100 Greatest Non-Fiction Books?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User169

Travel section has one of my all time favourites - Black Lamb and Grey Falcon.

Danube by Claudio Magris, on the other hand. One of the few books I've ever given up on. Pretentious twaddle and not even amusing.

Couple of omissions:

Jane Jacobs: The Death and Life of Great American Cities.
Joseph Needham: Science and Civilisation in China

And if you have to include Dawkins, the Extended Phenotype rather than Selfish Gene

Canrider

Guru
Phoooo, that's a toughie.

Marcel Mauss' "The Gift"? (ostensibly a study of gift exchange in small-scale society, but with applicability right across human interaction)

Clifford Geertz's "The Interpretation of Cultures", but that's a series of essays.

Something my Claude Levi-Strauss?

I think these are probably all too 'niche' barring perhaps the first.

You'll note I can't think of a single archaeological book worthy of mention... :biggrin:

asterix

Comrade Member
On a more general theme:

Principia Mathematica by Isaac Newton.
An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith

gbb

Legendary Member
Gulag Archipeligo by Solzhenitsyn's in there, probably one of my favourites...just started Gulag 2 BTW.

Stalingrad by Anthony Beavor definately one of mine too.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
The Worst Journey In The World, by Apsley cherry Garrard. Only one of the greatest travel books of all time (and it isn't on the list!, do the compilers drag their knuckles or something?:rolleyes:).

RedRider

Pulling through
Some crackers on that list, makes me realise how much I read before I was 20 and how little since. Especially pleased to see Studs Terkel up there. History told in people's own words.

Interesting that In Cold Blood and The Journalist and the Murderer are both on the list.

Off the top of my head I'm tempted to add The Uses of Literacy by Richard Hoggart and the collected essays/letters/journalism of George Orwell published in four volumes by Penguin about a decade ago.

Top Bottom