Mavic Kysyrium Rear Wheel Issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Edge705

I am getting a screeching sound from my rear wheel when freewheeling unfortunately it is not consistent For example I would need to be freewheeling at speeds of 24/25mph+ before the screeching kicks in. I would also say its more prominent when in a higher gear say 50/14

The wheel is pretty true very very little side to side play and no up or down movement at all. None of the spokes are loose or appear less tensioned than others

I’m kinda thinking this might be something to do with the free hub would I be correct? if so, what exactly is the issue so that I can order the new parts

Many thanks in advance

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Sounds like the freehub. Parts are tricky for Mavic wheels (doesn't stop me owning them). I would have a go at removing the freehub, or as a minimum drop some oil down the freehub/hub gap.

Here is a video

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWaMPG8HDYs

OP
OP
Edge705

Edge705

Thats good Fossy I'll strip it dowm at the weekend and take a look Just wanna do something about it before it gets worse - 1st bit of bother with the wheel in 6 years cheers

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I am getting a screeching sound from my rear wheel when freewheeling

I have some experience of this screeching with one of my Crossmax rear wheels. Having done some research on it, the theory I subscribe to is that the noise is caused by harmonics resulting from some wear in the white nylon bushing within the rear hub. The cure is neither expensive nor difficult. Just strip and clean may work, else the replacement of the nylon bushing or replacing that bushing with sealed bearings. Incidentally you must not use the wrong oil or too much oil on these hubs. This might help, so is the associated video on youtube. Let me know if you need more info.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
^^The well known 'Mavic scream of death'. Google it. The white nylon bushing is blamed. I have had the same with Aksiums - normally happens after the (summer) bike has been out of use for some months over the winter, and the wheel has remained in more or less one position - allowing lube to drain from the freehub (my theory). As yet I have solved (?) the problem by injecting (very) low viscosity mineral oil into the freehub, and I try to remember to rotate the wheels regularly while the bike is out of use.

It's usually a clean to the white bushing.

If the bushing is wearing out there will be play in the freehub. You can buy a new bushing from the States or get a whole new freehub off ebay for around £25.

OP
OP
Edge705

Edge705

Hi Guys thanks for the input I watched the freehub replacement vid and he mentioned using mineral oil on the wheel hub prior to fitting the freehub - I did some research and would I be ok with normal brake or hydraulic fluid from the local motor factors?

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
The alternative to the official Mavic oil was (no longer available) Pedros Road Rage, apparently. There is lots of discussion on the www. Magura Royal Blood and Shimano Mineral oil as well as sewing machine oil are often suggested. I use a very thin model railway oil (Daywat). It appears the main requirement is that it is a pure mineral oil.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
As others have said use a light oil, I once tried a very slight smear of light grease, but even this simply resulted in chain suck when I tried to freewheel.

Paul

Top Bottom