Cyclist escapes prosecution after fatal collision with pensioner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
52mph in a 20mph zone: How cyclists are turning UK roads into death traps
Competitive users of apps such as Strava are racing for their personal bests – and putting other road users at serious risk of injury
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...rava-cyclists-turn-uk-roads-into-death-traps/

STRAVA

Tite St to Chelsea Bridge​

Ride Segment London, England, United Kingdom
  • Distance0.63km
  • Elevation Gain5m
  • Avg Grade-0.3%
  • Lowest Elev4m
  • Highest Elev9m
  • Elev Difference5m

RankNameSpeedPowerTime
1Noa F73.2 km/h-31s
2Shaiful A. I. M.70.9 km/h101 W32s
3Emdad R68.7 km/h191 W33s
4Iñaki Leunda66.7 km/h-34s
4Danilo K66.7 km/h-34s
6Rutger Wouters64.8 km/h-35s
7Majo Mesko63.0 km/h203 W Power Meter36s
7Frank Schuff63.0 km/h160 W Power Meter36s
7Thierry Lecat63.0 km/h223 W Power Meter36s
7Carlos Garza Snydelaar63.0 km/h152 W Power Meter36s
7Nik Vidovič🇸🇮63.0 km/h139 W Power Meter36s
7Jesse Wierenga63.0 km/h93 W36s
7АНДРЕЙ Z63.0 km/h-36s
7Giulio Ravoni63.0 km/h-36s

Fake data, not a chance it’s real. Digital doping.

classic33

Leg End Member
Fake data, not a chance it’s real. Digital doping.
Convince the wider public of that, not us.

Again we're headed off-topic so I'll leave it there.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
52mph in a 20mph zone: How cyclists are turning UK roads into death traps
Competitive users of apps such as Strava are racing for their personal bests – and putting other road users at serious risk of injury
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...rava-cyclists-turn-uk-roads-into-death-traps/

STRAVA

Tite St to Chelsea Bridge​

Ride Segment London, England, United Kingdom
  • Distance0.63km
  • Elevation Gain5m
  • Avg Grade-0.3%
  • Lowest Elev4m
  • Highest Elev9m
  • Elev Difference5m

RankNameSpeedPowerTime
1Noa F73.2 km/h-31s
2Shaiful A. I. M.70.9 km/h101 W32s
3Emdad R68.7 km/h191 W33s
4Iñaki Leunda66.7 km/h-34s
4Danilo K66.7 km/h-34s
6Rutger Wouters64.8 km/h-35s
7Majo Mesko63.0 km/h203 W Power Meter36s
7Frank Schuff63.0 km/h160 W Power Meter36s
7Thierry Lecat63.0 km/h223 W Power Meter36s
7Carlos Garza Snydelaar63.0 km/h152 W Power Meter36s
7Nik Vidovič🇸🇮63.0 km/h139 W Power Meter36s
7Jesse Wierenga63.0 km/h93 W36s
7АНДРЕЙ Z63.0 km/h-36s
7Giulio Ravoni63.0 km/h-36s

In fact just looked, and there is no such Strava segment. Shock news, made up by the rag.

OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member
In fact just looked, and there is no such Strava segment. Shock news, made up by the rag.

1715932994274.png

https://www.strava.com/segments/13106975

Can we summarise this and move on.

If I understand the case is a cycling club on an early morning club training ride were proceeding down a public road circling a London park at 29mph I a zone that has a speed limit of 20mph, but that does not apply to cyclists. The club were I close order like a pro racing team and a pensioner stepped out into the road from a bus shelter was it? This resulted in first two riders to move out of the way but the third cy list hit her. Resulting injuries meant a long spell in hospital where she died. Due to the way these things are recorded it was not recorded that her death was due to the accident. This removes a few potential charges against the cyclist and as a result he was not charged or prosecuted. The result of this set of events, which happened quite some time ago, is a public outcry and a degree of bile being spilt about cyclists. Not to mention talk of legislation to stop these things happening that will do very little if anything. Meanwhile usual media outlets and personalities are spouting bile against cyclists. Ignorant talking heads rant about the archaic laws against the cyclistsn on current affairs programmes while moderate and sensible voices are overwhelmed or ignored. All the while cyclists are not made safer and neither are pedestrians. Both are still getting killed or seriously injured and nothing will change. Oh and all the while cyclists argue about power ratings and argue that there is nothing to be seen here! Or in other words cyclists do not wrong because they are too low weight to cause harm and besides motorists do worse.

Phew! Have I missed anything?

Is it not just a case that nothing had happened here, nothing to see, nothing to change, everything is OK? Carry on as normal?

No mention that I've seen that she stepped out from a concealed location, bus shelter or otherwise.

I thought I read it on here, forgive me if that was wrong or where I read it was incorrect.

But is the rest a fair summary?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
personally I would think that riding on a shared cycleway at 40 at any time is idiotic and irresponsible and part of the reason why the general public seem to be against cyclists in general - if we as a whole want to be accepted on roads , cycle paths etc then we should show a modicum of common sense , if you want to travel at high speed then use a road !just my opinion
To be clear, it's almost always going to be a daft thing to do, but just rarely, it wouldn't be that irresponsible. The point was, it's not being shared use that makes it idiotic. It's how busy a route is and the sightlines and things like that which determines what speeds are safe, not the legal status. In theory, motor speed limits are set based on such considerations (see your county council's speed management policy), but I'm sure we all know examples in practice where the limits are out of date or just bizarre (40mph through my village with a crash-prone staggered crossroads, blind bends and narrow river bridge, for example, or a road two villages over where the limit lifts from 30 to 60 as the tarmac ends and gravel starts).

As for "if you want to travel at high speed then use a road", that seems a bad generalisation because the two example sections of cycleway are far better suited for high speeds (better surface, better visibility, fewer junctions, few permitted motor vehicles) than most nearby roads.

I have just come back from majorca and the arrogance shown by some cyclists was unbelievable , one shouting and moaning at others coming up the mountain because he was coming down and wanted to use the wrong side of the road to corner rather than slow down , regardless of other road users . I can only put it down to Audi and bmw drivers have now taken to the roads on bikes
and that wasn't a pop at majorca as I think its the best place ive ever been for cycling and the car/coach drivers must have the patience of saints
Totally out of order, shouting at people riding uphill as you descend. It always used to be that downhill gave way to uphill because those climbing might not be able to restart if they stop (whether cyclist or motorist). I'm not sure if that was written anywhere, or just a widespread rule of thumb like "power gives way to sail",

It's not new, daffodils taking to the roads on bikes. There are daffodil drivers, daffodil riders, daffodil runners, daffodil dog walkers and more. They don't stop being daffodils just because they change mode of travel. They're probably daffodils while on a bus or train, too, but they've not got controls then (we hope, if driver training is working!). However, one daffodil activity kills many more than the others and that's not the one getting the attention just now. I wonder why?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Don't know why it didn’t come up on Strava’s heat map. You don’t seriously believe those speeds are real do you? They are the kind of sprint speeds of Mark Cavendish…

According to strava, I've apparently done the length of London wall at 33mph on my Brompton, which i find extremely unlikely and crossed few blocks near Liverpool street at 46mph - definitely at load of bollox?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
According to strava, I've apparently done the length of London wall at 33mph on my Brompton, which i find extremely unlikely and crossed few blocks near Liverpool street at 46mph - definitely at load of bollox?

I'm kind of surprised by that. I've had weird things where I suddenly teleport a long way away and then jump back, but I've never had a situation where my track has followed a road but my speed is wrong. But maybe I just have a better GPS than you ^_^

That said, if you look at the rides on which the high speeds were recorded they all seem to follow a pattern of a rider going quite briskly through a load of segments (say 30-odd kmh) and suddenly hitting a mega 60+km/h on that one segment. Riders with power meters don't show exceptional increase in power.

Here's one example. The rider went through four segments of roughly comparable length (400-800m) and gradient (0.1 to 0.6% downhill) and comparable power (218-232W) at consistent speed (36km/h) but the Tite St segment was nearly twice as fast.

1715942565400.png

It's a bit weird.

Here's another
1715943253902.png

And another (no increase in HR either. And bizarrely low power. Maybe a crap PM)
1715943356895.png

And this guy/gal wound up the power to a mighty 101W Should be a pro with figures like that
1715943593620.png

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'm kind of surprised by that. I've had weird things where I suddenly teleport a long way away and then jump back, but I've never had a situation where my track has followed a road but my speed is wrong. But maybe I just have a better GPS than you ^_^
If I'm thinking of the correct road, London Wall is a straightish tunnel, isn't it? That could trick a GPS. Edit to add: I was thinking of Beech Street, parallel, which has a longer tunnel. London Wall has a tunnel but it's short but maybe it's still enough to lose a GPS lock and take a while to regain it among the tall buildings?

That said, if you look at the rides on which the high speeds were recorded they all seem to follow a pattern of a rider going quite briskly through a load of segments (say 30-odd kmh) and suddenly hitting a mega 60+km/h on that one segment. Riders with power meters don't show exceptional increase in power.

Here's one example. The rider went through four segments of roughly comparable length (400-800m) and gradient (0.1 to 0.6% downhill) and comparable power (218-232W) at consistent speed (36km/h) but the Tite St segment was nearly twice as fast.

View attachment 731170

It's a bit weird.
What's that previous segment for all the riders you posted, named "Chelsea Embankment: RH to CB"? I suspect "RH to CB" is "Royal Hospital (Road) to Chelsea Bridge", which seems like it would include the junction with Tite St, while the Tite St segment is also "to Chelsea Bridge". Could the riders be misrecorded for overlapping segments or something like that?

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Yes there's definitely something very fishy/odd here. All but 2 of the Rides in the top 10 on that segment follow exactly the same 24.7 km route starting on the Mall and finishing at Trafalgar Square. Is it some kind of 25km event?
1715944714827.png

Are these real, in the flesh rides or some kind of Zwifty thing maybe.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom