Car D.I.Y.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Latest was after fetching Eric the Beetle, working out why the headlights didn't work properly, found the offside headlight lense had been put in upside down, the nearside didn't work as it had melted the wiring, new lengths of wire ordered along with sleeving & heatshrink, but as I'm away this week it won't get done until this weekend. Also has Eric has a big flatspot on acceleration & research found the 009 distributor he's fitted with is a fast race go faster type as preferred by the boy racers. I've bought a 034 electronic which will also be going in.

On another note the buggy in the avatar has been sold & I've just agreed to buy a GTM K3, another kitcar

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Next job for me is new brakes on the Volvo. It's too big to go in the garage, and sitting outside and using it so little the discs corrode right quick.

The new discs have arrived, all 24kg of them, and I went for the Lockheed Delphi jobs with the zinc powder coat finish that should hopefully slow the edges from turning into a puff pastry.

I may repaint the calipers while I'm in there, but either silver or black. No chavvy red or blue, etc.

Gunk

Guru
I don’t service the cars these days, but still do my motorcycle myself, next job on my Fireblade is a full service including changing the plugs (pig of a job) and changing the rear brake pads. I’ll tackle it when the weather improves as I prefer to do it out on the drive where there’s more room.

I don't drive a car anymore, I have a mobile computer.

I used to do all the work on my cars but as I've earned more money and got more feeble I pay others to do it. My days of lying on my back under a car are long gone.

I top up the windscreen washer reservoir and the tyre pressures, nothing else has needed doing for many years.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I drive mainly old tired cars because they're super cheap and forgetful. Frankly, i went down the route of buying brand new cars years ago only for some filthy oafs to slam car doors against it in car parks and cause damage. In the end i stopped it, brought old knackers and suddenly i no longer cared and stopped noticing and considered cars an A to B only thing and not some love affair as promised on the sales brochures :rolleyes:. If it isn't cheap, old and widely considered cack by the general public, i will walk away from it. Learned how to fix cars from my retired mechanic dad, who has given me thousands worth in tools over the years and rarely use a pro mechanic for anything. That being said, i would happily walk away from cars altogether one day. The older ive got the less interested i am in them. Don't really know why...🤔 I think i am bitten by the cycling bug...

screenman

Legendary Member
Reserved an 8 month old Suzuki S Cross for viewing tomorrow. Put the original steel wheels back on the Seat tonight ready to take it to wbac.com

Not an Ibiza with a dsg box is it, way better buyers around that will give you more than wbac.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I don't drive a car anymore, I have a mobile computer.

I used to do all the work on my cars but as I've earned more money and got more feeble I pay others to do it. My days of lying on my back under a car are long gone.

I top up the windscreen washer reservoir and the tyre pressures, nothing else has needed doing for many years.
I must admit, I'm getting disinclined to do it myself as I get older, but I'm even more aggrieved at the thought of giving money to people for something I can do myself. When all is said and done though, this'll be my last car - when it finally expires that'll be the end of my driving days.

As for computers, I use a Chinese knock off of Volvo Vida and DICE, so can read and clear all codes, not just engine ones, configure new parts, alter base settings, all sorts of interesting stuff. I guess it's the modern equivalent of a hammer.

Top Bottom