A gardening question about Crocosmias

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I know that there are some people on here who know lots about gardening, so can you help me please.

I have various varieties of Croscosmia in my garden, either in the soil, or some in pots. Some of the clumps now need dividing. Some clumps have what appear to be new bulbs established on the top of the clump. Green shoots can be seen coming up from bulbs that are further down, ie in the soil.

My gardening book(s) say divide the clump. Does that mean break off the one on top, and replant it separately under the soil, or leave it attached to the one that it has grown on top of? Has the new top one got a root system that goes throught the ones below it?

I would very much like some help on this, as some of the crocosmias are the more unusual ones, and I do not want to risk them dying. Also some were bought in pots, and I was told not to "disturb" them. They need to be disturbed now to repot, or should they go in the ground. (I would like to keep them in the pots). Thank you for your help.

3-IN-One

Reguardless of type just drive a spade down in-between and split and lift.

Trust is the key here.

Just make sure when you plant your split there is a good hole and you use a good compost and feed for a few weeks.

It will spread everywhere if not contained and if you do try and clear ground of it you only have to miss a few corms and it will come back as bad as ever. Now having got that over Crocosmia ( Montbretia) is best split by shoving a spade through the middle of the clump about now or after flowering. Hope this is of some help. HG.

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
It is Crocosmis "George Davison" with spikes of golden yellow flowers. I also have Montbretia and Lucifer, in large clumps.

The yellow one is just a few, currently in a pot. My question is how to split the ones that appear to have grown on top of others in the pot. If I break, cut etc the top ones off, will they root on their own?

I pull mine up every two years - thin them out and then re-plant.They are really hardy things so I wouldn't worry about killing them off - but I do this after they have flowered so you may get a late showing this year if you move them now.

Top Bottom