Best thing to clean rims

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
My braking perfomance isn't great, and I thought it might help if I cleaned the rims a bit.

I've read that Surgical Spirit is the nest thing to use, but all they had in my local supermarket was some sort of surgical spirit / eucalyptus oil hybrid, which obviously would be no good for a braking surface.

Are there any other recommened products, or do I just need to get to a proper chemist? When you watch those 'Your house is filthy you weirdo' type prgrams they clean everything with with either vinegar or bicarbonate of soda. Would either of those work well on aluminium?

Bodhbh

Guru
I use meths. It's good for cleaning rims too.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I've always used meths. Unlike acids or alkalis or stuff containing salt it won't hurt the alloy, and since meths isn't oily, shouldn't leave.a film.

Fubar

Guru
My braking perfomance isn't great, and I thought it might help if I cleaned the rims a bit.

I've read that Surgical Spirit is the nest thing to use, but all they had in my local supermarket was some sort of surgical spirit / eucalyptus oil hybrid, which obviously would be no good for a braking surface.

Are there any other recommened products, or do I just need to get to a proper chemist? When you watch those 'Your house is filthy you weirdo' type prgrams they clean everything with with either vinegar or bicarbonate of soda. Would either of those work well on aluminium?

Going round the rims with wipes (baby, kitchen, etc) after each ride in the winter helps to keep your wheels in good condition and should lessen wear on the brakes - give the brakes a good going over as well, preferably with the wheels off. Good opportunity to check the tyres for foreign objects too.

e-rider

crappy member
meths is best

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Yep another vote for the occasional wipe down with meths too- try not to get it on the tyres though, don't think it does it much good.

Soap and water and steel wool. Also remove all the embedded aluminium in your brake blocks This will show up as white or shiny spots if you use a torch to illuminate that area.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
Isopropyl alcohol is a lot better and less minging than meths or white spirit.
I used to buy that in Boots to clean cassette heads and capstan rollers. I thought chemists weren't allowed to sell it now though?

Top Bottom