2012 Cube Peloton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tjw_78

Popped into LBS on Saturday to have a chat about what road bike I might get on the c2w scheme. They stock Cube, and what was the Attempt is getting re-branded as a Peloton for 2012. 105 AND Ultegra on it for less than £1000! I was quite surprised at that. The bike below at £850-ish has Tiagra I think, but initially it seems worth spending the extra £150. Going to go for a test ride in a fort night when they come into the shop.

Finding this quite hard to decide. I can afford £1000, but I'm a road-newbie (so will I notice the difference? - it will be quicker than my Rockhopper either way) and £150 is still £150 (especially with a baby on the way)

Any thoughts?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
The Peloton is an existing model iirc, are you sure its a re-brand of the "Attempt"? DrSquirrel here has a Cube Peloton, its a few years old.

The Peloton is an existing model iirc, are you sure its a re-brand of the "Attempt"? DrSquirrel here has a Cube Peloton, its a few years old.

It appears that Cube have rebranded the Performance Series (Aerial, Peloton, Attempt, Streamer) into one Peloton range for 2012. Same frame/fork apparently, each with different specs. Groupsets go from Sora to Ultegra and wheels change as you progress up the price range.

Popped into LBS on Saturday to have a chat about what road bike I might get on the c2w scheme. They stock Cube, and what was the Attempt is getting re-branded as a Peloton for 2012. 105 AND Ultegra on it for less than £1000! I was quite surprised at that. The bike below at £850-ish has Tiagra I think, but initially it seems worth spending the extra £150. Going to go for a test ride in a fort night when they come into the shop.

Finding this quite hard to decide. I can afford £1000, but I'm a road-newbie (so will I notice the difference? - it will be quicker than my Rockhopper either way) and £150 is still £150 (especially with a baby on the way)

Any thoughts?

If it's a Cube you want and have a grand to spend then you will not do much better than the 2012 Peloton Race. It replaces the Attempt which C+ rated as best under £1000 bike in their Bike of the Year, if memory serves me correctly. Have a 2010 Peloton and have nothing but good things to say about it.

OP
OP
tjw_78

tjw_78

If it's a Cube you want and have a grand to spend then you will not do much better than the 2012 Peloton Race. It replaces the Attempt which C+ rated as best under £1000 bike in their Bike of the Year, if memory serves me correctly. Have a 2010 Peloton and have nothing but good things to say about it.

Its not so much that I 'want' a Cube, but that is what the LBS stock, along with Giant.

Its more that, as a newbie, will that extra £150 (or £350, I could go in at that even lower price point) be noticeable? Yes, I know that its cheaper to buy a good gear-set with the bike, and that going for the £999 Peloton is good value, probably better value than the lower priced bikes - but will I notice?

He is absolutely right, they have renamed their bikes and the major change in the 2012 range between the ex Streamer / Peleton Race are the forks, and frame making it a little bit heavier than last year (200gr)
To be honest I am thinking of getting one too but prefer last years colours (blue and white) but Im in no rush and Im taking my chances till the prices drop even further (there are still a few about in my size)I found it quite strange that last year Streamer RRP at £1225 (approx) and this year same specced Peleton Race is going to be £999.00. At the sales next year if you find any they will be a steal with this specs and discounted!

Just out of curiosity are you in Wokingham yet? If so a trip to Cyclezone in Crowthorne would be recommended. 25% discounts on Ridley bikes while stocks last.

Nufab

Über Member
A lad at work bought a Cube Peloton 2011 with Tiagra not long ago... It was £850 but I think he paid in the region of £720 for it. It's a pretty bike and he seems happy with it.

ohnovino

Large Member
It looks like:

Cube Peloton (Sora) ~ £680
Cube Peloton Pro (Tiagra) ~ £800
Cube Peloton Race (105) ~ £1000
Cube Peloton SL (Ultegra) ~ £1150

(from here)

Top Bottom