2012 Croix De Fer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Coxyuk

Regular
After my earlier tail of woe here I've today picked up my new bike, a 2012 model Croix De Fer with 20 rather than 18 gears, different rims and no doubt a few other tweaks.

bike2.jpg

It was my first time on SPD pedals as well and so far I've not fallen off :tongue:

I have to say it's a lovely bike and a much easier ride up hill than my vintage road bike and much faster than my old mountain bike.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I love the way the genesis bikes look, not sure i can get another one though.
It's a shame they haven't mounted the rear disc brake mount on the chain stay. Makes putting a rack and mudguards on so much easier.

OP
OP
C

Coxyuk

Regular
I love the way the genesis bikes look, not sure i can get another one though.
It's a shame they haven't mounted the rear disc brake mount on the chain stay. Makes putting a rack and mudguards on so much easier.

Not for me, I'll ask the bike shop to fit it ;)

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I've got the 2011 and love it. If I'm being honest I think it's slightly expensive for what it is, but it looks so fantastic and the ride is lovely, that I don't care. I adore the retro style of the saddle and bars. I'm not ruining the lines of it with a rack and guards though!

I did have an issue with squeaky brakes, but got the LBS to swap out the pads with organic pads and it's been fine since.

I swapped the supplied tyres with Conti gatorskins, as I'm not really planning to take it offroad, but it's nice to know I could do some light trail on it if I wanted to.

And the steel frame is amazing, just soaks up the bumps. I think I would definitely go for steel again, given the choice.

OP
OP
C

Coxyuk

Regular
I've got the 2011 and love it. If I'm being honest I think it's slightly expensive for what it is, but it looks so fantastic and the ride is lovely, that I don't care. I adore the retro style of the saddle and bars. I'm not ruining the lines of it with a rack and guards though!

I did have an issue with squeaky brakes, but got the LBS to swap out the pads with organic pads and it's been fine since.

I swapped the supplied tyres with Conti gatorskins, as I'm not really planning to take it offroad, but it's nice to know I could do some light trail on it if I wanted to.

And the steel frame is amazing, just soaks up the bumps. I think I would definitely go for steel again, given the choice.

I've put armadillos on mine but kept the original tyres just in case. There are a few little squeaks at the moment but will get the LBS to check it over soon.

Fex

I also bought a CdF (2011) last month and have done about 300 miles so far. I originally wanted a steel touring bike but settled for this on a bit of whim. I am very pleased thatI did. It is a delight to ride although I may have bought it a size too small. I am amazed at just how comfortable it is over bad roads and it feels very assured when on tracks or towpaths. Mine has black shiny guards and a 11 - 34 cassette with Deore SLX mech and it all works perfectly. This is my first bike with STI and I thinkI would find it very disappointing to go back to what I used before - that bike is now for shopping and stand in when the CdF is needing maintenance. I have minor brake squeal from the rear but will ask the shop to look at it when it goes in for a 500m service next month.

Ideally I would prefer to have a triple rather than the 50 - 34 compact but have yet to need it as there few very steep hills around South Cheshire; it would be quite expensive to change and for the present I am quite happy with the standard chainset

So far, I would recommend a CdF to anyone and I ma very happy with the service received from the bike shop, twelve50 Bikes in Frodsham.

I am however thinking of buying a different set of tyres for road only. Any advice on what to choose. Current preference is for 700 x 28 Gatorskins but this not based on experience and I would be happy to hear of suggested alternatives.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I am however thinking of buying a different set of tyres for road only. Any advice on what to choose. Current preference is for 700 x 28 Gatorskins but this not based on experience and I would be happy to hear of suggested alternatives.

I went for Gatorskins, 700x25 on mine and they've been fine. Not sure how different 3mm would be, so I guess the 700x28 would be fine too.
I thought having skinny rock hard tyres might make it uncomfortable, but that springy steel frame soaks up anything!

OP
OP
C

Coxyuk

Regular
As I mention I went for the armadillos on advice from the LBS they're the 28mm variety. Found a piece of metal stuck in the rear this morning and removed it with no I'll effect.

Fex

Many thanks. I have ordered a pair of Gatorskin more because they were a bit cheap than for any better reason.

argdraw

I too brought one of these, is great to ride, but 4000 miles on, I realise my mistake,
it uses a 10 speed cassette like nearly all new bikes, so I now have to replace the complete transmission.
before my tour I replaced the headset as the bearings where pitted, and during the tour I replaced the bottom bracket bearings, as one side had collapsed, I'm am very glad I only used my bike for touring, and not racing cyclo cross, because unlike my 25 year old rigid mountain bike, which is still going strong, I think it would have died.

Lovely frame, great brakes (once adjusted, originally supplied with front disc, touching caliper!) 10 speed transmission too delicate. my bike shop, 'helped' me by swapping components onto a larger frame set. which I blame for the bearing troubles.

Top Bottom