2021 Brompton C-Line Explore

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

berlinonaut

Veteran
I could probably strip out the contents of the laptop bag and cram them into the rucksack, however I like to keep things separate for convenience.. so the best solution still looks to be a decent-sized rucksack for my personal stuff (change of clothes, lunch, stuff that's usually in my pockets, water bottle) along with a separate way of carrying the laptop - the obvious one being the front bag.
Obviously your choice but I am wondering about the "not enough space" argument. 100.000s of riders have commuted with the Brommi for decades, many of them carrying laptops along with all the other stuff they need or want to take with them. People even go travelling with nothing but a front bag.
There are so many bags on the market, it is hard to imagine that there is no fitting solution. However: You know your needs best and if they are different from all others that's fine. I'd however avoid a backpack as it makes a sweaty back. If you need or want two separate bags I'd think about a saddle bag. Either a traditional one from Carradice or a fancy one from Frost and Seekers. The latter are way more expensive but offer a slightly more modern look and a nice quick release system for the Brompton Pentaclip: https://frostandsekers.com/

berlinonaut

Veteran
Thanks - certainly looks like the best (only!) solution so far :smile:
Most Brompton bags have two smaller bags on the backside where you can put a water bottle. They are not intended for that purpose (apart from the T-Bag) but it works w/o issues.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
You have to accept what they are, and that is a very convenient folding bike with a 40 year old relatively unchanged design, the drivetrain is akin to a 1970’s Raleigh Chopper. If I get back on to my Van Nicholas with its silky smooth mixture of Dura Ace and Ultegra it’s like jumping from a 2CV to modern day VW Golf. However I just love the Brompton warts and all.
An interesting perspective to liken its drivetrain to the chopper (makes it sound like a kit car running a crossflow from a Cortina!) however while the format might be old hat the performance doesn't have to be as per my previous post I'm sure the Shimano Nexus in my old Ofo was much quieter.

Granted the Brompton item's got a much wider range; perhaps that's something to do with it - time to do some learning :tongue:

This video is very informative if, like me you're not too familar with what goes on inside the hub:

Tbh while I'd prefer it to be quiet I have less of an issue with it ticking in 3rd - it's the whirring and vibration in 1st I'm not keen on..

They seem quintessentially British tbh; quirky, highly innovative in some areas, surprisingly crude in others. They're certainly unique and characterful and mine is definitely growing on me :smile:

Is it the plastic derailleur that makes it noisy in 1st gear or the SA 1st gear or combination of the two? Can’t say I’ve noticed it myself.
I don't think the external gear selector setup should have any influence on the noise the hub itself makes in each gear since the two are effectively separated. For a given hub gear it sounds different on either sprocket; likewise for any given sprocket the hub sounds different in each gear..

So, logically each of the six total gears can only sound different due to the changing cumulative sounds of whichever combination of gears is being used; rather than one affecting the intrinsic characteristics of the other... if that makes sense.

Obviously your choice but I am wondering about the "not enough space" argument. 100.000s of riders have commuted with the Brommi for decades, many of them carrying laptops along with all the other stuff they need or want to take with them. People even go travelling with nothing but a front bag.
There are so many bags on the market, it is hard to imagine that there is no fitting solution. However: You know your needs best and if they are different from all others that's fine. I'd however avoid a backpack as it makes a sweaty back. If you need or want two separate bags I'd think about a saddle bag. Either a traditional one from Carradice or a fancy one from Frost and Seekers. The latter are way more expensive but offer a slightly more modern look and a nice quick release system for the Brompton Pentaclip: https://frostandsekers.com/
Indeed, however we all have differing amounts to carry - my usual being an often-well-stuffed 35L rucksack and a similarly-loaded laptop bag containing a load of peripherals. I'm looking to slim down what I carry (I like to be prepared!) and can potentially leave the laptop at work although this isn't ideal in case I need to work from home or go straight to a client first thing.

While I prefer to compartmentalise my luggage (rucksack for personal stuff, laptop bag for work) ideally I'd like to boil it down to just one bag for the front of the bike, that I'm also comfortable carrying off-bike when its folded. Wednesday afternoon I met some mates at the pub on the way home from work and dragging my exhausted, sweat-drenched corpse through the pub with the folded bike, rucksack and shoulder bag wasn't fun.

Ideally I'd like a rucksack that also fits on the front of the bike to keep my hands free when off-bike (thanks for your previous link!) however there don't seem to be many about and what there is appears to be smaller than I'd like (I appreciate the space constraints to a point) and often eye-wateringly expensive. Irritatingly it seems that anything even remotely associated with these bikes commands a doubling of the price :sad:

Maybe the closest thing to ideal currently is the Borough waterproof backpack, but it's smaller (at least on paper) than I'd like, and again bloody expensive.

I guess a messenger bag with its strap across the chest could also work; there seem to be more of this format and I appreciate the the landscape orientation of these bags is typically more suited to going on the front of the bike to allow clearance with the handlebars, compared to your typical portrait rucksack.

Anyway, after all this I've done a few more jobs on the bike, cocked up a few things and tbh think I need to step away from it for a while as it's really fuelling my already rampant anxiety.

I do love the bike and in time think it'll provide a really decent, workable transport solution to the commute / other excursions once I've sorted clothing / luggage / all the other little things; however for now the bits of it that aren't right, plus the bewilderingly-myriad-if-imperfect solutions to all the questions still to be answered are taking their toll on my fragile head.

Think I might have to make an executive decision and get out for a mental health ride on something else.

Last edited:

12boy

Guru
According to Sheldon Brown the SA IGH hubs used to be an oil bath setup with a port in which to add oil. In lieu of the two types of grease the newer ones use I went with adding a few CCs of oil through the axle and the only downside was it seeps out very slowly. It does quiet the hub a lot and when noisy again a little more oil takes care of that. My home town bike path is interrupted with traffic lights, lots of twists and turns, busted pavement and some pretty stout climbs. I find 10.2 mph good. When I was in Albuquerque New Mexico in April there was a 20 mile ride available that was flat, well paved, no stops and straight. On that path it was easy to ave 13+mph. 12 mph seems pretty good to me. Course I am just a doddering old man and younger, fitter riders smoke my ass all the time.

Gunk

Guru
Here is an idea @wafter for a replacement for the knackered rollers. Old skateboard wheels. Although rollerblade wheels would be better, thinner, the ones below although cool would probably catch your heels

IMG_0907.png

These would work, plus plenty of spares

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18569461...HQw_5aGRFG&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Last edited:
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
According to Sheldon Brown the SA IGH hubs used to be an oil bath setup with a port in which to add oil. In lieu of the two types of grease the newer ones use I went with adding a few CCs of oil through the axle and the only downside was it seeps out very slowly. It does quiet the hub a lot and when noisy again a little more oil takes care of that. My home town bike path is interrupted with traffic lights, lots of twists and turns, busted pavement and some pretty stout climbs. I find 10.2 mph good. When I was in Albuquerque New Mexico in April there was a 20 mile ride available that was flat, well paved, no stops and straight. On that path it was easy to ave 13+mph. 12 mph seems pretty good to me. Course I am just a doddering old man and younger, fitter riders smoke my ass all the time.
Thanks - you're the second person who's suggested a bit of oil in this area, so maybe I'll try it after the hub's had a few hundred miles to wear in :smile:

Yeah, happy with the 12mph.. seems reasonable considering the bike and riding position. Not sure what it'd fall to if I encountered similar elevation to rides I do on other bikes..

Here is an idea @wafter for a replacement for the knackered rollers. Old skateboard wheels. Although rollerblade wheels would be better, thinner, the ones below although cool would probably catch your heels

View attachment 696195

These would work, plus plenty of spares

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18569461...HQw_5aGRFG&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
Thanks - that would 100% be heel-strike hell, however :tongue:

There's certainly a lot of choice out there - Brompton Easy Wheels (large, decent looking, apparently use large O-rings as tyres - so replaceable - but expensive. Cheap Chinese knockoffs of these on Ali Expresss for less than a quid a pair, nice looking turned ally jobs on ebay / Ali Express...

Thoughts of a rack are still lingering as I like the apparently better stability when folded of four larger wheels, plus the re-positioning of the rear reflector / light further back and potentially nicer folding action (don't like dragging the mudflap on the ground or the little wheel at the back smacking back to earth). Appreciate all the arguments for keeping it guard-less too, however..

I've been looking at bags and it looks like it'll be a waterproof shoulder bag of some description of 20-25l; the Brompton Borough large being the obvious candidate, although I'm not 100% sold on the aesthetic and the price isn't shy.

I did get excited for a while about a possible universal front rack to take standard rear pannier bags (which would be a lot cheaper) however this apparently isn't really a thing outside of a few custom jobs.. which have their limitations.

I've done a few little things on the bike recently:

Re-wrapped the chainstay where the front latches when folded as the single piece of (wrong way around) electrical tape had already succumbed. Replaced with doubled-up smooth gaffer tape and a covering of PVC. Might need something more substatial attaching; could fashion a plastic plate to go under the tape perhaps..

I've removed the Evans sticker as it was aesthetically incongruous to the rest of the bike, and I don't want to promote another of Sports Direct's enterprises.

The original saddle is back on and seems OK - perhaps not quite as much layback as the Brand X item I'd fitted , but seems workable and weighs about 130g less than the BX (c. 230 v 358g). Will see how I get on during next week's commute.

I've also fitted my newly-arrived ezclamp springs (after cleaning and regreasing everything, as well as stoning the burrs off the clamp washers). Thanks to those who recommended them; they're bloody great and improve the operation of the clamp many times over IMO - should be something Brompton adopted (under license as nec.) many years ago..

I did briefely toy with the idea of some fancy aftermarket clamp handles, however couldn't find any that I liked the look of (had a particular thing in mind that I'd seen somewhere, but couldn't find it), while they're all bloody expensive and the original ones do a great job tbh.

Got back from a wedding a couple of hours ago to a hot and stuffy house, so just went out for a few laps of the village in the cool evening air, the Brompton seeming like the best choice and certainly pleasant to just waft around on. Was impressed by the suspension when dropping off a curb too..

Definitely think I'm going to love it once it's all been sorted out :smile:

Last edited:

shingwell

And yes you do need it if you ever ride in the wet, otherwise you get a muddy stripe up your back!

Gunk

Guru
Re-wrapped the chainstay where the front latches when folded as the single piece of (wrong way around) electrical tape had already succumbed. Replaced with doubled-up smooth gaffer tape and a covering of PVC. Might need something more substatial attaching; could fashion a plastic plate to go under the tape perhaps..

That sounds like a bit of a bodge on a very nice bike, you can buy a twin pack of carbon fibre protectors for the BB and chainstay, they would really suit your bike.

I ordered the ezclamp springs as soon as I read about them here: they are brilliant. They have highlighted that I need to lube the clamp screws a bit so that’s probably another benefit.

berlinonaut

Veteran
IME a rack won't help the little muflap when folding - I've replaced mine a couple of times.

Why did you replace it? Until a couple of years ago it was bolted on and got lost from time to time. For at least 8 years (if not longer) it is popped to the mudguard with a rivet, so does not get lost any more. Bromptons before 2000 did not have the flap at all (but a minimally longer mudguard. Turns out that the flap is the better choice).

Gunk

Guru
Why did you replace it? Until a couple of years ago it was bolted on and got lost from time to time. For at least 8 years (if not longer) it is popped to the mudguard with a rivet, so does not get lost any more. Bromptons before 2000 did not have the flap at all (but a minimally longer mudguard. Turns out that the flap is the better choice).

now it’s supplied with the replacement mudguard blade

shingwell

It's not quite that old, but it has gone missing a couple of times and I bolted on a replacement. I bought it used so I don't know its full history. I am quite good at scraping it on the floor when folding though!

I agree for such a small addition to the mudguard it makes a surprisingly big difference in the wet!

Top Bottom