resetting a front derailleur

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andy45zulu

Hi
im having problems setting up my front derailleur. i ave set the height and ngle. i have then gone into the small chain ring to reset limiter screw. the problem arises as i cannot shift into the big ring to reset the high limiter screw the cable is tight but there is no movement in the derailleur at all when i try to shift...thanks in advance

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello Andy and :welcome:

Unscrew the cable securing bolt to release the cable, then you can move the cage across by hand. If it doesn't have sufficient movement adjust the Hi-Lo screws until it does.
Should be plenty of videos on YouTube about this procedure. It's easier to watch than explain.

OP
OP
A

andy45zulu

Thanks for the reply lads....I think the problem is the cable....I'm also not very good mechanically so its tricky. I cannot understand why the cage will not move across at all to get the chain into the big ring...if I was to start from scratch can someone go through the sequence please....thank you

Cycleops

Legendary Member
As I said you first need to take the cable out of the equation. Moving the cage across by hand while adjusting the travel with Hi-Lo screws will give you your start point. When pushing the cage while turning the screw adjustment you will feel it moving towards the big ring. Then you can then attach the cable and begin the next stage in the process.

Last edited:

Erasmus

As Cycleops says. How far you screw in the low stop to get the mech over enough depends on the actual mech itself (e.g. Shimano 5800 and the like say line the outer plate of the mech up with and parallel to the big chain ring). Once you've done and attached the cable in this setting, you'll have to back the low stop off enough to allow the chain to clear the inner plate in the smallest fron chainring and the biggest rear sprocket (all with the lever in the low position).

Newer generation Shimano FDs have a tension adjuster in the mech itself. SRAM and Campag are different again.

If you let us know exactly what mech you are looking at we may be able to help better. Cheers, John.

Last edited:
Top Bottom