How to remove the folding pedal from a 2020 Ti Brompton. Please ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I remember it as the spanner or hex is turned towards the rear of the bike on both sides.
Try to find a tube for leverage.

OP
OP
Jon George

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
I'm assuming we are clear here on differences of left and right unscrewing of pedals? Just in case? I'm getting old... I get it wrong (Not to self... write it down)

Yep I'm on point with this. I'm heading down the route of finding some strong tubing.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Try to get the pedal onto something solid like a brick or your energy will be absorbed by the tyres especially if you're going to give the hex a bash with a hammer.

OP
OP
Jon George

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Try to get the pedal onto something solid like a brick or your energy will be absorbed by the tyres especially if you're going to give the hex a bash with a hammer.

This ^^^ I understand!
There will be an update during next week. :smile:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I remember it as the spanner or hex is turned towards the rear of the bike on both sides.
Try to find a tube for leverage.
I bodged this for one job and was amazed when it worked!

Spanner extension.jpg

Woldy

I bodged this for one job and was amazed when it worked!

View attachment 720819

Where I'm from, there's a term for adjustables - but it's probably not the place to be using it! Especially as I've just joined! Well done for it working though. I use the top tube of an old bike frame - slots over the ring end of my 15mm but wont quite go over the open end so its ideal!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Where I'm from, there's a term for adjustables - but it's probably not the place to be using it! Especially as I've just joined! Well done for it working though. I use the top tube of an old bike frame - slots over the ring end of my 15mm but wont quite go over the open end so its ideal!
It was when working on my spare bike down in Devon. I don't have my tools there so I had to scrounge even the adjustable spanner!

I might treat myself to a simple toolkit to leave there***. I go down about 5 times a year so it would probably be justified.

*** I travel there and back by bus and train so I don’t want to be carting heavy tools with me every time!

mitchibob

Über Member

I think I know what you're talking about on adjustables, but at the same time, while building a tool-kit on a budget, they have their place. Once you have requirement to switch pedals a bit more, getting a decent pedal spanner becomes sensible. Adjustables are definitely not ideal, but have a place as long as you understand the risks, use carefully.

I've eventually got myself small, half-decent pedal spanner, although, it's quite small shaft, but fine for switching pedals on bikes I have.

I like the idea of recycled top-tube as additional lever... just wondered what happened to the poor donor of that top tube.

Big "If" I was getting T-line, I'd be getting them to switch the pedals to some of those new Favero SPD pedals before I rode it away, anyway.

Top Bottom