Carbon repair - tubs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dhd.evans1

My front wheel (carbon tub) took a bit of a dink in a pothole a month or so ago. LBS recommends no more riding, so I've attempted to sell on.

I'm impatient and am currently riding my training bike which is clunky, heavy and utterly failed me yesterday on a sportive.

Now I'd like to explore carbon repair on the rim. Has anyone ever had this done, and if so was it effective? What was the cost like?

Attachments

• PXL_20240506_112536202.jpg
    PXL_20240506_112536202.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 35

Big John

Guru
If it was down to me I'd go about fixing it. That said, I wouldn't want anyone to go out and get themselves killed based on something I'd said so you have to make your own mind up. I've got a carbon bike (second frame, first one snapped at the chain stay) and I discovered a crack on the seat tube near where you tighten the seat post. I bought a repair kit off the net and patched it. That was ten years ago at least and I still ride it. I suppose it really depends on where the problem is and is it a 'critical' area. I'd say a wheel is pretty critical. If it was me I'd at least coat it with some resin to strengthen it up. It's unlikely to be pretty but it saves throwing it away and buying another. Trouble with carbon is you never can tell, eh? I'm a tight arse, by the way, so my judgement is often blurred by the cost of the alternative solutions.

OP
OP
dhd.evans1

dhd.evans1

If it was down to me I'd go about fixing it. That said, I wouldn't want anyone to go out and get themselves killed based on something I'd said so you have to make your own mind up. I've got a carbon bike (second frame, first one snapped at the chain stay) and I discovered a crack on the seat tube near where you tighten the seat post. I bought a repair kit off the net and patched it. That was ten years ago at least and I still ride it. I suppose it really depends on where the problem is and is it a 'critical' area. I'd say a wheel is pretty critical. If it was me I'd at least coat it with some resin to strengthen it up. It's unlikely to be pretty but it saves throwing it away and buying another. Trouble with carbon is you never can tell, eh? I'm a tight arse, by the way, so my judgement is often blurred by the cost of the alternative solutions.

I use the term 'pragmatic' and 'stoic' rather than tight arse :laugh: we are kindred spirits. Ideally a carbon repair place will be able to quote me, then i can consider it. A repair kit is my last resort, but then I am also a tight arse...

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
My front wheel (carbon tub) took a bit of a dink in a pothole a month or so ago. LBS recommends no more riding, so I've attempted to sell on.

Am I reading this correctly (I really hope not)! You damaged a carbon wheel. A professional(?) bike repairer recommended you don't continue to use the wheel, presumably for safety reasons, so you tried to sell the wheel to someone else?????

EVEN if you told them of the damage and that using the wheel was at their own risk I think you are morally on very thin ice selling it to a third party. IMO if you disagree with the shop/professional opinion then you are welcome to continue using the wheel yourself, but other than that I suggest you cut it up with a saw and throw it in the bin.

OP
OP
dhd.evans1

dhd.evans1

Am I reading this correctly (I really hope not)! You damaged a carbon wheel. A professional(?) bike repairer recommended you don't continue to use the wheel, presumably for safety reasons, so you tried to sell the wheel to someone else?????

EVEN if you told them of the damage and that using the wheel was at their own risk I think you are morally on very thin ice selling it to a third party. IMO if you disagree with the shop/professional opinion then you are welcome to continue using the wheel yourself, but other than that I suggest you cut it up with a saw and throw it in the bin.

Morally justified or not, i've made it very clear in my ad what the wheel is and the damage and the assessment thereafter. The rear wheel is sound, so if they want to purchase the set and only use that one that's for them to decide. Where else would you get a handbuilt carbon rear tub with brand new tub for £275? Not many places, i'd imagine.

Anyway, unless you've got a helpful opinion on repair thanks for your waffle.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
You could "repair" it by getting a new carbon rim laced onto it, Anything else is not worth the risk. Echo thoughts above if you really were attempting to sell on.

My carbon hoops came with an optional crash / pothole guarantee, so if that happens, i just send back for a new rim

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Morally justified or not, i've made it very clear in my ad what the wheel is and the damage and the assessment thereafter. The rear wheel is sound, so if they want to purchase the set and only use that one that's for them to decide. Where else would you get a handbuilt carbon rear tub with brand new tub for £275? Not many places, i'd imagine.

Anyway, unless you've got a helpful opinion on repair thanks for your waffle.

Nice that you care about your fellow cyclists so much. I hope any potential buyer recognises you for the unscrupulous hole that you are and steers well clear of any purchase from you. Good day.

davidphilips

Veteran
If a LBS recommends no more riding, then its not worth taking a chance with a repair that rim is scrap, either have a new rim fitted or buy a new wheel or wheelset.

As for selling it on, put a saw through the damaged rim then if some one wants to buy the used undamaged wheel and even the damaged and cut wheel for spares for the hub thats ok but never take a chance with your life or the life of another cyclist.

Perhaps keep a look out and see if you can pick up a front wheel on sale from an online bike shop or even Ebay know i tend to wear out back wheels far quicker that my fronts so unless its just myself should not be hard to find a front wheel at a good price
?

Ajax Bay

Guru
@I like Skol Think you are being unkind: I had a similar 'first take' but.
Mrs Evans is selling a wheelset, not just the damaged wheel. And I suggest that anyone buying these wheels - tub rims remember, with tubs stuck on - and reading the description of damage (as the OP shares "what the wheel is and the damage and the assessment thereafter") will know exactly the risk they are taking on.
The danger is that some other jerk can see a profit and sells it on without the OP's honesty / clear description of damage / assessment.
Having said that it sounds as if noone's interested.
I'm more interested in the "training bike which is clunky, heavy and utterly failed me yesterday on a sportive". Is this tool blaming? And I shudder to think what other riders on the sportive thought when they saw such a heavy, clunky "utterly failing" bike sharing the downhills with them.

OP
OP
dhd.evans1

dhd.evans1

@I like Skol Think you are being unkind: I had a similar 'first take' but.
Mrs Evans is selling a wheelset, not just the damaged wheel. And I suggest that anyone buying these wheels - tub rims remember, with tubs stuck on - and reading the description of damage (as the OP shares "what the wheel is and the damage and the assessment thereafter") will know exactly the risk they are taking on.
The danger is that some other jerk can see a profit and sells it on without the OP's honesty / clear description of damage / assessment.
Having said that it sounds as if noone's interested.
I'm more interested in the "training bike which is clunky, heavy and utterly failed me yesterday on a sportive". Is this tool blaming? And I shudder to think what other riders on the sportive thought when they saw such a heavy, clunky "utterly failing" bike sharing the downhills with them.

This is a more balanced view, thank you. I'm not out to hoodwink anyone and as such i'm only selling these through cycle groups and spaces with clear indication both written and visual of the issue.

My training bike, a second hand Boardman CX Team, wasn't indexing smoothly over the last week. I took it to task the day before to discover a kinked cable (replaced) and a right hand shifter not returning the cable correctly. I decided to ride and simply grit my teeth with indexing being less than ideal. Riding yesterday amongst the many expensive bikes my bike stood out for noise alone - 10-15mi in there was an audible creaking from the bike, then whine off the discs rubbing, then creaking and crunching in the rear hub. Things just started to come apart on me. Thankfully the first feed station had a mechanic who was able to adjust the mech which was experiencing cable stretch from the day before, i reset my brakes as best as possible to prevent rubbing but i think asking him to dissassemble and rebuild a hub was probably a bit of an ask...

Again, to add context, i know the route well and have put the miles in this year. The real mitigating factor was a bike that I lost confidence in - i don't think i could have given more of myself to the ride. I've only managed one ride on my good bike (incidentally when it picked up the pothole damage) and that was perhaps my best ride of the year.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
could you not have just swapped in the front wheel off the "duff" bike to the "best" bike or is the best bike rim brakes?

Top Bottom