Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjd1988

Guru
I've changed trainer - have an Atom now, and that's helped. No more gears slipping, losing power as the gears keep changing themselves! Feels easier to keep pedalling a smooth stroke on the Atom compared to my old road bike on the NEO.

I'm hoping to upgrade to the atom in the next couple of months which is why I was updating pedals, let me know how you find it as time goes on :thumbsup:

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
Great stuff from both of you! Fancy joining me on Sunday morning for a razz up AdZ? Matt and I are planning to start the Über Pretzel at around 04:30, so we’re probably looking to be starting the Alpe around 0800. If you happen to log on and see me on the ‘ride with’ list, feel free to join us!

BurningLegs

Veteran
C is good fun! Hopefully the autocat system works because I am purpose built to ruin flatish c races (I'll upgrade soon I promise!). I stayed within cat limits without trying (just about) but because of 1 min power I finished 1st in C cat and 4th in B cat.

Also my first race with spd-sl pedals instead of flat and found it very helpful for those Sharp climbing efforts so hopefully that will eke out some marginal gains!

That said I'll still be crap in longer steadier climbs so hopefully autocat will bail me out accordingly
“Purpose built to ruin flattish C races” has got to be a tag line for you somewhere! :laugh:

I suppose that if you wanted to keep it that way without sandbagging you could start lifting weights to simultaneously increase your short term power and your weight so the longer duration w/kg doesn’t creep up?

Last edited:

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
I'm hoping to upgrade to the atom in the next couple of months which is why I was updating pedals, let me know how you find it as time goes on :thumbsup:
Love it so far. Very comfy, and like I say the pedalling is so much smoother. I could never get the indexing right on the bike, it was constantly jumping gears so couldn't pedal smooth. Much easier now to keep a good stroke. Also, standing up to ride is easier on the Atom for some reason.

Whorty

Should say ... if anyone is looking for a NEO2 then I'll be selling mine so let me know.

If anyone looking to get an Atom, they are processing and delivering orders within a week at the moment so you might want to get in there before the weather changes and we have lockdown 10 and everyone starts buying trainers again!

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Carl, have Wattbike sorted the shifting issue when on Zwift? Tommy and others had problems

Whorty

Carl, have Wattbike sorted the shifting issue when on Zwift? Tommy and others had problems
I see no issues with gear changing, feels instant, so I assume any problems with the earlier models have been fixed yes. Feels very sturdy, takes up less space in my room, and smoother riding so I'm happy so far from the few rides I've had.

It doesn't feel any easier than the NEO - if anything I have to push harder when in the lowest gear on any ramps 10%+ On the NEO I can spin (ish) at 80 cadence when Zwift set at 100%, but on the Atom I struggle to turn the pedals and as such I feel I have to push more watts just to keep pedalling. So my assumption is Gear 1 on the Atom is harder than 34/32 on the bike/NEO setup - not sure if anyone has ever tried to work out what the Atom gearing matches on a road bike? (goes to Google to see)

Edit : Just found this. It's from an old article but I guess is still valid : " the current gear range for the Atom is, by default, equivalent to a 52/36 chainset and 11-28 cassette " Probably explains why Gear 1 on the Atom at 36/28 I was struggling to turn the pedals on the Alpe and needing 275 watts to move, but on the NEO at 34/32 I could spin and needed less watts.

Last edited:

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Well 50k today with the new xc/vector 3 setup. In use they are exactly like any Shimano SPD pedal, currently have m520's on my bikes.

The power readings are around what I was expecting. Avg 225w, Normalised 233w, max 905w, 20 min 226w. 50/50 power balance. All I have to do now is sort the cycling dynamic bit out. It's ok, most of the time, when going up hill. However on the flat I tend to lose the right pedal dynamics, power is there just no dynamics reading. When going down a gentle slope I tend to lose the dynamics on both.

Not sure what's causing it. I'm ordering some new CR-1/3N batteries in case the ones I have are low power.

On the whole very pleased with the setup. Just sad it took so long for the SPD version to come to market.

Top Bottom