainer for the benefit you mentioned (increase accuracy and improve the experience). not sure if they are in my budget I will start looking and post what I found for feedback Thanks very much mjd1988

Last edited:

BurningLegs

Veteran
@tdcadillac - if you’re looking for a good example of an entry level smart trainer that does everything you’ll need for Zwift, this would be a good place to start:

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/tu...rs/elite-novo-smart-turbo-trainer-461874.html

I don’t think you’ll get anything better for a £300 budget but feel free to post anything you find if you want someone to give some feedback.

This won’t be as accurate as a power meter or high end trainer, so if that’s important to you don’t go for any wheel on trainer. Go Tacx Neo or Wahoo Kickr.

My journey has been to buy an entry level wheel on turbo (Tacx flow - now discontinued) and recently spent £200 on an accurate power meter which can be used inside and outside. For anyone on a budget this is a nice option because it’s not a huge upfront cost on an entry level smart turbo but can be improved later (again without too much cost) if you do get serious.

Last edited:

tdcadillac

@tdcadillac - if you’re looking for a good example of an entry level smart trainer that does everything you’ll need for Zwift, this would be a good place to start:

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/tu...rs/elite-novo-smart-turbo-trainer-461874.html

I don’t think you’ll get anything better for a £300 budget but feel free to post anything you find if you want someone to give some feedback.

This won’t be as accurate as a power meter or high end trainer, so if that’s important to you don’t go for any wheel on trainer. Go Tacx Neo or Wahoo Kickr.

My journey has been to buy an entry level wheel on turbo (Tacx flow - now discontinued) and recently spent £200 on an accurate power meter which can be used inside and outside. For anyone on a budget this is a nice option because it’s not a huge upfront cost on an entry level smart turbo but can be improved later (again without too much cost) if you do get serious.
This is the one I found around £350 (https://www.primeauvelo.com/en/flow-smart-t2240-trainer-55356-0016206.html )

That is good idea to have something to measure inside and outside (power meter).
how about his combination:
Trainer: (https://www.primeauvelo.com/en/blue-matic-t2650-trainer-4348-0008949.html)
Power meter: https://www.primeauvelo.com/en/ridetime-elite-cycling-computer-96638-0024433.html
it need a sensor I think and the power meter doesn't come with sensor

Spartak