1977 Raleigh Chopper MK2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
A few views of my Mk2 in infra red dating from 77. Extensive replating and painting have been done on this machine. Still not quite finished yet.

P9110073.jpg

P9110074.jpg

No self respecting Chopper owner would be without a Pifco night rider lamp...
P9110084.jpg

P9110083.jpg

P9110077.jpg

P9110075.jpg

P9110076.jpg

Huret speedo and rechromed bars and stem...
P9110080.jpg

P9110089.jpg

Rear shocks and rack are NOS...
P9110078.jpg

"Stupid, too small, idiotic front wheel, not safe, a fad, unreliable, they'll never catch on".

Those words of my dad still sound loud and clear in my mind.

I still want one. Badly.

My best friend was allowed one - dad made me have a "sensible, grown up, bike". I negotiated as far as being allowed gears.

We were 10.

I am 41 now but the pain is still all too real
cry.gif

WANT!

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

"Stupid, too small, idiotic front wheel, not safe, a fad, unreliable, they'll never catch on".

I still want one. Badly.

My best friend was allowed one - dad made me have a "sensible, grown up, bike". I negotiated as far as being allowed gears.

We were 10.

cry.gif

WANT!

Go on treat yerself!
laugh.gif

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
They were a lot cooler than the home-made racer with a 3-speed Sturmey Archer and drop bar conversion that I had at the time, a mate let me have a go on his and I went straight over the handlebars, great bike!!!

:becool:

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

They were a lot cooler than the home-made racer with a 3-speed Sturmey Archer and drop bar conversion that I had at the time, a mate let me have a go on his and I went straight over the handlebars, great bike!!!

:becool:

The Chopper Sprint! They go for silly money now as some of the part were non-standard from the 'normal' ie the bars and tires as well as frame...

Ridden a few and have to say they were the most uncomfortable and unstable bike Ive ever ridden. Remember Kevin Keegan riding one in the 1970s show Superstars - cam off a cropper!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Happy memories of mine, which I got as combined Xtmas/birthday present in 1974. Parents couldn't stretch to fancy lights and a speedo though. iirc after a couple of years riding nealry 3 miles to school and spending hours 'bombing about' the gear hub 'went' on it and I traded up to a Raleigh Olympus 10 speed

Bayerd

Über Member

I still want one. Badly.

We were 10.

cry.gif

WANT!

+1, although I'm only 38.......

jayonabike