Have you ever had perfectly-adjusted derailleurs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I mean perfect: so good that each gear change is virtually silent, even the notoriously-noisy front large to middle/small chain ring switch.

I have that at the moment, and I'm still amazed I managed it. The gear changing is so smooth, and I'm oscillating between being excited at how good it is :hyper: and wondering how long it will last :rolleyes:.

screenman

Legendary Member
Only since I started checking hanger alignment as well as all the other tweaks.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Never. I can get the rear mech to function pretty well but the front one is always crap.

EDIT: If anybody has a bomb-proof YouTube tutorial of how to adjust a front triple mech, I would be really grateful if they posted it. The Shimano Techdocs literature is not very clear at all. Thanks.

Last edited:

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
As above, adjusting rears is a doddle, but the front is a major pain. I have the yaw FD from SRAM, but with a trimming lever. I'm not even sure if it's possible to make it silent in some gears - like 1 or 2 and 8 or 9, in the big or small ring I get some rubbing. The changes are great on the front, but there is noise when pushing.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
[QUOTE 3283538, member: 259"]It's one of those things that makes investing in a stand seem so right. It's downright impossible otherwise.[/QUOTE]
Stands help but they don't replicate what actually happens when you put the drive chain under load. Well, that's my excuse....

screenman

Legendary Member
Rear mech alignment is often the biggest problem, done one this week for a fellow cyclist, 14mm out the gears worked fine on the stand, not on the road.

compo

Veteran
My derailleurs are generally pretty good, front and back because I have a hatred of anything on the bike making a noise (except me going uphill).

Of course all this indexing and adjusting malarkey wasn't necessary in the good old days of friction shifters. Once you got used to them it is suprising how quickly and neatly you could shift gears.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Yep. Tiagra on my SCR2 - since I put a chainset on that matches the rest of the group, it's been flawless.

The bits box cobbler that's my tourer, we shall not speak of in this thread :smile:

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
My derailleurs are generally pretty good, front and back because I have a hatred of anything on the bike making a noise (except me going uphill).

Of course all this indexing and adjusting malarkey wasn't necessary in the good old days of friction shifters. Once you got used to them it is suprising how quickly and neatly you could shift gears.
Yes, I had a bike with down-tube mounted friction shifters once, an <unspecified number> of decades ago.

Top Bottom