A gentle pootle in Kent - Sunday 1st August

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
OK I have a route planned to Ashford. I looked at yours Martin and there is too much A21 on it. No way is cycling through Pembury on that road any fun. So I have plotted a route through the country lanes. It will be nice and quiet on a sunday morning. It's 55 miles from Bromley.

Clive & Martin, how about you guys meet at the DT then Clive can bring you to mine and I will meet you on the A21 at Frankie and Bennies. I don't fancy going to the DT as it would mean coming back again.

Yep let's go your way then. 55 miles probably means we should allow 3.5 - 4 hours so we're looking at 6.30ish at the DT?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yep, there are couple of hills too, but nothing major.. and a marvellous fast descent into Tonbridge.
I will meet you at Frankie and Benny's on the A21 at about 6.50 - 7.00ish.

Yep let's go your way then. 55 miles probably means we should allow 3.5 - 4 hours so we're looking at 6.30ish at the DT?

ok. Im gonna take the day off work on Monday as I am expecting this may take its toll on me. If I make it all the way round I will do my century and beat my previous PB

Not sure of the terrain down but I am willing to give it a go due to the promise of a genteel pace when we arrive.

Ian can you upload to file so i can see?.

DaveP

I'm now aiming for the flattest possible route, as shown here 48.6 miles in total with a whopping 402 feet total climbed, with a maximum elevation of 152 feet above sea level!

The plan will be to head out from Ashford Station, meander on the back roads to Dymchurch, go along the sea wall, maybe paddle in the sea a bit, then head back inland for a spot of lunch in St Mary in the Marsh, then head back to the coast, all the way down to Dungeness lighthouse, have an ice cream or two, admire the glory of the world's second largest shingle bank, then marvel at the post modern architecture of the power station, before heading back via a 1,000 year old yew tree in Old Romney, to the station.

It shouldn't be too exerting.

Be careful of the Col de Bilsington, nasty ramp up:laugh:

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
Be careful of the Col de Bilsington, nasty ramp up:laugh:

I think that counts for most of the climbing on the route!

For the lunch stop at the Star Inn, St Mary in the Marsh, they've asked for an indication of what food people will want. Although they do a full roast menu, there's also bar snacks, baguettes, chilli, vegetarian lasagne, cream cheese & broccoli bake and other stuff. The full menu is shown here - let the pages scroll over to view the roast menu and bar menu, and let me know in the next couple of days what you're likely to want.

I'll go for the homemade Chilli with garlic bread please.:hungry:

sodding Safari didnt like the look of that menu so I will go for the Chili however if there is a spag bol on there then that would be preferable.

Anyone know what the weather is doing?......

martint235

Dog on a bike
whats up with it???

Broken spoke on the rear. So far all the LBS have said they can do it at times that weren't suitable for me. Taking it to one in Welling tonight, should get it back tomorrow night or early Sat (along with a couple of spare spokes!!!)

Oh and there's no laughing allowed at my bike. Just put a Brooks saddle on it and it looks different. It didn't stop the flipping creaking noise though, going to get LBS to look at it. It's definitely around the seat tube, seat post, saddle area!!! :angry:

martint235

Dog on a bike
Broken spoke on the rear. So far all the LBS have said they can do it at times that weren't suitable for me. Taking it to one in Welling tonight, should get it back tomorrow night or early Sat (along with a couple of spare spokes!!!)

Oh and there's no laughing allowed at my bike. Just put a Brooks saddle on it and it looks different. It didn't stop the flipping creaking noise though, going to get LBS to look at it. It's definitely around the seat tube, seat post, saddle area!!! :angry:

Right, bike in. Should be ready tomorrow.

Mista Preston, 6.30am Sunday at Dripping Tap and Ian 6.50ish at F&Bs on the A21. Is that it? Is no one else going to cycle to Ashford with us and make a day of it?? :sad:

Top Bottom