Carrera TDF Or Vitruoso

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Xiorell

Über Member
Both these biks are now the same price, the Virtuoso having been the higher priced one, but to me it looks like the TDF Limited Edition has a better spec? (full shimano drive, the Virt' having Prowheel chainset)

bobones

Veteran
Not much in it really. If one had a compact chainset I'd go for that but I think they're standard chainsets. You should also consider the B-Twin Triban 3 from Decathlon. It's also £299 but has a triple chainset and a carbon fork.

This code will get you an extra £30 off the Halfords bikes at their website: NUSJUN11 or PPBIKE

colinr

Bike Radar recently (favourably) reviewed the TDF. They're both good for the money, though I think bobones might be onto something with the B-Twin, never hear a bad word about their stuff.

Adasta

I thought there was only about 1/2 a Kilogram in it? Surely that wouldn't make much odds to the average joe?

It sounds like you've already made your decision.

asturel131

Bike Radar recently (favourably) reviewed the TDF. They're both good for the money, though I think bobones might be onto something with the B-Twin, never hear a bad word about their stuff.

Bike Radar gave a much better review for the Virtuoso. Gotta say, I'm rather tempted myself as I am looking to buy my first Road bike (been riding a MTB for about a year) and from what I have read the Carrera are a great introduction to Road bikes and finances are currently quite dire so the Defy 3 I have been thinking of getting is probably out of the question. I know the Virtuoso has just been dropped to £299 but not sure how long that will last. My only concern is buying from Halfords after all the negative things I have read about them.Only ever read good things about the Carrera bike though.

OP
OP
X

Xiorell

Über Member
It sounds like you've already made your decision.

Nope, genuine question about the weight, I thought it was just half a kg in it but then I may have got it wrong, could be half a tonne for all I know.

I'm looking at getting a considerabley higher spec bike all together, but, these bikes did get me interested when I first saw them, they looked alright for the cash, and I am making a "Plan B" in the event I can not longer justify* dropping good money on a fancy-pants bike :smile:

*IE, just had to shell 180quid out on vets bills that I didn't expect :sad:

OP
OP
X

Xiorell

Über Member
My only concern is buying from Halfords after all the negative things I have read about them.Only ever read good things about the Carrera bike though.

Just put it together yourself, that's what I would do if I brought from Halfords after having built my mtb. That's more to do with impatience though, the guys in my local store could be the greatest mechanics in the world but, I couldn't wait 4+ days to ride a bike after shelling out money on it, knowing it was only a mile down the road.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Here we go ..

My review was based on the bikes i had and there was a difference, the new TDF is about the same weight by the look but has a 52/38 chainring rather than a 50/34 that the virtuoso has.
This means that hills will be more of a slog given that neither bike is light weight and i doubt you will need a 52x12 if your spinning at 90 rpm, i get 22 mph on the flat as commuting speed on 50x 17,topped out at 40 mph down a hill on 50 x 12.

I would suggest that you try both bikes for fit , even if they are the same "size" one maybe have a slightly different geometry so see which one fits the best.

asturel131

Xiorell, I hear ya mate, I built my own MTB which I bought online a little over a year ago and it wasn't too much hassle to fit the handle bars, pedals and front wheel myself and I'm assuming that the halfords bike will just be the same.

Cyberknight, cheers for the info on the bikes. It probably would be best to go in and check them out for fit etc

colinr

Bike Radar gave a much better review for the Virtuoso.

I found that but it was a couple of years old, didn't Bike Radar shift their scoring policy earlier this year so that things tend to score a bit lower and 4.5+ is saved for the really special things?

Either way, I know someone with a Virtuoso and it's a nice bike, seems to be the more popular choice.

Top Bottom