41 Years Hard !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
Just been having a chuckle over at songmeanings.com

My favourite was this gem for "Giving The Dog A Bone":

• General Comment:
    Originally an animal welfare campaign song promoting canine dental health.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks

AndyRM

XOXO
I can see the attraction lol. I've never been a big Maiden fan, they are great technically but don't float my boat. I prefer Thunder Thighs. Again I'd probably get flamed by hardcore Maiden fans but if I was going to listen to them it would be a Paul Dianno album, much prefer the punk sound to Dickinson's polished stuff...

I'd consider myself one of Maiden's hardcore fans, and my favourite album is Killers, closely followed by X Factor... I am generally shunned for this opinion.

Of the Dickinson fronted efforts I reckon the best are Fear of the Dark and Powerslave, with Somewhere in Time getting honourable mentions.

Have to say AC/DC have never done much for me. They're entertaining enough, but seem to have settled on a sound early on and never really deviated from it. Good fun to listen to, and they're class live but I'd not go out of my way to catch them.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I'd consider myself one of Maiden's hardcore fans, and my favourite album is Killers, closely followed by X Factor... I am generally shunned for this opinion.

Of the Dickinson fronted efforts I reckon the best are Fear of the Dark and Powerslave, with Somewhere in Time getting honourable mentions.

Have to say AC/DC have never done much for me. They're entertaining enough, but seem to have settled on a sound early on and never really deviated from it. Good fun to listen to, and they're class live but I'd not go out of my way to catch them.

I think some people (not including me) see that as a strength - for the decades that I have known him, I have never been in my best mate's car without either Rush or AC/DC banging away on the stereo (old fashioned term that).

My Sis-In-Law has never moved on from T.Rex.

I revisit my musical past from time to time, mainly from my 'denim flares and girlfriends who wore Afghan coats' era and sometimes wonder what on Earth all the fuss was about - apart from Kashmir, Trampled Underfoot, Smoke on the Water and Paranoid of course! :smile:

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks

I have to admit Andy that Iron Maiden are brilliantly technically with their instrument playing, but they simply do not float my boat musically and I find Dickinson's vocals over the top. I think you summed it up when you state that AC/DC are entertaining, which is mainly what I like. I agree they have not changed that much since they started but there is a marked difference between the Brian Johnston stuff, more so the later stuff. It is much more chorus based sing-a-long. The Live Wire gig I went to the Brian Johnston material was more popular probably because of this even though it is not as good IMVHO. Having said that when they played Thunderstruck, a song I would normally not listen to as its a bit cheesey the place was bouncing and it was brilliant. As you say it's entertaining and its great feel good music when watched live. I also listen to more serious rock/metal like Tool and Isis (the band), but it's good to listen to more light hearted music every now and again.

I guess what I was trying to say is that I never listen to Iron Maiden because it doesn't do it for me, but if I had to it would be the earlier stuff as I find Dickinson's voice overpowering, but to be honest I'd rather not listen to any of thier music and as such haven't owned any albums since I was a kid. What I do remember about Iron Maiden is that the later Bruce Dickinson material is technically way higher quality than the earlier stuff, but if you don't care for it its a bit meaningless how good the guitarists are. I guess if you are a hardcore fan it sounds ridiculous that somebody could prefer a basic cheesey song like Running Free. I've heard that Iron Maiden are really good live also, but I would not go out of my way to watch them either.

Still I can understand why people like Iron Maiden, just as I can understand why a lot of people don't care for AC/DC as they probably find them a bit cheesey/samey. Maiden t shirts appeared to be the most popular at the gig last night, thee's no denying how poplular and successful they have been.

OP
OP
U

User6179

AC/DC ‘Rock or Bust World Tour’ Dates: 5/5/15: Arnhem, Holland – Gelredome
5/8/15: Nuremberg, Germany – Zeppelinfeld
5/10/15: Dresden, Germany – Ostragehege
5/14/15: Zeltweg, Austria – Red Bull Race Track
5/16/15: Hockenheim, Germany – Hockenheimring
5/19/15: Munich, Germany – Olympia Stadium
5/23/15: Paris, France – Stade de France
5/29/15: Barcelona, Spain – Estadio Olympic
5/31/15: Madrid, Spain – Estadio Vicente Calderon
6/19/15: Cologne, Germany – Jahnwiesen
6/21/15: Hannover, Germany – Messe
6/25/15: Berlin, Germany – Olympia Stadium
6/28/15: Glasgow, Scotland – Hampden Park
7/1/15: Dublin, Ireland – Aviva Stadium
7/4/15: London, England – Wembley Stadium
7/9/15: Imola, Italy – Autodromo
7/12/15: Gelsenkirchen, Germany – Veltins Arena
7/15/15: Roskilde, Denmark – Roskilde Festival Site
7/17/15: Oslo, Norway – Valle Hovin
7/19/15: Stockholm, Sweden – Friends Arena
7/22/15: Hameenlinna, Finland – Open Air Park

Read More: AC/DC Announce First 2015 Live Dates | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/acdc-2015-tour/?trackback=tsmclip

Top Bottom