SKS mudguards width advice.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I am seriously considering fitting mudguards to my bike for the first time in over 20 years. Maybe it's because I am now in my late 30's and using a bike to commute that I don't find getting wet funny anymore?

Anyway, having heard numerous reports that the SKS Chromoplastics are the ones to have, I have hit a snag. I just want to mail order them and can't be bothered trawling around the shops to look at them. Which size should I go for?

My bike has 700x35C Schwalbe Road Cruisers and is unlikely to ever wear any rubber larger or chunkier as I have an MTB for that kind of thing. I have a choice of the (black of course) guards in 35mm or 45mm width. I like minimal and close tolerances so fancy the 35mm for a streamline look but is this going to cause problems with inadequate cover and rubbing? The 45mm will fit with no problem as there is sufficient room in the frame but will they look clumsy? I am confident the narrower size will catch the water spray from the tyre as I am sure the water is flung from the centre of the tread as the wheel revolves.

Finally, I have measured the width of the tyre to be exactly 35mm when inflated so how are the mudguards measured, is the 35mm guard 35mm in width or for a tyre upto 35mm?

Any advice glady received thanks

Steve

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Go with 45mm guards. Anything slimmer will result in you getting mucky. The 45mm look fine on my hybrid which has the same size tyres as your bike.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
+ 1 on the 45's
Here's SKS 35mm on my Hybrid fitted with 700C x 28 Marathons.Pants picture because i've just rushed it but you get the size idea !

DSCN6486.jpg

e-rider

crappy member
quite simply the 35mm mudguards will not fit with 35mm tyres

so you'd need to buy the 45mm option

According to SKS you should actually be buying their 50mm hybrid size but as you want them close, you should go with the 45mm version

the 35mm mudguards are for tyre sizes up to 28mm

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
quite simply the 35mm mudguards will not fit with 35mm tyres

so you'd need to buy the 45mm option

According to SKS you should actually be buying their 50mm hybrid size but as you want them close, you should go with the 45mm version

the 35mm mudguards are for tyre sizes up to 28mm

I went for the road version as opposed the Hybrid set,works well but they do fill up with snow around this time of year :biggrin:

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Lol, way to resurrect an old thread but ....

Just looking at replacing these guards. After 14 years, two bikes and multiple crashes they are starting to look a bit tired. Certainly still functional but I can afford some new ones because I reckon they have maybe 1-2 yrs max if I start to bodge them.

Will get the current equivalent as I certainly haven't been disappointed with the originals :laugh:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Lol, way to resurrect an old thread but ....

Just looking at replacing these guards. After 14 years, two bikes and multiple crashes they are starting to look a bit tired. Certainly still functional but I can afford some new ones because I reckon they have maybe 1-2 yrs max if I start to bodge them.

Will get the current equivalent as I certainly haven't been disappointed with the originals :laugh:

You were in your 30's then, now 50's :whistle:

Top Bottom