Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BurningLegs

Veteran
@Joffey a listener question was read to a scientist from SIS on the Cycling Podcast a while back asking abou this exact issue regarding headaches the next day after Zwift races. As well as fluids, the guy did say to ensure you re-fuel properly with food (protein & carbs) post-ride

Absolutely, @bridgy - I cannot recommend this enough @Joffey - salt and carb drink during warm up and race, then approx 3-4:1 carb to protein with a bit more salt in it immediately after works wonders for me. When I started out I used to suffer cramps in the night and headaches the following day.

It helps you go faster during the race, helps you recover quicker after so you feel better the next day, and helps you build back stronger. It is like magic.

The Trainerroad podcast did a deep dive on recovery nutrition a couple of months back and I might butcher the science here (someone pull me up on it if they can correct me) but as far as I remember it is an insulin spike caused by that rapid carb intake in the recovery drink that helps with recovery. The carbs in the drink/food boosts glucose in your blood, so your body spikes insulin to combat the glucose. Muscles (which are depleted of glucose after a tough training session) are triggered to "absorb" that glucose by the insulin spike, which puts the muscles in a better position to build back stronger (which the protein helps with).

I wouldn't personally recommend the SiS stuff though - I mean it's good, but you need deep pockets! I buy bulk bags of 50:50 maltodextrin/dextrose as carb powder and then powdered whey protein.

Recovery drink is 1g electrolytes, 75g maltodextrin/dextrose, 25g whey protein - approx 400Kcals
Ride drink is 1g electrolytes, 50g maltodextrin/dextrose - approx 200Kcals

For a hard training session or race I will have two ride drinks and a recovery drink aftewards. It is rare that I finish both bottles - normally drink approx 1.5 so usually burn 800 - 1000 Kcals and put 600 - 800 back in so even with all that carb consumption the ride itself still puts me into a defecit, never mind the "afterburn"

Sorry, a bit of a waffle there but it has worked wonders for me so keen to share. Your headaches are solvable and solving them will make you faster!

BurningLegs

Veteran
I'm having a weird problem with my trainer (a Tacx flow - basic wheel on trainer).

I use it as a controllable trainer and a separate power meter for recording power and cadence. Yesterday during the race my trainer stopped offering resistance and effectively became a dumb trainer for most of the second lap which was really frustrating and lost my place in the front group!

This evening I went to do some basic troubleshooting and have determined that:
  • When I run Zwift on my iPhone and pair the trainer directly, it works perfectly. I can see the trainer as a controllable trainer in pairing screen - no problems. I also see it in the options for power and cadence sensor, but don't select it because I have the power meter
  • When I run Zwift on the Apple TV I don't see the trainer available as a controllable trainer in the pairing menu, but I can see it as a power source and cadence sensor
  • The issues pairing with Zwift on Apple TV are consistent whether I attempt to pair directly or through Companion App
  • iPhone and Apple TV are running the same version of Zwift
  • Zwift was updated on my Apple TV on 6th of Jan and I've ridden twice since then - one had no issues, the other was the race yesterday where the issue appears to have started mid ride
So... anyone got any ideas or experienced something similar?

I've seen there is a Zwift update due imminently to resolve a bug with rendering riders in large events, and apparently available before the end of the week so at the moment I've got my fingers crossed that an app update will solve my issue. If it doesn't I will go for an uninstall/reinstall of Zwift on Apple TV.

It doesn't seem like a trainer issue to me because it works great when paired with my iPhone (thank god - I don't want to be trying to get hold of a replacement trainer right now!)

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
If it doesn't I will go for an uninstall/reinstall of Zwift on Apple TV.
Not sure Nick what the problem is, but the uninstall and reinstall is a fairly quick process and the only downside is you lose the app data like your historic power curve and personal bests. I’ve had to do this to force updates recently

Did you try to unpair/forget the trainer on your phone’s Bluetooth settings just in case it is paired to the phone running Zwift app, and therefore not paired to the Apple TV.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
We are collecting Covid results like nobody's business.:ohmy:

Wife has antibodies from previous unknown (likely daughter) exposure.

I dont have antibodies (well not yet- results awaiting). :hyper:

BUT, Ive just had positive Covid test today :sad:

Dont feel so bad, been carrying chest infection for a week or so, clearing up steadily.

Im in isolation for 10 days, signing off till then

Only kidding ^_^

Joffey

Big Dosser
Absolutely, @bridgy - I cannot recommend this enough @Joffey - salt and carb drink during warm up and race, then approx 3-4:1 carb to protein with a bit more salt in it immediately after works wonders for me. When I started out I used to suffer cramps in the night and headaches the following day.

It helps you go faster during the race, helps you recover quicker after so you feel better the next day, and helps you build back stronger. It is like magic.

The Trainerroad podcast did a deep dive on recovery nutrition a couple of months back and I might butcher the science here (someone pull me up on it if they can correct me) but as far as I remember it is an insulin spike caused by that rapid carb intake in the recovery drink that helps with recovery. The carbs in the drink/food boosts glucose in your blood, so your body spikes insulin to combat the glucose. Muscles (which are depleted of glucose after a tough training session) are triggered to "absorb" that glucose by the insulin spike, which puts the muscles in a better position to build back stronger (which the protein helps with).

I wouldn't personally recommend the SiS stuff though - I mean it's good, but you need deep pockets! I buy bulk bags of 50:50 maltodextrin/dextrose as carb powder and then powdered whey protein.

Recovery drink is 1g electrolytes, 75g maltodextrin/dextrose, 25g whey protein - approx 400Kcals
Ride drink is 1g electrolytes, 50g maltodextrin/dextrose - approx 200Kcals

For a hard training session or race I will have two ride drinks and a recovery drink aftewards. It is rare that I finish both bottles - normally drink approx 1.5 so usually burn 800 - 1000 Kcals and put 600 - 800 back in so even with all that carb consumption the ride itself still puts me into a defecit, never mind the "afterburn"

Sorry, a bit of a waffle there but it has worked wonders for me so keen to share. Your headaches are solvable and solving them will make you faster!

I think I need to look at my ride nutrition. At the moment I just drink squash. Might get a few bits online and see if it makes me feel better next week. Ta for that Legs 👍

Joffey

Big Dosser
I'm having a weird problem with my trainer (a Tacx flow - basic wheel on trainer).

I use it as a controllable trainer and a separate power meter for recording power and cadence. Yesterday during the race my trainer stopped offering resistance and effectively became a dumb trainer for most of the second lap which was really frustrating and lost my place in the front group!

This evening I went to do some basic troubleshooting and have determined that:
  • When I run Zwift on my iPhone and pair the trainer directly, it works perfectly. I can see the trainer as a controllable trainer in pairing screen - no problems. I also see it in the options for power and cadence sensor, but don't select it because I have the power meter
  • When I run Zwift on the Apple TV I don't see the trainer available as a controllable trainer in the pairing menu, but I can see it as a power source and cadence sensor
  • The issues pairing with Zwift on Apple TV are consistent whether I attempt to pair directly or through Companion App
  • iPhone and Apple TV are running the same version of Zwift
  • Zwift was updated on my Apple TV on 6th of Jan and I've ridden twice since then - one had no issues, the other was the race yesterday where the issue appears to have started mid ride
So... anyone got any ideas or experienced something similar?

I've seen there is a Zwift update due imminently to resolve a bug with rendering riders in large events, and apparently available before the end of the week so at the moment I've got my fingers crossed that an app update will solve my issue. If it doesn't I will go for an uninstall/reinstall of Zwift on Apple TV.

It doesn't seem like a trainer issue to me because it works great when paired with my iPhone (thank god - I don't want to be trying to get hold of a replacement trainer right now!)

I'm using a Flux and ATV and not noticed anything like that :sad:

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)

Dont feel so bad, been carrying chest infection for a week or so, clearing up steadily.

Only kidding ^_^
Shoot, take it easy Andy. Keeping everything crossed you'll have no or mild symptoms, but definitely don't push it. Keep us updated on your health :hugs:

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Shoot, take it easy Andy. Keeping everything crossed you'll have no or mild symptoms, but definitely don't push it. Keep us updated on your health :hugs:

Cheers Carl. We had thought we had been exposed before xmas, hence antibody blood test. We thought via daughter,whose school year was flagged with some cases.

In the meantime, wife ordered Covid tests, so I took one, out of interest. Surprised really ,as I dont go anywhere and very rarely meet other folk.

Joffey

Big Dosser
Cheers Carl. We had thought we had been exposed before xmas, hence antibody blood test. We thought via daughter,whose school year was flagged with some cases.

In the meantime, wife ordered Covid tests, so I took one, out of interest. Surprised really ,as I dont go anywhere and very rarely meet other folk.

Out of interest where did you obtain antibody tests?

And take care 👍

Last edited:

mjd1988

Guru

Only kidding ^_^

Take care Andy

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Out of interest where did you obtain antibody tests?

And take care 👍

Lloyds pharmacy online doctor. Cost, £69 for the privilege of blood letting. Send off via tracked parcel, get results in around 48 hours.

This is not the cheaper £24 home flow test kit. The correct results from these flow tests are around 50%

Where as the blood antibody test is around 85%- not perfect but darn sight higher

The antibody test can only be taken after 20 days after symptoms have subsided. This allows the body to make enough antibodies to be found in a blood test

Last edited:

Joffey

Big Dosser
Lloyds pharmacy online doctor. Cost, £69 for the privilege of blood letting. Send off via tracked parcel, get results in around 48 hours.

This is not the cheaper £24 home flow test kit. The correct results from these flow tests are around 50%

Where as the blood antibody teat is around 85%- not perfect but darn sight higher

Cool, thanks Andy - hope you all get well soon.

steverob

Guru
It's been a slow morning at work, so as we're still waiting for official results for Tuesday's race, I thought I'd try to compile some myself. And it's a lot harder than it looks!

This is mainly due to riders no longer having to have team tags on their ZP profile and in their Zwift names, which has meant some investigative/guess work to try and allocate the points to the correct team. For #68's league that wasn't too bad, but in CCCT's league, as they've got two sets of teams that both belong to the same club and most of them just put the club name, not the specific team name down, I just ended up splitting the points evenly where I wasn't sure.

Provisionally I have #68 finishing 8th out of 15 and CCCT coming 4th out of 14. Haven't done #23's league yet, but could do if wanted - though probably by the time I get it done, the official results will be in by then!

mjd1988

Guru
It's been a slow morning at work, so as we're still waiting for official results for Tuesday's race, I thought I'd try to compile some myself. And it's a lot harder than it looks!

This is mainly due to riders no longer having to have team tags on their ZP profile and in their Zwift names, which has meant some investigative/guess work to try and allocate the points to the correct team. For #68's league that wasn't too bad, but in CCCT's league, as they've got two sets of teams that both belong to the same club and most of them just put the club name, not the specific team name down, I just ended up splitting the points evenly where I wasn't sure.

Provisionally I have #68 finishing 8th out of 15 and CCCT coming 4th out of 14. Haven't done #23's league yet, but could do if wanted - though probably by the time I get it done, the official results will be in by then!

That's amazing - did you go through all the primes as well? Jealous of your job

Top Bottom