Admit your ignorance - things you've only just realised/learned

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've seen the aurora many times in Finland. Ranging from the humdrum "is that a cloud?" to the breathtakingly spectacular. To my mind the most important thing about them is movement. You just don't get that with a photo.

That's good to hear (for those of use that missed out on this week's show!).

If I HAD a bucket list - they are a terrible idea IMO - then seeing the Aurorae "properly" somewhere faaaaaaaar north (preferably Svaaaalbaaard with a polar bear!) would be on it.

Difficult to see in England due to light pollution

I believe this week's were an aberration in that respect, with the necessary conditions extending further south than is typical. I know (reliable!) people in quite urban parts of Oxon that saw them with the naked eye, albeit only as blurs or faint stripes in the sky. Mobile phones did seem to consistently produce stunning images in the same locations.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I believe this week's were an aberration in that respect, with the necessary conditions extending further south than is typical. I know (reliable!) people in quite urban parts of Oxon that saw them with the naked eye, albeit only as blurs or faint stripes in the sky. Mobile phones did seem to consistently produce stunning images in the same locations.

Yes, the recent display was easily visible even in urban locations. I have been tracking solar activity for a while now using a couple of apps. In the past the highest I had typically seen was in the range 100-200 nT (above 100 triggers a "red" aurora alert meaning likely to be visible under the right conditions). Last week I saw it over 1,400 nT.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
This was a good show. The bright light on the horizon is a ski slope. But the picture can't show how they were moving.
1715765957043.png

Last edited:

Gwylan

Veteran
A
The radiation in my office is remarkably low.
View attachment 731102

H! But who calibrated things and when?

Top Bottom