67.64 miles to go!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keith Oates

Janner
Better get some tea and cakes ready for when she passes the mark. Great effort this year let alone this month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
Rhythm Thief said:
I've just registered on Cyclogs ... how does it work? I'm hoping it'll motivate me out on my bike, even if my monthly target is a measly 100 miles.
Um, it's quite easy really. Baggy and I just log our ride each day. Back in 2006 we both had a big year, I was aiming for 4000 and ended up with 6000, which I was very pleased with. Knackered me for the year after though...:tongue:

Don't forget to join the Cycle Chat team!

redjedi

Über Member
:blush:

Well done Aunty, I don't know how you manage to get so many miles in.
Am I reading it correctly when it says you've spent 3 days in the saddle this month? :blush:

And after a couple of threats, I've added this morning's commute, but I won't be challenging the top just yet.

summerdays said:
To motivate yourself ... aim to climb on top of the person above you;):ohmy:

Better get on your bike then Summerdays as I'll be approaching from the rear!

If that's not scary motivation enough for you then I don't know what is :tongue:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
:blush::bravo:
C'mon Auntie you can do it

peanut

don't want to put a downer on things but why is achieving a certain mileage such an important thing ?
I have recently re-evaluated my cycling and realised that every time I go out I tend to ride quite hard and record the results and compare with previous outings .

All very well but I've also realised that I am not enjoying my rides so much because I'm not sitting up and taking in my surroundings . This is what cycling is all about for me. The freedom ,being out in the open with lovely countryside and interesting things to look at. Also the physical challenge of course.

I'm thinking of leaving my computer off the bike and taking my camera out with me more so I will enjoy my rides more. I think this is going to motivate me more than just seeing how many thousands of hours cycling I can endure in a given period.

enjoy your ride Auntie

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
You certainly don't want to ride only to see the numbers on a computer mount up. But it can be good to set goals as long as they are realistic and you don't beat yourself up about missing them. It feels really good when you get that sense of achievement. That said ... I never go anywhere without my camera which does pull down my ave speed as you are looking around you and stopping. But that is more important than my ave speed.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
peanut said:
don't want to put a downer on things but why is achieving a certain mileage such an important thing ?
I have recently re-evaluated my cycling and realised that every time I go out I tend to ride quite hard and record the results and compare with previous outings .

All very well but I've also realised that I am not enjoying my rides so much because I'm not sitting up and taking in my surroundings . This is what cycling is all about for me. The freedom ,being out in the open with lovely countryside and interesting things to look at. Also the physical challenge of course.

I'm thinking of leaving my computer off the bike and taking my camera out with me more so I will enjoy my rides more. I think this is going to motivate me more than just seeing how many thousands of hours cycling I can endure in a given period.

enjoy your ride Auntie

you have a very good point there Peanut but a lot of us are doing commutes. For me, this means I want to get the time down, without compromising my safety, in order to make the bike the No1 choice timewise as well. I can already do the door to door 15 minutes faster than bike/train/train/courtesy bus. Another 15 minutes of improvement(get to 17mph average from 14) and I'll be on a par with my car in rush hour traffic. I'll never match the car on quiet roads as that would need me to go at 23mph over 20 miles. Social rides I would treat differently and, I imagine, when I get to fitness/speed/weight targets, then the commute may well ease up as well.

I can already 'pootle' at a much faster speed than my original attempts, it's all relative. My top cruising speed is probably 4-6mph slower than a fit regular riders, but I reckon I can get to that level.

HelenD123

Guru
A lot of my mileage comes from commuting so recording it gives me more of an incentive to take the bike rather than the car, and I always feel better for it. I'm also training for a long ride so need to know how close I'm getting to the mileage I need to be able to do. I know what you mean though Peanut. We need to be warey of losing the pleasure of just being out for a ride.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Very good post Summerdays,
I have set myself a realistic target of 8000 miles. (667miles a month).
Now I know I can do this, for me it's not an unrealistic target. But it is more miles then last year and is something still to aim for, for a self sense of achievement.

Though as I found to my cost last month with my race to Helen, you start to push yourself too much and get's a little obsessive. Now I am racing only myself rather then anyone else on Cyclogs. (though it is still nice to see one's self overtaking others)

summerdays said:
You certainly don't want to ride only to see the numbers on a computer mount up But it can be good to set goals as long as they are realistic and you don't beat yourself up about missing them. It feels really good when you get that sense of achievement. That said ... I never go anywhere without my camera which does pull down my ave speed as you are looking around you and stopping. But that is more important than my ave speed.

Top Bottom