chain quick links

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gasinayr

Über Member
just fitted new chain to my mountain bike, on testing found it was to long, T1ried undoing quick link to remove a link. Quick link would not open had to buy quick link pliers. Job Done

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Always a handy tool to have.

Big John

Guru
Did you buy the tool that opens AND closes a quick link or did you do what I did and buy the tool that only opens a quick link? I regret buying the tool I've got. I wish I'd bought the one that does both ☹️

C R

Guru
Did you buy the tool that opens AND closes a quick link or did you do what I did and buy the tool that only opens a quick link? I regret buying the tool I've got. I wish I'd bought the one that does both ☹️

I didn't realise they made open only tools. I suppose if you are careful the link closes just by pulling at the chain.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I didn't realise they made open only tools. I suppose if you are careful the link closes just by pulling at the chain.
There are two types aren't there? The ones which are open one end and the other which are closed and rely on pulling the two chain ends which click the posts into the two holes.

Screenshot_20240517-141025.png

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Why? I close them by standing on the pedal. Am I doing something wrong?
I have a tool that does both but find it much easier and quicker to lock by pushing the pedal too.

C R

Guru
I have a tool that does both but find it much easier and quicker to lock by pushing the pedal too.

It can be a bit fiddly to ensure that pins and plates remain engaged as you go to push the pedal, with the tool you hold the pins and plates in place as you squeeze to lock.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I used various brands of quick link for years, then bought a KMC chain with a link that would not close no matter how hard myself and a cyclist neighbour pulled it or stood on the pedals. The only replacement I could get that day was a Shimano, and after joining with the supplied pin I decided to stick with the brand and give up on quick links.

presta

Guru
The only tool I use is a piece of galvanised steel fencing wire bent into a hook. Once I hook the chain so that the split link lies in a loop of slack, it's easy to undo with my fingers. Same goes for reassembly. My chains are all SRAM, perhaps it's different for others. You're supposed not to reuse the links, but I always have, they some apart every time I take the chain off whilst I'm cleaning the bike.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I used various brands of quick link for years, then bought a KMC chain with a link that would not close no matter how hard myself and a cyclist neighbour pulled it or stood on the pedals. The only replacement I could get that day was a Shimano, and after joining with the supplied pin I decided to stick with the brand and give up on quick links.

Yet I was the other way round. Had a Simano pin that didn't hold. Wether I didn't fit it correctly or it was faulty I don't know. I swapped to KMC and have never had a problem

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Yet I was the other way round. Had a Simano pin that didn't hold. Wether I didn't fit it correctly or it was faulty I don't know. I swapped to KMC and have never had a problem

Same... I'm running multiple KMC chains without issue; waxing too so they've been to bits quite a few times.

Top Bottom