La Boheme

Shoud Mrs AFO and i go to La Boheme by Opera North?

• No, you wont know whats going on, it'll be crap.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Yes, but buy the cheapest tickets (£10)

• Yes, but buy the best tickets (£50 ish)

• Do something else.

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyfromotley

In a somewhat distresing development Mrs AFO and i are making an effort to spend more time together.

So we have been on walks,
eaten out together (for no other reason than the pleasure of each others company!)
We're off to see Paloma Faith
etc etc

So we discover that Opera North are doing La Boheme in leeds. 'Should we go?' enquires Mrs AFO. I was completely stumped. Dont know if we should go, dony know if i want to go. Dont know anything about opera, doubt if i know anyone who has been to one.

Whilst i appreciate its not life and death i would welcome your vews.

Andy

OP
OP
andyfromotley

andyfromotley

In a somewhat distresing development Mrs AFO and i are making an effort to spend more time together.

So we have been on walks,
eaten out together (for no other reason than the pleasure of each others company!)
We're off to see Paloma Faith
etc etc

So we discover that Opera North are doing La Boheme in leeds. 'Should we go?' enquires Mrs AFO. I was completely stumped. Dont know if we should go, dony know if i want to go. Dont know anything about opera, doubt if i know anyone who has been to one.

Andy

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
andyfromotley said:

Andy

Actually, most Opera is about life and death!

Yes, go and buy the good tickets. Enjoy the experience! Puccini is as easy a starting point for Opera as you can get. Live orchestra, chorus, soloists and a bit of over-blown prancing around on stage. What's not to like! Everybody should do Opera once!

Synopsis

La Bohème
Composer: Giacomo Puccini

ACT I. Paris, Christmas Eve, c. 1830. In their Latin Quarter garret, the painter Marcello and poet Rodolfo try to keep warm by burning pages from Rodolfo's latest drama. They are joined by their comrades — Colline, a young philosopher, and Schaunard, a musician who has landed a job and brings food, fuel and funds. But while they celebrate their unexpected fortune, the landlord, Benoit, arrives to collect the rent. Plying the older man with wine, they urge him to tell of his flirtations, then throw him out in mock indignation. As the friends depart for a celebration at the nearby Café Momus, Rodolfo promises to join them soon, staying behind to finish writing an article. There is another knock: a neighbor, Mimì, says her candle has gone out on the drafty stairs. Offering her wine when she feels faint, Rodolfo relights her candle and helps her to the door. Mimì realizes she has dropped her key, and as the two search for it, both candles are blown out. In the moonlight the poet takes the girl's shivering hand, telling her his dreams. She then recounts her solitary life, embroidering flowers and waiting for spring. Drawn to each other, Mimì and Rodolfo leave for the café.

ACT II. Amid shouts of street hawkers, Rodolfo buys Mimì a bonnet near the Café Momus before introducing her to his friends. They all sit down and order supper. A toy vendor, Parpignol, passes by, besieged by children. Marcello's former lover, Musetta, enters ostentatiously on the arm of the elderly, wealthy Alcindoro. Trying to regain the painter's attention, she sings a waltz about her popularity. Complaining that her shoe pinches, Musetta sends Alcindoro to fetch a new pair, then falls into Marcello's arms. Joining a group of marching soldiers, the Bohemians leave Alcindoro to face the bill when he returns.

ACT III. At dawn on the snowy outskirts of Paris, a Customs Officer admits farm women to the city. Musetta and revelers are heard inside a tavern. Soon Mimì walks by, searching for the place where the reunited Marcello and Musetta now live. When the painter emerges, she pours out her distress over Rodolfo's incessant jealousy. It is best they part, she says. Rodolfo, who has been asleep in the tavern, is heard, and Mimì hides; Marcello thinks she has left. The poet tells Marcello he wants to separate from his fickle sweetheart. Pressed further, he breaks down, saying Mimì is dying; her ill health can only worsen in the poverty they share. Overcome, Mimì stumbles forward to bid her lover farewell as Marcello runs back into the tavern to investigate Musetta's raucous laughter. While Mimì and Rodolfo recall their happiness, Musetta quarrels with Marcello. The painter and his mistress part in fury, but Mimì and Rodolfo decide to stay together until spring.

ACT IV. Some months later, Rodolfo and Marcello lament their loneliness in the garret. Colline and Schaunard bring a meager meal. The four stage a dance, which turns into a mock fight. The merrymaking is ended when Musetta bursts in, saying Mimì is downstairs, too weak to climb up. As Rodolfo runs to her, Musetta tells how Mimì has begged to be taken to her lover to die. While Mimì is made comfortable, Marcello goes with Musetta to sell her earrings for medicine, and Colline leaves to pawn his cherished overcoat. Alone, Mimì and Rodolfo recall their first days together, but she is seized with coughing. When the others return, Musetta gives Mimì a muff to warm her hands and prays for her life. Mimì dies quietly, and when Schaunard discovers she is dead, Rodolfo runs to her side, calling her name.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
andyfromotley said:

Andy

Actually, most Opera is about life and death!

Yes, go and buy the good tickets. Enjoy the experience! Puccini is as easy a starting point for Opera as you can get. Live orchestra, chorus, soloists and a bit of over-blown prancing around on stage. What's not to like! Everybody should do Opera once!

Synopsis

La Bohème
Composer: Giacomo Puccini

ACT I. Paris, Christmas Eve, c. 1830. In their Latin Quarter garret, the painter Marcello and poet Rodolfo try to keep warm by burning pages from Rodolfo's latest drama. They are joined by their comrades — Colline, a young philosopher, and Schaunard, a musician who has landed a job and brings food, fuel and funds. But while they celebrate their unexpected fortune, the landlord, Benoit, arrives to collect the rent. Plying the older man with wine, they urge him to tell of his flirtations, then throw him out in mock indignation. As the friends depart for a celebration at the nearby Café Momus, Rodolfo promises to join them soon, staying behind to finish writing an article. There is another knock: a neighbor, Mimì, says her candle has gone out on the drafty stairs. Offering her wine when she feels faint, Rodolfo relights her candle and helps her to the door. Mimì realizes she has dropped her key, and as the two search for it, both candles are blown out. In the moonlight the poet takes the girl's shivering hand, telling her his dreams. She then recounts her solitary life, embroidering flowers and waiting for spring. Drawn to each other, Mimì and Rodolfo leave for the café.

ACT II. Amid shouts of street hawkers, Rodolfo buys Mimì a bonnet near the Café Momus before introducing her to his friends. They all sit down and order supper. A toy vendor, Parpignol, passes by, besieged by children. Marcello's former lover, Musetta, enters ostentatiously on the arm of the elderly, wealthy Alcindoro. Trying to regain the painter's attention, she sings a waltz about her popularity. Complaining that her shoe pinches, Musetta sends Alcindoro to fetch a new pair, then falls into Marcello's arms. Joining a group of marching soldiers, the Bohemians leave Alcindoro to face the bill when he returns.

ACT III. At dawn on the snowy outskirts of Paris, a Customs Officer admits farm women to the city. Musetta and revelers are heard inside a tavern. Soon Mimì walks by, searching for the place where the reunited Marcello and Musetta now live. When the painter emerges, she pours out her distress over Rodolfo's incessant jealousy. It is best they part, she says. Rodolfo, who has been asleep in the tavern, is heard, and Mimì hides; Marcello thinks she has left. The poet tells Marcello he wants to separate from his fickle sweetheart. Pressed further, he breaks down, saying Mimì is dying; her ill health can only worsen in the poverty they share. Overcome, Mimì stumbles forward to bid her lover farewell as Marcello runs back into the tavern to investigate Musetta's raucous laughter. While Mimì and Rodolfo recall their happiness, Musetta quarrels with Marcello. The painter and his mistress part in fury, but Mimì and Rodolfo decide to stay together until spring.

ACT IV. Some months later, Rodolfo and Marcello lament their loneliness in the garret. Colline and Schaunard bring a meager meal. The four stage a dance, which turns into a mock fight. The merrymaking is ended when Musetta bursts in, saying Mimì is downstairs, too weak to climb up. As Rodolfo runs to her, Musetta tells how Mimì has begged to be taken to her lover to die. While Mimì is made comfortable, Marcello goes with Musetta to sell her earrings for medicine, and Colline leaves to pawn his cherished overcoat. Alone, Mimì and Rodolfo recall their first days together, but she is seized with coughing. When the others return, Musetta gives Mimì a muff to warm her hands and prays for her life. Mimì dies quietly, and when Schaunard discovers she is dead, Rodolfo runs to her side, calling her name.

Noodley

Not sure if this'l help as it's not specific to opera, but a similar thing happened with me and Mrs Noodley a few years ago when she said she wanted to go to a ballet....I reckoned it'd be a couple of hours I could spend sleeping or at least manage to have prolonged visits to the bar :evil:

But I loved it, and have been a fan of live ballet since :evil:

Noodley

Not sure if this'l help as it's not specific to opera, but a similar thing happened with me and Mrs Noodley a few years ago when she said she wanted to go to a ballet....I reckoned it'd be a couple of hours I could spend sleeping or at least manage to have prolonged visits to the bar :biggrin:

But I loved it, and have been a fan of live ballet since :becool:

Noodley

Fab Foodie said:

You've just spoiled the plot....:evil:

Crankarm

Guru
Noodley said:
Not sure if this'l help as it's not specific to opera, but a similar thing happened with me and Mrs Noodley a few years ago when she said she wanted to go to a ballet....I reckoned it'd be a couple of hours I could spend sleeping or at least manage to have prolonged visits to the bar :evil:

But I loved it, and have been a fan of live ballet since :evil:

Is there any other type of ballet :evil:? Which ballet was it and were the lead bloke without trousers and ballerina any good?

Crankarm

Guru
Noodley said:
Not sure if this'l help as it's not specific to opera, but a similar thing happened with me and Mrs Noodley a few years ago when she said she wanted to go to a ballet....I reckoned it'd be a couple of hours I could spend sleeping or at least manage to have prolonged visits to the bar :biggrin:

But I loved it, and have been a fan of live ballet since :becool:

Is there any other type of ballet :angry:? Which ballet was it and were the lead bloke without trousers and ballerina any good?

Noodley

Crankarm said:
Which ballet was it and were the lead bloke without trousers and ballerina any good?

The first ballet I went to was Giselle performed by Northern Ballet Theatre and it was excellent.

I would go as far as saying it was stunning.

It's always better with a live orchestra - and for Crankers' benefit the alternative to being live is recorded music played through speakers :evil:

Top Bottom