RIP - Hadrian’s wall tree

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
They should be given the Birch,

DRM

Guru
They went against the grain of public opinion, and were investigated by root & branch officers from Special Branch, they should have twigged they'd be in big trouble, and now a prison sentence will axe their normal home lives.

It's a non native species that might easily be cut down in native woodland. I think one less sycamore is a good outcome! BTW wasn't there a risk of was damaging archeology too being where it was.

Gillstay

Über Member
It's a non native species that might easily be cut down in native woodland. I think one less sycamore is a good outcome! BTW wasn't there a risk of was damaging archeology too being where it was.

It wasn't in a native woodland and it might easily be left there, it gave people pleasure, it locks up carbon and it was criminal damage of someone else's property. I find it odd that you approve.

OP
OP
Beebo

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I don’t think the tree had any formal protected status, but it was over 200 years old. And you can’t just go around chopping down trees that don’t belong to you. I doubt the punishment will be very harsh, even if anyone is found guilty.

Calling them non native is a bit odd when they have clearly been naturalised into the ecosystem. Every plant has to come from somewhere initially. And frankly it would be impossible to eradicate all sycamores from the UK.

As pointed out in the True Facts thread, the UK only has 35 actual native trees. So it would be very boring without a few new arrivals.

DRM

Guru
It wasn't in a native woodland and it might easily be left there, it gave people pleasure, it locks up carbon and it was criminal damage of someone else's property. I find it odd that you approve.

And it was sucking up rain water like it was going out of fashion, preventing the land getting waterlogged

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Taking

Not so long ago there weren't any/many native tries in Great Britain. Certainly none in northern England. There was ice all over it. I don't know if there were any trees on unglaciated bit in the south.

Not that I'm a fan of non-native species. But even the native species are relative newcomers.

Top Bottom