1960s bike with Les Ephgrave frame.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wolosp

In 1970, or thereabouts, I bought myself a second-hand bike from a local bike shop in an Essex town where I lived at the time. I rode it regularly in and around Essex and Kent - it was my main mode of transport at the time. Once I learned to drive, the bike was retired to the garden shed, with occasional outings.
I had always thought it was a bit special, having a Nitor saddle, particularly decorative lugs, Weinmann brakes and wheels, with quick-release hubs and Campagnolo gears, with the derailleur lever mounted on the end of the right-hand handlebar. The rear derailleur is a Campagnolo Gran Sport. There was no badge or name on the frame at all.
It also had a 10-speed chainset with the two chainrings having a very closely paired gear ratio. In fact, there was little to chose between one and the other. This made me suspect that the bike had been built for a specific sporting event.
I replaced the chainring to one more suited to average road use, and will try to find the original.
Anyway, time moves on, and I was about to take the bike to the local dump a couple of weeks ago, when I noticed the stamp 3604 LE under the bottom bracket, so I Googled it, curious to see if anything came up.
I have now identified the frame as one built by Les Ephgrave, probably in the early to mid 1960s.
I now wish to sell the bike in order to fund the purchase of a new bike for myself to use in my retirement.
So I would like to ask those in this group their opinion, whether I should strip the components from the frame and sell each item seperately, or should I sell the bike 'as is'?
Unfortunately, the rear wheel is not original as it was damaged after I lent the bike to my brother-in-law one day who rode it along a pavement and dropped off the kerb onto the road :-(
The front wheel and brake calipers (Weinmann) have become a bit corroded having been stored in a shed for many years, but I would think they would respond to buffing.
I'd appreciate your thoughts.
Thanks,
Paul

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Sounds like it was set up for Time Trialling, why not do it up and ride it

davidphilips

Veteran
about to take the bike to the local dump a couple of weeks ago

thank goodness you changed your mind,pictures would be nice,if you still have the damaged rear wheel it could have a new rim fitted, even if you dont want to keep you can always sell it on here.

midlife

Guru
Hi. Pics would be nice :smile:

Believe it or not it was the trend in the 60's to have only 2 teeth different in the chainrings, hardly seemed worthwhile lol

Shaun

OP
OP
W

wolosp

Thank you for your replies.
I shall clean the frame a bit over the coming week and upload some images.
My funds are rather limited, and I feel that I would not do justice to the bike if I were to 'restore' without using correct period components.
I'm sure there'll be someone who would appreciate it.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Thank you for your replies.
I shall clean the frame a bit over the coming week and upload some images.
My funds are rather limited, and I feel that I would not do justice to the bike if I were to 'restore' without using correct period components.
I'm sure there'll be someone who would appreciate it.

pictures as it is now please nothing wrong with dirt and dust @wolosp

classic33

Leg End Member
pictures as it is now please nothing wrong with dirt and dust @wolosp
They'll make you appreciate the effort you put into cleaning it, when little seems to have been done.

Elbow Grease is cheap anyway.

OP
OP
W

wolosp

Pictures 'as is', with dirt n' grease as requested.

tVFpXG3s.jpg
g3C5K9DT.jpg
b5vIoS8F.jpg
6XpOrEYZ.jpg
PNhfIxgh.jpg
e3lGtWxm.jpg
cdOSXhYV.jpg
9vBGyGut.jpg

@mjr: "Was that "half step gearing", to give a searchable name?" I've looked at the description...and that does indeed sound like what I had.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Hi. Pics would be nice :smile:

Believe it or not it was the trend in the 60's to have only 2 teeth different in the chainrings, hardly seemed worthwhile lol

Shaun
More to do with what the front derailleur's at the time could handle.

Top Bottom