1985 Raleigh Sprint - Fork replacement or repair?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've recently picked up a decent condition Raleigh Sprint with the aim of using it for some lunchtime riding at work.

It brings back memories as it's the adult version of the first road bike I had.

This morning I've got it all cleaned up and recabled but on my first brief test ride it juddered violently when braking. I thought I hadn't quite trued the wheels well enough but on further investigated there was play in the steerer. On trying to tighten I found that the thread on the steered tube has been nearly stripped bare!

On a first look it appears that the steerer is part of the fork so I'm guessing that a whole new fork is required......is this correct? If so, are these fairly interchangable?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Not sure if this actually a Record Sprint fork as it's a unicrown but it shows you can source a replacement quite easily.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/26588235...LEiLZ2ZQF6&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
Was there's Sprint and a Record Sprint, not sure ? Perhaps one of the Raleigh experts could tell us.
I know the Record Sprint had a paint scheme that mimicked the Capri JPS colours.

OP
OP
C

cubegame

Guru
Mine is the bog standard Sprint....I liked the Record Sprint because of the colours but I only got a hand-me-down!

There does seem plenty around though....which is good.

OP
OP
C

cubegame

Guru
Actually a good trawl through Ebay didn't yield anything.....it seems the steerer on my Sprint is rather long.

I've done a bit of searching to see what other options could be possible.

One that comes up as a semi-bodge is to change to a threadless headset and then use a BBB BHP-20 stem extender. This theoretically allows the safe use of a threaded fork in the threadless headset.

Has anyone done anything like that?

Jameshow

Veteran
Actually a good trawl through Ebay didn't yield anything.....it seems the steerer on my Sprint is rather long.

I've done a bit of searching to see what other options could be possible.

One that comes up as a semi-bodge is to change to a threadless headset and then use a BBB BHP-20 stem extender. This theoretically allows the safe use of a threaded fork in the threadless headset.

Has anyone done anything like that?

I've used a bhp 20 type thing but it doesn't fix the headset issue though dies it??

It would, sort of - although it is outside of what the manufacturers would want you to do.

Frankly, I'd look. It is just an ordinary 27x1 1/4" (or 700c depending on age) steel 10 speed fork. A bike recycling project would have one.

Actually, measure the steerer tube - I might have one. Cost of postage if it will work.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
If it's a cheap Raleigh of that age it could still have a 26tpi fork. A 24tpi, i.e. BSC/ISO, fork is fine as a replacement but you will need a new headset. You *may* need to have the head tube reamed to 30.2mm from Raleigh's 30.0mm but try it first, as the new cups may already fit quite nicely.

There are other considerations like offset (tends to be 43-45mm for all "racing" frames), steerer length and axle-crown length. It's a bit of a minefield if you don't know what you're doing.

OP
OP
C

cubegame

Guru
It would, sort of - although it is outside of what the manufacturers would want you to do.

Frankly, I'd look. It is just an ordinary 27x1 1/4" (or 700c depending on age) steel 10 speed fork. A bike recycling project would have one.

Actually, measure the steerer tube - I might have one. Cost of postage if it will work.

I made a trip to a local place that I thought might be lucky but alas no....

The steerer tube is 205mm....I'm assuming 700c. It'd be amazing if you had one!

Top Bottom