The plane enthusiasts thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Punkawallah

Über Member
Aircraft headed (roughly) North. Sun would have been west'ish, afternoon's.
It's obviously relating to light, but I'm interested why, how ?
Not that it matters in the scheme of things, just idle curiosity

Now all we need is someone with an aircraft tracker to give us the height of the plane, find out the cloud height and we can go from there!

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Terrible news about the death of a spitfire pilot, and less importantly the loss of a very rare aircraft.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
i presume at some point these planes will have to be taken out of service. They cant go on for ever.
That will be a sad day.
Does anyone know how long they are projected to remain flying?
You can understand why the bigger planes like Vulcan and Concorde were grounded because it was too expensive to keep them airworthy. But that fate must await these WWII planes too at some point.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
That's a result of a combination of factors. The engine develops a massive amount of torque, which has to be counteracted by the pilot, so when that disappears almost instantaneously at low altitude, it calls for very fast reactions.

The Spit also glides like a brick, which doesn't help.

N.B. Those are general observations, I don't have any inside knowledge re this specific accident, so I'll be very interested to read the investigation report in due course.

Jameshow

Veteran
Screenshot_20240526-130801.png

Screenshot_20240526-130952.png

Anyone know what these planes are at Hawarden airport (airbus)

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
A whole bunch of former USSR military aircraft were imported via Liverpool Seaforth Docks around 30 years ago. Most have since been dispersed to other UK museums, but those in your photo remain at Hawarden.

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
i presume at some point these planes will have to be taken out of service. They cant go on for ever.
That will be a sad day.
Does anyone know how long they are projected to remain flying?
You can understand why the bigger planes like Vulcan and Concorde were grounded because it was too expensive to keep them airworthy. But that fate must await these WWII planes too at some point.

The BBMF website indicates that their mission is to keep aircraft in airworthy condition, no time limit is stated. The various museums at Hendon, Cosworth etc concern themselves with grounded aircraft.
It is a matter of great debate in museum and preservation circles whether “objects” should be kept operating to the point that large scale replacement is necessary, several types of aircraft have already been lost completely, others damaged or restored to the point where they are useless to future study.

Last edited:
Top Bottom