11 speed shimano, aaaggghh!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclist33

It turns out to be ridiculously complex to set up the front mech. By contrast my other 105 which is 10 speed has looked after itself the 12 months I've had it.

You need a bloody mechanics degree to understand it. Also I've found the clearance from crank arm to mech to be very tight, like a millimetre at times, adjusting the mech has led to scratches on the inside of the crank arm.

All the stuff and nonsense of an extra gear, what was wrong with ten?!

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
It turns out to be ridiculously complex to set up the front mech. By contrast my other 105 which is 10 speed has looked after itself the 12 months I've had it.

You need a bloody mechanics degree to understand it. Also I've found the clearance from crank arm to mech to be very tight, like a millimetre at times, adjusting the mech has led to scratches on the inside of the crank arm.

There have been times when I wonder what was wrong with friction shifters.... Inner limit, outer limit set, enough tension in the cable, and perfect gear changes as you go. They should have marqueted* it as ''infinitely variable trim''.

*That's my night's word play done.

Tojo

Über Member

Set you're stops and front mech alignment before you attach any cables, just push them with your fingers, on 11spd front the back end of the cadge should be very slightly inwards of the outer chain ring, I've just looked at my ultegra and the FD cage is no where near the crank arm even when on 11 on the cassette and on the outer on the front so I would say that your stop on the front is too far out or the FD cage is not aligned properly, hope this helps.....:thumbsup:

Onyer

You can obtain the dealers manual from here http://si.shimano.com/# to help with the setup. When I installed my Ultegra 6800 I downloaded them all and they were a big help in making sure I understood how to align the front and rear mechs. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Cyclist33

Cyclist33

Thanks, it does help although I can't limit the top limiter back any further without the cage hitting the chain.

Shimano even supplied this incomprehensible little plastic widget, I know there is a manual you can look up online but really.

There doesn't seem to be anything to be gained from eleven speed except dissatisfaction lol.

Thanks, it does help although I can't limit the top limiter back any further without the cage hitting the chain.

Shimano even supplied this incomprehensible little plastic widget, I know there is a manual you can look up online but really.

There doesn't seem to be anything to be gained from eleven speed except dissatisfaction lol.
I agree. There is no advantage over 10 or even 9.

You do know that the cable anchor point differs depending on the cable's approach angle?

D

Deleted member 23692

You do know that the cable anchor point differs depending on the cable's approach angle?
That's the bit that slowed me down when fitting it. I wasn't supplied with the magic doody to help you decide which position the wee pin needs to be in. Sod's law dictates you'll get in wrong 1st time.

Once sorted it's a doddle to set up and buttery smooth in usage

I remember people moaning when we went from 5 to 6.
Your observation is spot on. We never grumble and compare our stuff to 40 years back. We complain about last year's improvements. If you don't you sound like a newbie. But like Mr Ffoeg above says, the new stuff is really lovely.

OP
OP
Cyclist33

Cyclist33

I agree. There is no advantage over 10 or even 9.

Yes, it hasn't changed anything substantially but I've checked it.

The whole thing is noisy, clunky and bulky, nothing like as smooth as the ten speed 105.

Vertego

Just reflecting on the meaning of life.
Oh, how I remember those days.

52/42 and a straight block 13-17. It never stopped me riding. And down tube shifters just worked.

lpretro1

Have fitted several 11 speed drive trains and found them very easy. The little plastic tool for the front mech is there to allow you to get the best angle for the cable for your bike. Most people make the mistake in the way they fit the cable at the pinch clamp - it is different to the older models. If you are new to these then read the manual - it's all there

screenman

Legendary Member
Oh, how I remember those days.

52/42 and a straight block 13-17. It never stopped me riding. And down tube shifters just worked.

And you watched black and white tv as well. Along with driving a car with no aircon, how we a suffered back then.

Tojo

Über Member
Here have a look at this

http://si.shimano.com/#seriesList/18

Open the link above and select
FC-6800 and click on the red DM option and it will download a PDF file about setting up your 11spd front mech, it may help a bit better than the leaflet you get in the box.....:thumbsup: and it will also explain what the wee plastic gizmo is for....:okay:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cyclist33

Cyclist33

Here you go have a look at this

http://si.shimano.com/#seriesList/18

Open the link above and select
FC-6800 and click on the red DM option and it will download a PDF file about setting up your 11spd front mech, it may help a bit better than the wee leaflet you get in the box.....:thumbsup:
Thank you

From a cursory first read through I'm concluding that the bike shop saw fit to bag up the measurement tool and the seat post brace pads but not actually use them or read up on how. This is a bit frustrating as I'm not really sure how to approach a professional mechanic in a lbs and suggest they didn't know what they were doing..!

Top Bottom