30 miles...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
About the same. 30 is a nice round number.
Even though I'm powered these days, 50 seems a 'long day ride'.

Alex321

Veteran
I don't get to do 30 miles nearly as often as I would like.

I'm still in full time employment, so during the week, my rides are either commutes (15.3 miles each way), or are after work if WFH, when I can rarely spare more than about an hour to an hour and a half, so usually 15-23 miles. I do feel that s enough to be worthwhile.

But I can do a fair bit more than that before getting too tired, and quite often manage a 30 miler (or more) at the weekend. The most I have done to date is a 55 mile ride a few weeks ago.

Jameshow

Veteran
Agreed without stopping it's about my limit.

But with breaks 90 / 120 miles is quite enjoyable!

I love seeing the countryside roll by, the different people, villages and landscapes one passes through, the food eaten, the distance on a map traveled.

All missed at 70mph. Replaced by a big Mac in a sterile service station!

mustang1

Legendary Member
I do it more in terms of time. I don't like riding less than an hour so that's my minimum:

An hour on the road bike around town gets me about 20km.
On the open road, an hour gets me 25km.
Off-road gives me 15km.
Off-road on e-mtb gives me 20km.

I generally don't like riding more than 2 hours but that's because I start feeling guilty that I should do something more constructive instead (that's a mental block).

Physically, I'm happy to ride 3 hours in one go before stopping for a quick snack but if my plan is to ride for more than 3 hours then I need to set alarms to take breaks every 1 hour. If I take a break of longer than 20 minutes on those longer rides then it's a real chore to get back on and have any kind of pace but I think that's more because that longer break gives me an excuse to eat a lot of rubbish food which makes me lethargic.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I try and get one ride in a week that gets me close to 50 miles , this will get harder as winter closes in due to risk's of frost etc etc.
I don't like stopping for breaks and refuse to pay for snacks and tea when i have plenty of both at home already paid for .

Biggest reason not to be out all day is guilt as whilst i am out enjoying myself swmbo is stuck at home and task's are stacking up waiting to be done

Mo1959

Legendary Member
My love of cycling has fallen away recently so 25 - 30 is plenty for me. Gone are the days when I regularly knocked out 40 - 50 most days trying to do stupid Strava challenges! :laugh: My lumbar disc/sciatic problems seem to have robbed me of leg strength over the last few years so it’s just a hard slog to go any further now.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A nice 100 miler is my favourite. For the same reasons as @Jameshow said above. Its great being on the bike watching the world go by, discovering new roads and visiting new places.

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
Depends my mood and what time I have got etc. Usually I end up cycling 50-66 miles with mates but I have been known to comfortably extend it when I have time.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I think mine is about 60 miles/100k.

100 miles involves pushing myself, which I enjoy doing, but it's going above and beyond. 200k audaxes are an occasional thing and go into the "type 2 fun" zone for me.

That said, it all depends how hilly it is.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Weekends, I like a nice 30 miler, in the week - when I have time - 12 to 15 is usual, but not feeling the live at the moment. I have 2 challenge rides to log on the challenge thread too.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
My weekend rides are usually 25-50 miles depending on available time & whether with the OH or riding mates, the OH will tend towards a 20-35 miler except on special occasions, like a cycling weekend away we'll aim for 40-50 mile day. 60 miles feels like a good long ride that's earned your food and drink. I do the occasional ton but that is an all day commitment, which I rarely have the luxury of.

CXRAndy

Guru
In the spring / summer up to 40 miles is enough as I am a solo rider and in autumn/winter, up to 25 miles according to road conditions, weather and also reduced fitness due to less going out.

I'm the opposite, I do vast of my riding indoors (Zwift) and mostly in winter, then have the odd day outside when the weather is optimal in summer. This summer the Mrs and I visited all the local hostelries, doing upto 25 miles per trip. This sparked her interest in doing a tour next summer

Top Bottom