Zwift setup for kids (20+ inch wheels)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Hia,

My son expressed interest in zwifting. I already figured out that you can create a kids account for free - that's sorted.

What about the hardware though? He has a road bike on 24'' wheels with Shimano Claris components. I use Zwift with the Wattbike and have no experience using smart trainers. Can anyone recommend me a product that would be compatible with his bicycle?

[EDIT]:

Sorted, see post #8.

Last edited:

Milzy

Guru
Hia,

My son expressed interest in zwifting. I already figured out that you can create a kids account for free - that's sorted.

What about the hardware though? He has a road bike on 24'' wheels with Shimano Claris components. I use Zwift with the Wattbike and have no experience using smart trainers. Can anyone recommend me a product that would be compatible with his bicycle?
Can’t you just fit your son to the wattbike?

OP
OP
Peter Salt

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Can’t you just fit your son to the wattbike?
Yes, he had a few rides, which is how I know he's actually keen. Unfortunately, even with all the parts adjusted to smallest possible person it's still too large. Also, the main idea here is to ride together so we need separate rigs.

The elite novo smart from Halfords works with 24" wheels. There are probably others
The item description says 26''/28''/700c - which is what most smart trainers do.

rivers

How far can I go?
Yes, he had a few rides, which is how I know he's actually keen. Unfortunately, even with all the parts adjusted to smallest possible person it's still too large. Also, the main idea here is to ride together so we need separate rigs.

The item description says 26''/28''/700c - which is what most smart trainers do.
I thought it said 24", my bad, sorry to waste your time.

OP
OP
Peter Salt

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Apologies for double posting, but I've found a workable setup and thought it's worth sharing, also edited the title so the topic should be more 'searchable'.

I've ended up with a Elite Qubo Power Fluid trainer. It's an entry-level wheel-on 'stupid' trainer. It has no roller pressure adjustment. Instead, the rider's weight presses the tyre into the roller. As it's just a basic trainer, I also got the Garmin speed and cadence sensors. Setting it all up was very simple, anyone could do it - the sensors just strap around the wheel hub and crank arm and are small enough to fit a kids bike. The trainer literally has one leaver which locks and unlocks the quick release skewer. That's it. On Zwift just spin the pedals a few times and the sensors will get detected, then select the wheel size that your child is using and the trainer that you got (in this case it's called 'Elite Fluid Red Roller' in the game options).

I believe there's an even simpler solution to this. There is an Elite Qubo Power Smart that looks to have exactly the same construction but with the 'smart' features already built in. I didn't get that one as I was buying second hand and there were no close enough.

I've checked my setup with wheels as small as 20'' and it all worked fine.

Top Bottom