The plane enthusiasts thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
Not that you'd build a Spitfire in your shed...
Peter Arnold says 'hold my beer'.

Spitfire_Peter Arnold.jpg

classic33

Leg End Member
If anyone is interested there seems to be a B52 currently on a nice trip from Fairford out over the Baltic and has done a big loop around Kaliningrad

Wonder if Vlad has noticed??
This one?
1716907518205.png

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
They are a lot more complex than they seem!

Agreed, but if you can overhaul a car engine you could probably do a Merlin. The bits are bigger and there's more of them, but it's just a petrol engine. Now try dealing with four jets.
Control cables for the flight surfaces are easier than fly-by-wire systems.
And so on. It's not like building an Ikea bookcase, sure, but it's fundamentally doable.
Anyway, we're OT so I'll stop before I have to threadban myself.

Agreed, but if you can overhaul a car engine you could probably do a Merlin. The bits are bigger and there's more of them, but it's just a petrol engine. Now try dealing with four jets.
And so on. It's not like building an Ikea bookcase, sure, but it's fundamentally doable.

What I was referring to was the Hurricane airframe. " Not all of the fuselage tubes are the same dimensions making mass production hard". I was quoting from a book on the Hurricane. All of the tubes would then be bolted together using fishplates.

gbb

Legendary Member

Dad was airframes on Vulcans and as a kid, he took me inside one (decommissioned training airframe on a quiet airfield)
As I scanned inside, I asked...how on earth does everyone know how to fix it all ?
He talked about something like a 7 part bible...engines, avionics, airframes etc etc...everything is documented, tells you exactly what you need to do and how to do it.
I'd assume this '7 part bible'...would be a whole library of manuals and documents.

Top Bottom